David, The Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Votes - 2.6 Average
18-10-2012, 01:41 AM
RE: David, The Theist
Welcome to the forum.

Judging by your posts it seems you are on the fence with which spirituality route you want to take. Hopefully you are interested in the truth and not just trying to mold the bible and these beliefs into your own image. Hopefully you will see how contradictory your statements and beliefs are and choose one side or the other.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kpax's post
18-10-2012, 01:59 AM
(18-10-2012 12:49 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(18-10-2012 12:30 AM)The Theist Wrote:  As far as I can tell homosexuality is a learned behavior.

So why is the science and evidence collected for genetics and hormonal influence (or lack of) during in utero incorrect?

Are you asking me? What is that evidence and dare I say, lack thereof?

Not that it matters much. If the argument is that if God exists then he must have made homosexuals it would be nonsensical, and a demonstration of ignorance of the Bible.

God created Adam and Eve and they bore offspring as they were instructed. Some of them, due to sin, were and are homosexuals, rapists, murderers, alcoholic, blind, etc.

[Image: logo2.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-10-2012, 02:03 AM
(18-10-2012 01:41 AM)kpax Wrote:  Welcome to the forum.

Thanks.

(18-10-2012 01:41 AM)kpax Wrote:  Judging by your posts it seems you are on the fence with which spirituality route you want to take.

Not at all.

(18-10-2012 01:41 AM)kpax Wrote:  Hopefully you are interested in the truth and not just trying to mold the bible and these beliefs into your own image.

Exactly.

(18-10-2012 01:41 AM)kpax Wrote:  Hopefully you will see how contradictory your statements and beliefs are and choose one side or the other.

I don't understand how your first impression of me could have possibly worked out as it has, but, if my statements are contradictory I hope that you will point them out to me.

[Image: logo2.png]
18-10-2012, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2012 08:42 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(18-10-2012 01:32 AM)The Theist Wrote:  Are you suggesting that there are scholars in academic centers who actually speak these languages? Seriously? Because I have debated with some of them and they can barely get through the Waw-Consecutive theory.
I'm self taught.

I see.
There most certainly are. Who have you debated ?

(18-10-2012 01:32 AM)The Theist Wrote:  Philippians 3:19: and their finish is destruction, and their god is their belly, and their glory consists in their shame, and they have their minds upon things on the earth.

Yes. I see what you did there. Obliviously the intent of that verse is not to convey that an actual deity *IS* a belly, but rather a "(main) focus of attention, or behavior" functions as a focus of attention. It's a figure of speech. Do you know what a "figure of speech" is, and why and how that is ubiquitous in scripture ? Do you propose that "pun", and "figure of speech" are not legitimate forms of literary usage in the Bible ? You have removed the verse from it's context, in which the author was discussing "conduct", and purposely changed the meaning to suit your (obviously non-intended) purpose. If that's the sort of mindless literalism you espouse, there is no point in discussing anything further. You're can't possibly be suggesting that the author intended that the text be taken to mean that a belly is actually worshiped, with the intellectual content of a human, as a deity ?

(18-10-2012 01:32 AM)The Theist Wrote:  I defined what I mean when I say god earlier. Anything or anyone attributed a might greater than the one attributing it. As for the Edomite traditions and the Sumerian myth, could you elaborate on any alleged confusion?

There is no confusion. They are two entirely different deities, which got conflated, as any scholar knows. Exactly where do YOU think Javeh, or Jehovah came from, in the history of human ideas ? Consider

By your definition a jet engine could be a god. A thunderstorm could be a god. Are you a "lightning" theist ? Do you worship large waves ? (I do, being a surfer. Tongue) Consider
You cannot possibly be suggesting, that in ancient Hebrew culture Yahweh, and his wife, were worshiped with equal intellectual content as the other gods, or that there was not a hierarchy of deities ? By your definition "god" actually *has* no meaning if it has every meaning. In your (odd) system "god" is a completely relative form of "super pantheism".
You are no theist sir. I don't know what you are, but you don't get to redefine words for your personal use, AND expect that they will have meaning to others.

If you are self-taught, what scholar would you say has had the most influence on your thought ? Do you subscribe to the Documentary Hypothesis, or any of their later developments ?

Since in Christian Theology, it arises only in community, how did you decide you were an exception to that, and what exactly is your method for making sure you are not led astray into heresy ?

Also BTW, anyone who has taken Human Sexuality 101 at a university level knows that sexuality is not a learned behavior. There is absolutely no question about that in Biology and Genetics, Psychology, N euro-biology, and N euro-psychiatry. How did you decide you were competent to make the decision that you know more than the vast majority of all the PhD's in those fields in science ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-10-2012, 02:39 AM (This post was last modified: 18-10-2012 02:43 AM by kpax.)
(18-10-2012 02:03 AM)The Theist Wrote:  I don't understand how your first impression of me could have possibly worked out as it has, but, if my statements are contradictory I hope that you will point them out to me.

It just seems like you are trying to be both a Theist and an Atheist at the same time such as you've created some type of misleading mash up for yourself. I have been in the same position myself for years when I went from a Christian to finally admitting I was an Atheist but for you it's going from Atheist to Christian.

I predict you will either be full Christian or revert back to Atheism in a few years. You are on the fence and you don't realize it, sorry.

Then there is this:

(17-10-2012 11:01 PM)The Theist Wrote:  I'm homosexual, was born that way

(17-10-2012 11:01 PM)The Theist Wrote:  My opinion on that subject is that god doesn't make, as such, homosexuals or for that matter those who are inclined to pedophilia, bestiality, or heterosexual practices. As far as I can tell homosexuality is a learned behavior.
[+] 5 users Like kpax's post
18-10-2012, 06:42 AM
The Bible is not the word of god so much as it is words of the prophets, and these prophets were required to present scripture in their own cultural contexts. For those who believe in infallibility, this explains the seeming contradictions.

One of the pervasive contexts is a desire to separate themselves from what they saw as the decadent behavior of the Greeks and Romans, to wit, homosexuality. The Bible is not god but rather a doorway to god. To see beyond that doorway is to understand the spirit of the law rather than just parrot the letter.

Denying your sexuality does not please god, but rather panders to an obsolete cultural context.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 7 users Like houseofcantor's post
18-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Welcome Smile

Um... God as described in the Bible doesn't seem like a nice guy. Why do you worship him?

Is homosexuality really that bad ? I like gay guys. I like lesbians. God apparently wants to cook them? For what? Some human sticks his prong in the wrong hole and now it's all 'you're gonna burn for eternity' ? Why?
18-10-2012, 07:37 AM
Welcome, David, The Theist.
I am much more of an idefinite article myself... David, ATheist... but DLJ to my friends.

I must say what a resounding pleasure it is to meet here a theist who can actually string a grammatically correct sentence together (with a couple of minor exceptions) given the recent drive-by theist illiterates we have witnessed recently.

(18-10-2012 01:15 AM)The Theist Wrote:  Philippians 3:19: ... and their god is their belly ... and they have their minds upon things on the earth.

This is very true, btw, it certainly applies to many of my Philippian (filipina) friends. Good food and fun times... definitely something to be encouraged.

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
18-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Welcome to our little corner of the net. You seem very articulate. I genuinely hope you stick around.

Be prepared to be a little overwhelmed at times. Many members here tend to get impatient with theists. It can get frustrating for both sides when one side of a debate has 50 people asking questions, and the other side has only one or two people to answer. Bear with us. We mean well. Wink

Oh, and look out for my friend Bucky Ball. He's wicked smart.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
18-10-2012, 08:32 AM
Welcome aboard David. If you post looking for sincere debate and feedback I think you'll be very happy with the quality of responses here. You'll see some theists here that come to troll or preach, that turns into a dogpile really fast.

Going from your first post I hope you stick around.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post