David, The Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 2.6 Average
19-10-2012, 03:16 PM
RE: David, The Theist
Bucky, those web cache links are broken.

Hyper text the original links:

[url=(url address here)]link word here[/url]

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-10-2012, 03:18 PM
(19-10-2012 03:16 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Bucky, those web cache links are broken.

Hyper text the original links:

[url=(url address here)]link word here[/url]

I'm fixing them. I just saw that. Give me a sec.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
19-10-2012, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2012 03:39 PM by GirlyMan.)
Well that was fun.

David Dude holds his own pretty well in the dohyō. Many of us here couldn't give less of a shit about your metaphysics, David, everybody's gotta form their own. If it works for you that's all that matters. We got a dude who worships Gwyneth Paltrow. We got a Hellbound Preacher as an admin. We got a vulgar hairless talking girly monkey who only reads the Red Letters in the New Testament and is convinced he's Jesus. We got a train wreck running around here somewhere trying to reinvent the Dewey Decimal system. It's all good.

Again Welcome, and I hope you stick around.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-10-2012, 03:38 PM
Yeah, rabid. Buncha fucking piranha. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
19-10-2012, 03:51 PM
He may not realize the extant to which we have all been bombarded with theological dribble.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
19-10-2012, 06:03 PM
(19-10-2012 09:15 AM)The Theist Wrote:  Was Adam a real person? Yes. He was listed in the legal genealogy as a father to children, therefore we can safely assume that he was, at least according to the writers of the Bible, a real person. He was referenced as a real person by future writers of the Bible. They didn't think of him as allegorical.

Isaac Newton was, by far, the most respected and learned expert on ancient texts of his time, perhaps all time, and he was a theologian.

I edited this quote to only have your responses so that it would be easier to point out some problems I have with what you said.

1. It doesn't matter that later biblical writers thought that Adam was a real person, that has NO bearing on whether or not he WAS a real person. Some people might believe that Spider Man is real, they read about him in a book, why wouldn't he be real? What you THINK is real, and what IS real are often two very different things.

2. As was pointed out by Vosur, sure Isaac Newton was and still is respected, for his SCIENCE, not for his theology. He was also into alchemy, which is incredibly asinine.

If we can use incredibly smart scientists as arguments for our cause, how about Einstein? At the most a deist, most likely an atheist. Hawking? Atheist. Along with many more. But guess what? That doesn't matter. That is called "Argument from Authority" and is invalid.

(NOTE: I see that Bucky has already done an excellent job addressing the points that I wanted to, but I have posted my take on these points all the same, if I don't practice, I'll never be as accomplished as he is. Tongue)

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Near's post
19-10-2012, 06:29 PM
David, The Theist
(19-10-2012 06:03 PM)Near Wrote:  
(19-10-2012 09:15 AM)The Theist Wrote:  Was Adam a real person? Yes. He was listed in the legal genealogy as a father to children, therefore we can safely assume that he was, at least according to the writers of the Bible, a real person. He was referenced as a real person by future writers of the Bible. They didn't think of him as allegorical.

Isaac Newton was, by far, the most respected and learned expert on ancient texts of his time, perhaps all time, and he was a theologian.

I edited this quote to only have your responses so that it would be easier to point out some problems I have with what you said.

1. It doesn't matter that later biblical writers thought that Adam was a real person, that has NO bearing on whether or not he WAS a real person. Some people might believe that Spider Man is real, they read about him in a book, why wouldn't he be real? What you THINK is real, and what IS real are often two very different things.

2. As was pointed out by Vosur, sure Isaac Newton was and still is respected, for his SCIENCE, not for his theology. He was also into alchemy, which is incredibly asinine.

If we can use incredibly smart scientists as arguments for our cause, how about Einstein? At the most a deist, most likely an atheist. Hawking? Atheist. Along with many more. But guess what? That doesn't matter. That is called "Argument from Authority" and is invalid.

(NOTE: I see that Bucky has already done an excellent job addressing the points that I wanted to, but I have posted my take on these points all the same, if I don't practice, I'll never be as accomplished as he is. Tongue)

The only problem I have with your argument is Spider-man IS a real person. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
19-10-2012, 06:32 PM

What is "the legal genealogy?"

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
19-10-2012, 06:32 PM
(19-10-2012 06:29 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(19-10-2012 06:03 PM)Near Wrote:  I edited this quote to only have your responses so that it would be easier to point out some problems I have with what you said.

The only problem I have with your argument is Spider-man IS a real person. Drinking Beverage

Fact.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
19-10-2012, 06:35 PM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2012 06:41 PM by kpax.)
(17-10-2012 11:01 PM)The Theist Wrote:  You do realize how ridiculous it is to equate referencing the Bible in a discussion about the Bible as circular, don't you. I want a full report on J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord Of The Rings . . . without any reference to it.

#1 - It's possible to meet with Tolkien to have a face to face conversation about the book. Can we do that with God?
#2 - It's a universal understanding that Lord Of The Rings is fiction. Can we say that about the bible?
#3 - Would it make sense to live ones life as if Lord Of The Rings was real?
#4 - Would it make sense to bend laws and policies around Lord Of The Rings as if it were real?
#5 - Is it right to condemn others for not living the laws of land as defined in Lord Of The Rings ?

It's not ridiculous to ask for proof to back up major, life altering claims such as those in the bible and if these claims were true it wouldn't be so hard to prove outside the bible. Instead one must have a good imagination such as when you read Lord Of The Rings. Ironic.
[+] 4 users Like kpax's post