Dating in the theocratic republic of America

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-08-2016, 11:19 AM
RE: Dating in the theocratic republic of America
(29-08-2016 08:53 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 07:52 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I have never met one irl either. As far as I am aware, I am the only one on the planet outside the internet. It can be a lonely road to be on.

Almost every city I have lived in (over the size of, say, 100K residents or with a local university) has had an atheist or humanist group. I met some truly amazing people at those meetings. It might be worth looking into.

We'll still be here when you wanna go slumming on the internet, of course. Big Grin

I know there is one here in Indianapolis but they meet on the north side at times I can't go. Also, I am terrified of what would ensue if my wife found out I was doing that. It seems that every time she is reminded I am an atheist, we have an unpleasant conversation. It is just easier and less painful to go slumming. It also keeps me from having something to post in the thread about lying. Tongue

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
29-08-2016, 11:38 AM
(28-08-2016 11:54 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What is this thing you call "dating"?

It's when you change hands.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 4 users Like Minimalist's post
29-08-2016, 01:57 PM
(29-08-2016 07:52 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(28-08-2016 08:19 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Wow...sorry it's just weird to see posts like this. My best friend irl is an atheist, his girlfriend is one, students I've had have been atheists, etc.

I have never met one irl either. As far as I am aware, I am the only one on the planet outside the internet. It can be a lonely road to be on.

Wow. Sorry to hear that. I never thought of my home state of WV being particularly irreligious, nor did I think the number of atheists I've met was due to being in academia (best friend never went to college). And it doesn't sound like, from things with your wife, that driving to that humanist group would be easy either. Sad I've never been, but there are two atheist groups here in the community, but strangely no SSA.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-08-2016, 02:01 PM
(29-08-2016 07:52 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(28-08-2016 08:19 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  Wow...sorry it's just weird to see posts like this. My best friend irl is an atheist, his girlfriend is one, students I've had have been atheists, etc.

I have never met one irl either. As far as I am aware, I am the only one on the planet outside the internet. It can be a lonely road to be on.
I would say that it is strange but majority of atheists that I've met during my student years. Other than that I see only believers around me.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
01-09-2016, 01:00 AM
(29-08-2016 02:01 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 07:52 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I have never met one irl either. As far as I am aware, I am the only one on the planet outside the internet. It can be a lonely road to be on.

I would say that it is strange but majority of atheists that I've met during my student years. Other than that I see only believers around me.

And I would say that this is because atheists are, generally speaking, not interested in announcing themselves and "spreading the good word" of atheism... so you could be in a room full of literally dozens of them, and never know it. Christians tend to be more visible/vocal/demonstrative. Perhaps we need more icons, such as the crucifix and WWJD bracelets they often wear, etc., in order to become more visible to other atheists. Ironically, when a few of us do get more visible, vocal, or demonstrative, it really seems to piss the Christians off. Laugh out load

Amusingly, on XBox last night, I sent a message to a fellow player congratulating him on doing the right thing--he and I had gone to an undefended side of the map and fought like hell against half the enemy team before being overrun, while 13 of the 15 players on our team all went to one place and left the other half of the map wide open--and he replied in French that he couldn't understand my text because he was French. So I sent him (in French) a second message saying that I'm a French Cajun from Louisiana, and repeated my original message in French.

He was so delighted that he sent me back a long message talking about how he loved Louisiana food and culture, and ended his text with "Long live France and God bless the United States of America" (translation). I replied that I was an atheist, but thank you for the blessing anyway, and I preferred "Vive la liberté." He said that he was also an atheist, but thought Americans were all very religious. I can certainly see where he might have gotten that impression. Heh.

Anyway, a nice moment of international friendship between Francophone atheists. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
01-09-2016, 09:31 AM
(29-08-2016 08:24 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(28-08-2016 12:10 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  I couldn't date a theist. Just couldn't. Doesn't matter how moderate they were, either. And I couldn't date a guy who... oh, I don't know the correct term for this. Casual christian? Un-thinking atheist?

In the case of the casual christian, the types who either don't go to church or ever talk about god or anything but if something tragic comes up in their lives, they jump head first into the faith again. Or all of a sudden they're really serious about their faith. Facepalm Case in point my ex-husband who never went to church with me and wasn't by any appearances a serious, on-fire christian and so I thought I might be okay telling him I was an atheist but lo and behold all of a sudden that shit meant something to him. Dodgy That's the kind of christian I mean. Doesn't matter how moderate or casual they seem, when shit hits the fan they go running back to jeebus and, in my area, fundamentalism.

Or in the case of the "un-thinking" atheist, someone who just hasn't really thought about god or religion before and haven't really debunked the god claim or anything like that - someone where it just isn't that big a deal in their lives until again, they get hit with something bad in their lives and because they've been immersed in a christian (or whatever else) culture, they think well maybe I need some of that, too.

No. I need a guy who has really sat down and thought about the god claim and weighed everything and found it lacking and has rejected that bullshit. Which, thankfully, I have.

There is just no way I could date a theist - I've very little respect for them, for one. And I couldn't even date a guy who doesn't care enough to look into the theist claims, either, because there is the risk he could be drawn into it when something bad happens in his life (and bad things happen to everyone). I've seen it happen too many times.

Get out of my head EA! If you changed the gender your post this is exactly how I think. I would have never thought of the un-thinking atheist as a problem but now that you bring it up I can and do. Thumbsup

The only difference is the respect part. It has taken me years to get beyond the anger and now realize that for many they are just as much a victim of religious upbringing as I was. Look at it this way, does the current Escape Artist look back at the young EA and feel she is unworthy of respect OR instead think she was caught in the circumstances of her childhood and needs the opportunity to break away?

Anyway, if I was single I’d be looking for a thinking atheist as well, I simply don’t have the desire nor patience to deal with that aspect of someone’s makeup. I’d look for a person who had already broken the chains of religious doctrine through deep thought and self introspection.

A lot of times, I look back at the young EA and don't respect her. I am angry at her. I feel I should have somehow broken free of religion sooner but was too stupid to do so. I am often not kind to myself. Undecided

Though, lately I am trying some different things to try and feel the second way you mentioned - to feel more empathetic toward that younger me. We'll see if it works. I'm still very much in the anger stage. I hope I can get past it, as you did.

01-09-2016, 07:11 PM
(01-09-2016 09:31 AM)Escape Artist Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 08:24 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Get out of my head EA! If you changed the gender your post this is exactly how I think. I would have never thought of the un-thinking atheist as a problem but now that you bring it up I can and do. Thumbsup

The only difference is the respect part. It has taken me years to get beyond the anger and now realize that for many they are just as much a victim of religious upbringing as I was. Look at it this way, does the current Escape Artist look back at the young EA and feel she is unworthy of respect OR instead think she was caught in the circumstances of her childhood and needs the opportunity to break away?

Anyway, if I was single I’d be looking for a thinking atheist as well, I simply don’t have the desire nor patience to deal with that aspect of someone’s makeup. I’d look for a person who had already broken the chains of religious doctrine through deep thought and self introspection.

A lot of times, I look back at the young EA and don't respect her. I am angry at her. I feel I should have somehow broken free of religion sooner but was too stupid to do so. I am often not kind to myself. Undecided

Though, lately I am trying some different things to try and feel the second way you mentioned - to feel more empathetic toward that younger me. We'll see if it works. I'm still very much in the anger stage. I hope I can get past it, as you did.

I have a tough time and still kick myself quite a bit for not admitting my atheism, myself. I personally just try to look at what I used to be like, and tell myself that I have grown in a LOT of other ways, as well, and try to forgive myself for immaturity and ignorance. Look how you are now! You ought to celebrate that instead of dwelling too much on past mistakes and ignorance.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
02-09-2016, 02:48 AM
(29-08-2016 11:38 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  
(28-08-2016 11:54 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What is this thing you call "dating"?

It's when you change hands.

P. sure that's called cheating.

Dating
is when you have some Marvin playing in the background.
02-09-2016, 05:30 AM
(02-09-2016 02:48 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 11:38 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  It's when you change hands.

Dating

That's so gaye. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
02-09-2016, 08:48 AM
(02-09-2016 02:48 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(29-08-2016 11:38 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  It's when you change hands.

Dating

I hear Barry White is good for that, too. I just waggle my eyebrows.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post