Dawkins Appearance @ country club, cancelled due to comments made to FoxNews

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2011, 08:00 PM
RE: Dawkins Appearance @ country club, cancelled due to comments made to FoxNews
Hey, mysticjbyrd.

I believe Dr. Seuss said it best, "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." I believe that. Your actions speak volumes about who you are as a person. You can besmirch my reputation all you like, but your opinion means nothing to me or to anyone that matters.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2011, 10:22 PM
RE: Dawkins Appearance @ country club, cancelled due to comments made to FoxNews
(25-10-2011 10:14 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Well...

It's not about true or untrue. It's about the motivation.

Can you please explain what his perceived motivation is? I fail to see the negative of the book's purpose.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-10-2011, 10:39 PM
Sounds like some ghosts are about to be exorcized... Sorry the impulse was to much and I lack willpower.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
25-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Hey, GE.

I think that Dawkins' activities for the last decade or so are a matter of public record. Between his books and documentaries and punditry and interviews and speeches and debates and YouTube clips, I think that you can agree that his position has been well established. He is an anti-Theist.

A science book teaches science. This book, from what I've seen and read of it, does teach science, which I think is a positive direction for Dawkins to focus his energies and I give him full props for that, but it still, like his other work, speaks out against religion and, as defined in his book, mythology.

Now if anyone, not just him, but anyone has been on a crusade against another group and then writes a book that specifically targets adolescents (or pre-teens with adult supervision) and that book carries that antagonistic message, there's something a little sketchy about it, irrespective of whether or not we agree or disagree with the content. This is what I mean when I talk about motivation.

So of course I think children should be taught science, but we cannot pretend that no one has ever written a science book before and that this book somehow marks a new era in which children will finally be taught science. Science will be taught with or without this book. So while I think that it's positive that Dawkins has, to a degree it seems, shifted his focus from attacking others to espousing what he himself believes and thinks is important, now that he is closer to simply being the change he wishes to see in the world, I still think that this book carries a part of his antagonistic message and shifts the battle ground from adults to adolescents (who from a developmental standpoint are easy pickins because they are in the midst of determining who they are, what their role is and what they believe in, in short, defining their identity: see Erikson, Piaget, Marcia and others). I think that there might be something underhanded about that.

I think that it’s dangerous to allow ourselves to believe that science and reason are so important that anything and everything we do in service of their promotion is acceptable. That way lies ruin. I think that there are some very reasonable limits and I think that this book rubs up against them. Whether it does or not is a subject for debate, but I think it’s dangerous to just assume that it doesn’t or to attack/dismiss anyone who thinks that it might.

All of that being said, relative to his other work, I think that this new work is positive.

I think that it's a reasonable position to support the teaching of science (which I do in fact support) while at the same time questioning the motivations of a particular author. I feel that I can question a man's motivations without being anti-science.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
26-10-2011, 07:03 AM
I see your point, but I still don't think casting religion as mythology is bad. It will be good for children to read it. I'm not sure if you are one of the site's few religious members, but you have to understand that, if you are, not every share's your views.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
26-10-2011, 07:40 AM

RE: Dawkins Appearance @ country club, canceled due to comments made to FoxNews
I had to watch this video again just to give me a smile.

What i take away from this video more than anything....is what Richard Said in the "Candidate interview" when asked "Are you an Atheist?".
His reply is priceless and something i will be adopting.

"OF COURSE I AM, aren't you?"

We are all born atheist, its just some of the humans decided to buy into a Supernatural Cult. The de facto standard is Atheism, anything else is just an accessory to life!

Dennis
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
26-10-2011, 11:57 AM
1. I bought the book for my kids. Excellent book.

2. I also question Dawkins motives for writing the book.

fortunately, I can seperate the two.

....and for the record, I call bullshit on giving Ghost a negative rep for being "overbearing". He has many views that are "unpopular" on this forum, but overbearing?? WTF?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
26-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Quote:Ghost:
[Dawkins]… shifts the battle ground from adults to adolescents (who from a developmental standpoint are easy pickins because they are in the midst of determining who they are, what their role is and what they believe in, in short, defining their identity: see Erikson, Piaget, Marcia and others). I think that there might be something underhanded about that.
I think that it’s dangerous to allow ourselves to believe that science and reason are so important that anything and everything we do in service of their promotion is acceptable.

[Becky Fischer]… shifts the battle ground from adults to adolescents (who from a developmental standpoint are easy pickins because they are in the midst of determining who they are, what their role is and what they believe in, in short, defining their identity: see Erikson, Piaget, Marcia and others). I think that there might be something underhanded about that.

I think that it’s dangerous to allow ourselves to believe that religion and God are so important that anything and everything we do in service of their promotion is acceptable.

Three words can change a lot of perspective, huh? Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
26-10-2011, 02:55 PM
(26-10-2011 01:45 PM)kim Wrote:  
Quote:Ghost:
[Dawkins]… shifts the battle ground from adults to adolescents (who from a developmental standpoint are easy pickins because they are in the midst of determining who they are, what their role is and what they believe in, in short, defining their identity: see Erikson, Piaget, Marcia and others). I think that there might be something underhanded about that.
I think that it’s dangerous to allow ourselves to believe that science and reason are so important that anything and everything we do in service of their promotion is acceptable.

[Becky Fischer]… shifts the battle ground from adults to adolescents (who from a developmental standpoint are easy pickins because they are in the midst of determining who they are, what their role is and what they believe in, in short, defining their identity: see Erikson, Piaget, Marcia and others). I think that there might be something underhanded about that.

I think that it’s dangerous to allow ourselves to believe that religion and God are so important that anything and everything we do in service of their promotion is acceptable.

Three words can change a lot of perspective, huh? Dodgy

Perhaps both statements are equally true? Gotta be honest, although the three words change the subject matter, I agree with both the first and the second version.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
26-10-2011, 02:59 PM
(26-10-2011 02:55 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Perhaps both statements are equally true? Gotta be honest, although the three words change the subject matter, I agree with both the first and the second version.

You make my point better than I do. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein