Dawkins Appearance @ country club, cancelled due to comments made to FoxNews

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2011, 03:00 PM
RE: Dawkins Appearance @ country club, cancelled due to comments made to FoxNews
(26-10-2011 02:59 PM)kim Wrote:  
(26-10-2011 02:55 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Perhaps both statements are equally true? Gotta be honest, although the three words change the subject matter, I agree with both the first and the second version.

You make my point better than I do. Wink

Nah, just backin you up. Wink

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
26-10-2011, 03:50 PM
RE: Dawkins Appearance @ country club, cancelled due to comments made to FoxNews
Hey, GE.

Quote:I'm not sure if you are one of the site's few religious members, but you have to understand that, if you are, not every share's your views.

I'm not religious. I'm an Agnostic.

I am curious though. What of what I have said made you consider that as a possibility?

Also, I'm well aware of the fact that not everyone on this site shares my views Smile

Hey, Kim and Stark.

I too agree with both statements.

I have zero issue with amending what I said to: I think that it’s dangerous to allow ourselves to believe that ANYTHING is so important that anything and everything we do in service of its promotion is acceptable. That way lies ruin.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
27-10-2011, 05:24 PM

I'm new to the site... former Pastor.. now Atheist.

Statistically 85% of Christians are indoctrinated into their faith before the age of 14... there is saying among the circles I ran in the church that if you don't reach them before 18 ... they probably won't convert. http://home.snu.edu/~hculbert/ages.htm

I myself became a Christian before I was 16 and remained a Christian until I was almost 36... 20 years gone, lost in a delusion.

Taking this into consideration I think it is completely reasonable to teach kids about how to think and how to recognize cultural tradition and mythology. Now does this belong inside a book on science? Well, when you consider that spirituality and religion was in a sense our first attempt at science then yes it does... every culture had origin stories, every culture had stories of what happens at death etc... these were the first attempts at an explanation for the things that happen all around us, they are mythology and shouldn't be hidden from children. What does the I.D. community chant... teach the controversy, well there you go.. teach kids that every culture tried to offer explanations for the things that happen in nature within their respective mythology... and Now Science offers a much better explanation. I don't see anything underhanded in teaching kids facts.

Dan
Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2011, 12:00 AM
Aw, so sad, I love to hear Dr. Dawkins' voice, his accent is lovely.