Dating in the theocratic republic of America

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2016, 07:41 PM
Dating in the theocratic republic of America
How is your love life now that you're an atheist? I've made it a deal breaker to date anyone that is religious. Agnostic or non religious is fine, but I've found some christian men will lie about being christian to date me by skirting around the issue. Same with being child free.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2016, 07:57 PM
RE: Dating in the theocratic republic of America
(27-08-2016 07:41 PM)ricepudding12 Wrote:  How is your love life now that you're an atheist? I've made it a deal breaker to date anyone that is religious. Agnostic or non religious is fine, but I've found some christian men will lie about being christian to date me by skirting around the issue. Same with being child free.

As soon as you find that an individual is a lying asshole, exit, stage right. I've been married for 35 years, so I can't offer much more than that, in the way of advice.
[+] 7 users Like Fireball's post
27-08-2016, 08:58 PM
(27-08-2016 07:57 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(27-08-2016 07:41 PM)ricepudding12 Wrote:  How is your love life now that you're an atheist? I've made it a deal breaker to date anyone that is religious. Agnostic or non religious is fine, but I've found some christian men will lie about being christian to date me by skirting around the issue. Same with being child free.

As soon as you find that an individual is a lying asshole, exit, stage right. I've been married for 35 years, so I can't offer much more than that, in the way of advice.
Congratulations on your lasting marriage!

Yeah its hard dating in the south but luckily some of the few atheist men I talked to have been cool. Christian ones not so much. Meh

[+] 1 user Likes ricepudding12's post
27-08-2016, 09:09 PM
Never had one, then again been an Atheist my whole life..........Consider

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
27-08-2016, 10:39 PM
I've never dated an atheist ... every woman I've ever dated has believed in the Christian god (except one who was closer to deism, and another who was agnostic.)

I never had any problems because I never asked them to change their beliefs, nor did they ask that of me. Mutual respect goes a long ways. Not all those relationships were long-lived, of course, but none of them broke up for religious reasons.

It helps that my personality scares off fundamentalists, too.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
27-08-2016, 10:46 PM
Just as bad as when I was a Christian Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Dex's post
27-08-2016, 10:58 PM
I'm married to a Christian, and she is wonderful. She's not a literalist, and she is an evolutionary biologist, so I think the key is not avoiding Christians, just the ones who'd think less of you (or anyone else) for not accepting their beliefs, and finding ones who are literate in science.

I'd give that same advice for dating atheists, as well.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 13 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
28-08-2016, 04:18 AM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2016 04:21 AM by unsapien.)
My wife(Filipino) came to Canada just to work and make money to help her family, she hated white Europeans, she thought they were cold and unfeeling, because of her experiences with "tourists" back in her home country.

We worked together, took the bus home together. After a time we became close, and I asked her if I could kiss her, she said "no". It turns out that the fact that I had asked her instead of just "going for it" made a big difference. I had shown her respect, which she didn't expect (from a white man).

We've been married 18 yrs, she's still catholic, I'm still an atheist.

Christian and atheist alike... there are people that put up sign posts telling you what is ahead, but don't stop you from continuing, and people that put up fences that mean go no further. Telling the difference is the key.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 4 users Like unsapien's post
28-08-2016, 04:19 AM
Married for 20 years to a fellow atheist. I think region makes a difference, because most of my dating life was in two big cities (Chicago and Boston), and most of the guys I dated didn't even mention religion...and I don't think any of them went to church.

If a guy lies to you about anything important, he is not a keeper.
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
28-08-2016, 07:12 AM
Married 13 years to an evangelical. It does cause a bunch of friction in an otherwise great relationship. She doesn't talk to me about it much although I know she wants me to change. I just be myself.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 4 users Like The Organic Chemist's post