David Koch donates $35M to Smithsonian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2012, 07:34 AM
David Koch donates $35M to Smithsonian
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/...saur-hall/

That's a lot of money for a donation. And that's on top of the $15M he's already given them.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2012, 09:13 AM
RE: David Koch donates $35M to Smithsonian
Aw fuck...whats in it for him? Did he tie strings to the donation...to makecreationism look like science or something.

"Praise Sweet Baby Jesus!" - RevJ. Cool

My Sites: www.jesuschristarcade.com - www.facebook.com/jesuschristarcade - Twitter@jesusarcade
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2012, 09:20 AM
(04-05-2012 09:13 AM)reverendjeremiah Wrote:  Aw fuck...whats in it for him? Did he tie strings to the donation...to makecreationism look like science or something.
Actually this donation is for a dinosaur hall that is being named after him. The 15M went to an exhibit on 6 million years on human evolution.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
04-05-2012, 02:05 PM
(04-05-2012 07:34 AM)germanyt Wrote:  http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/...saur-hall/

That's a lot of money for a donation. And that's on top of the $15M he's already given them.
http://www.forbes.com/profile/david-koch/

That is absolute chump change to him.
04-05-2012, 02:26 PM
(04-05-2012 02:05 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  
(04-05-2012 07:34 AM)germanyt Wrote:  http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/05/...saur-hall/

http://www.forbes.com/profile/david-koch/

That is absolute chump change to him.
I agree but that's still a substantial and very generous donation.

I wasn't aware of his donations to cancer research.

"David, who like his brothers has suffered from prostate cancer, says his biggest contributions go toward a "moon shot" campaign to finding the cure for cancer. He's contributed $750 million so far. Despite their reputation as the Left's favorite villains, Charles and David have kept a low profile in politics recently, giving a modest -- for them -- $120,000 to Republican causes in the past year."

-Mark Twain
04-05-2012, 02:26 PM
Yes well, he's still a twat.

Nothing I like more than a poser trying to run interference by "proving" to everyone that he:

1) is not a complete ultra right wing asshole.

2) cares about the arts and science.

3) gives a shit about anyone but himself.

4) all of the above.

Kansas. Fred Phelps and the Koch brothers.

Everything was fine here when it was just tornados and flying monkeys. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
04-05-2012, 02:30 PM
(04-05-2012 02:26 PM)kim Wrote:  Yes well, he's still a twat.

Nothing I like more than a poser trying to run interference by "proving" to everyone that he:

1) is not a complete ultra right wing asshole.

2) cares about the arts and science.

3) gives a shit about anyone but himself.

4) all of the above.

Kansas. Fred Phelps and the Koch brothers.

Everything was fine here when it was just tornados and flying monkeys. Shy
He does have a BA in arts and masters in science from MIT.

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
04-05-2012, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2012 03:01 PM by kim.)
(04-05-2012 02:30 PM)germanyt Wrote:  He does have a BA in arts and masters in science from MIT.
I believe his BA is in chemical engineering, but I am glad he does support the arts more than most, and I appreciate his funding of cancer research, among other things.

But the direction of most of his other money could be far better spent. Shy

Hmm... I could be confusing him with his brother Charles... they are two peas in a pod.

Nah... they are both pretty much the same.
I think Charles is the one currently making trouble in Kansas, cause he still lives here.
Oh, they both give a lot of money very generously to the arts and science.

I'm just willing to look the gift horse in the mouth. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
06-05-2012, 05:07 AM
Meh, 35 million to a museum that most people will never get to see just seems like a poor charity imo. How much money does one museum really need?

Cancer research on the other hand is a much better avenue.
06-05-2012, 05:20 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 05:39 AM by kim.)
(06-05-2012 05:07 AM)jackashflash Wrote:  Meh, 35 million to a museum that most people will never get to see just seems like a poor charity imo. How much money does one museum really need?

Cancer research on the other hand is a much better avenue.
A charitable tax write off of 35 million (along with his others) will dump him into a very comfortable tax shelter for his coming quarter estimates.

Dodgy