David, The Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 2.6 Average
17-10-2012, 11:01 PM
David, The Theist
Hello everyone,

I'm David Henson. I was born an atheist in the Bible belt, my family and friends are all atheists with the exception of my mother. At the age of 27 I began an intense study of the Bible in order to debunk Christianity and became a believer instead. I discovered the gross misrepresentation of the Bible by Christendom, and briefly studied the basic histories of Buddhism, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Shintoism and Taoism, in addition to Christianity.

I loath religion in general, and consider myself irreligious as well as apolitical. I see the two as being very similar, though the political as more immediately dangerous even than religion.

I'm homosexual, was born that way and practiced until I discovered the truth of the Bible. Though I have had periods of time when I was unable to resist the natural urges since then for the most part I have abstained from homosexual activity, especially in the last few years. Though I have come to think of it as a disgusting practice I have nothing against homosexuals, nor a self loathing as such.

I find the position of mainstream Christendom's self appointed moral policing of the globe and political meddling extremely objectionable. As a follower of Jesus Christ to the best of my abilities I am no part of the world, the ruler of which is Satan. I don't vote or attempt in any way to influence legislation. I don't judge those outside of the Christian congregation nor would try to impose my lifestyle upon them. Gay marriage, stem cell research, evolution in school, abortion . . . things of that nature. I believe in a real separation of church and state.

I have a website, The Theist, which I have been working on since last December, which is primarily a response to The Skeptic's Annotated Bible with some other stuff of interest to me personally.

I hope we can get along and have some interesting conversations, though at times I am pretty busy with The Theist, I would like a place like this for feedback with atheists as well as theists, agnostics, etc.

[Image: logo2.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2012, 11:11 PM
RE: David, The Theist
Hi David.

Welcome to TTA.

So, where is the evidence you found for a God?
Find all posts by this user
17-10-2012, 11:15 PM
Welcome!

So, why did you turn away from your natural sexual preference?

It's sort of confusing how you worded things - it seems as though you contradicted yourself by saying you find the position of mainstream Christendom's self-appointed moral policing objectionable, but you yourself find your homosexuality to be a disgusting practice.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
17-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Welcome to you. You have provided quite an introduction.

What you haven't said is what you are doing in an Atheist site.

Your answer will help with your interest in conversation.

We do have some Theists who frequently post and comment on these threads; one is especially liked.
[+] 1 user Likes depat's post
17-10-2012, 11:29 PM
(17-10-2012 11:11 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Hi David.

Welcome to TTA.

Thanks, Lady Jane, for the welcome.

As for your question, you phrased it with the term a God, which is accurate and I will answer it accordingly. In the ancient Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek used in the Bible the word God means "mighty; strong" anything or anyone who is attributed might greater than the one attributing it or venerated. The Bible uses the word god in application to men, idols, spirit beings, even ones own belly. Anything can be a god. Real or imagined, physical or spiritual. Actually this is true of the English word God as well, though more commonly it is used for the creator in whatever form that may be applied.

The evidence I found in the Bible of the one true God, Jehovah, is the trustworthiness of the fallible translation of his inspired word. I have studied it for years now, two decades, and have yet to find any reason not to trust it completely.

17-10-2012, 11:40 PM
(17-10-2012 11:15 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  Welcome!

So, why did you turn away from your natural sexual preference?

It's sort of confusing how you worded things - it seems as though you contradicted yourself by saying you find the position of mainstream Christendom's self-appointed moral policing objectionable, but you yourself find your homosexuality to be a disgusting practice.

Hi, cheapthrillseaker, thanks for the welcome.

I turned away from my natural sexual preference, in as much as it is possible to do that, because I wanted to please Jehovah God and because I thought that his position on the practice was warranted as my creator.

You could compare it to a promiscuous person changing their ways because they decided they were harmful, or in order to please a partner. This was a personal choice and a very difficult one, and I could have decided the opposite. I chose God over sex.

It doesn't mean that I look down on those who have made an alternate choice for themselves. It isn't my position to judge for them what is disgusting any more than it is their position to do likewise to me or anyone else.

Christendom doesn't think like that. The moral policing of the globe isn't supported by scripture. The Christians decide, supposedly based upon the Bible, what is right for the congregation. Not the world outside of it. The world should do the same regarding the Christian congregation.

The laws against homosexuality to the Jews prior to the messiah applied, likewise, specifically to the Jewish people themselves.

17-10-2012, 11:41 PM
(17-10-2012 11:29 PM)The Theist Wrote:  
(17-10-2012 11:11 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Hi David.

Welcome to TTA.

Thanks, Lady Jane, for the welcome.

As for your question, you phrased it with the term a God, which is accurate and I will answer it accordingly. In the ancient Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek used in the Bible the word God means "mighty; strong" anything or anyone who is attributed might greater than the one attributing it or venerated. The Bible uses the word god in application to men, idols, spirit beings, even ones own belly. Anything can be a god. Real or imagined, physical or spiritual. Actually this is true of the English word God as well, though more commonly it is used for the creator in whatever form that may be applied.

The evidence I found in the Bible of the one true God, Jehovah, is the trustworthiness of the fallible translation of his inspired word. I have studied it for years now, two decades, and have yet to find any reason not to trust it completely.

So your evidence is the Bible?

ETA: Sorry if you feel like you're repeating yourself. I just want to be super clear. Smile
17-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Another question, I hope that's okay. So your friends and family are atheist for the majority. What are their reactions, if you don't mind me asking?
17-10-2012, 11:50 PM
(17-10-2012 11:23 PM)depat Wrote:  Welcome to you. You have provided quite an introduction.

What you haven't said is what you are doing in an Atheist site.

Your answer will help with your interest in conversation.

We do have some Theists who frequently post and comment on these threads; one is especially liked.

Thanks for the welcome, depat.

Typically on atheist forums there are one or two theists who posts stuff that are not objectionable to atheists. They become sort of token members not inciting any real objectionable material in opposition to the atheists. It has been my experience that these theists either are such in a traditional or cultural sense but not terribly informed regarding their beliefs and more atheist than not. Or they are trying to win over atheists without preaching. That's just my own personal experience, and not directed at anyone on this forum because I haven't had the opportunity to have discussions with people here yet.

What you are asking me, is it not, is whether or not I am here to disrupt an atheist forum? If so, the answer to that is no.

I believe that part of a theist perspective is atheism, and part of an atheist perspective is theism. There isn't any reason why we can't disagree intelligently. I enjoy conversations with atheist more than I do with theist, typically. Everyone I know is atheist, except one person.

If my contribution here is unwelcome, I understand and will gladly move on, no worries. If anyone is uninterested in what I have to say, pay me no attention and I will pick up on that respectfully - pretty quick.

[+] 1 user Likes The Theist's post
17-10-2012, 11:55 PM
(17-10-2012 11:41 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  So your evidence is the Bible?

ETA: Sorry if you feel like you're repeating yourself. I just want to be super clear. Smile

Primarily. Though, of course, I compare that evidence with secular histories, as well as archaeological and astronomical data.