Dawkins, Ravi on Mockery and Ridicule

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2014, 04:05 AM
Wink Dawkins, Ravi on Mockery and Ridicule
I was watching this video yesterday. I had to watch it a few times as I initially strongly agreed with Dawkins but thought maybe Ravi's argument's had some merit, and maybe Dawkins was just being "Angry."

I really think Dawkins was saying to mock the beliefs more than mock the person for the beliefs. What are your thoughts?

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2014, 05:46 AM
RE: Dawkins, Ravi on Mockery and Ridicule
Religious whackos push their beliefs on everyone around them so they should be able to deal with the consequences.
[+] 2 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
20-11-2014, 07:31 AM
(20-11-2014 04:05 AM)microterf Wrote:  What are your thoughts?

Another jackass who supports violence done in the name of religion.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
20-11-2014, 09:37 AM
"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus."

- Thomas Jefferson
[+] 3 users Like Bear100's post
20-11-2014, 09:45 AM
From another leading thinker of this age:

"The problem with writing about religion is that you run the risk of offending sincerely religious people, and they come after you with machetes."

- Dave Barry

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
21-11-2014, 04:23 AM
I say mock it, mock it till it dies Big Grin

someone call the satanists, nonsense needs to be mocked more
21-11-2014, 10:56 AM
I trust many of you know Ravi Zacharias was an atheist before he was a leading Christian apologist.

While I can agree that Dawkins says mock belief, not the person with an ad hom, the way he avoids certain debates with certain apologists, it looks almost like he mocks them. I would like to see more debates whether between Presidential candidates or atheists and Christians to inject fresh air into the issues. And The Q agree!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Ravi is a guy who spends a lot of time saying nothing at all, but in a way that makes believers feel like he has made a compelling argument. The way he goes about this is to tell a story in which either he himself or someone he knows "wins" an argument against someone important-sounding. He then takes credit for the victory. Almost always missing from his monologues are the actual argument or an actual defense of his ideas.

I honestly don't recall him making a single cogent point, despite having spent several hours listening to him dance around such points. The formulation of the actual arguments he makes is almost solely argument from authority, particularly argument from his claim to have defeated some authority who luckily isn't here to tell their side of the story (if they exist at all - I've heard enough to be convinced he has no qualms about lying to make one of these stories work).

In this monologue the points I heard were:
* Those other guys (Muslims) are worse than us
* If Dawkins mocks some belief then we don't have to listen to his arguments because he obviously isn't interested in serious debate. Not like us. We're definitely morally superior and wouldn't use anything but the purest logical forms of argument.
* Bad people are bad because they make professors pull their pants down in front of their students with their terrifying weapon of ridicule against which no professor can defend themselves. The suffering caused by this weapon is so terrible as to break the hearts of Muslims (weren't we supposed to be talking about atheists at some point here?) and make them apologise and probably become Christians because Ravi likes to imply that about people for whom the implication is false. Therefore, if you're not a bad person then you must turn to Jesus.

I don't care much for Dawkins, but given the context in which he was speaking I don't see a need for him to have added any more caveats to what he said than he already included. As for Ravi I feel like I have given him as much time as he deserves.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 4 users Like Hafnof's post
21-11-2014, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2014 11:49 AM by kim.)
I didn't watch the vid.
I'm personally not a fan of Dawkins but sure, certainly anything ridiculous practically creates its own mockery... have at it, I say.

However, it needs to be said that mockery also creates it's own fine line. If something one charishes is thrown up to ridicule, one will usually defend it, even if one recognizes it to be just as ridiculous as its mockers.

Is it practical to think "faith" or "belief" can be eradicated from the majority of the world's population within say... the next thousand years? Highly doubtful. However, is it practical to think the mainstream view of religious dogma can be changed to view it as ridiculous and even dangerous? That is most certainly within reach.

Religion is a detestable, oppressive thing and its ridicule is justifiable as long as the mockery doesn't become personal. If the mockery becomes personal then, ridicule becomes detestable, oppressive and unproductive.

The fine line will always be personal. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
21-11-2014, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2014 12:51 PM by CleverUsername.)
There's no reason to not mock religion. It's a ridiculous belief. Ridiculous beliefs get mocked. Just because you really really really believe it doesn't mean it's worthy of being exempt from ridicule.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post