Dawkins, Ravi on Mockery and Ridicule

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2014, 12:58 PM
RE: Dawkins, Ravi on Mockery and Ridicule
(21-11-2014 11:54 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  There's no reason to not mock religion. It's a ridiculous belief. Ridiculous beliefs get mocked. Just because you really really really believe it doesn't mean it's worthy of being exempt from ridicule.

But ad homs and ridicule show a lack of respect for the believers and for one's self also.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2014, 01:05 PM
Re: RE: Dawkins, Ravi on Mockery and Ridicule
(21-11-2014 12:58 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(21-11-2014 11:54 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  There's no reason to not mock religion. It's a ridiculous belief. Ridiculous beliefs get mocked. Just because you really really really believe it doesn't mean it's worthy of being exempt from ridicule.

But ad homs and ridicule show a lack of respect for the believers and for one's self also.

Why would you automatically assume the believers deserve respect or that ones self should show ones self respect anyway?

Some people respond better to mockery in ways of opening their mind and to conversing than they do to logically laid out arguments.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
21-11-2014, 01:06 PM

Well, first off, ad homs have nothing to do with this, unless "Your faith is ridiculous for reasons a, b, and c" is being used as a way to detract from some other argument.

Second, respect is something to be earned. Showing a lack of respect for the deluded people will register as a bad thing when they give me a reason to respect them.

Third, that last part is right out of nowhere and, I daresay, bull crud.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
21-11-2014, 01:26 PM

That's the thing, you're not attacking their character, you're attacking their faith. The way I look at it, there are 2 reasons adults still believe.

1. Lack of research.
2. Misinterpreted personal experience.

Everybody really falls under lack of research, and that is why they misinterpret random personal experience events as "God"

You have to remember, they have no problem attacking atheists lack of belief in their god. They have no problem misrepresenting science and acting like they understand it.

From now on, I think it's all fair game in my opinion. It falls under "If you don't stop lying about me, I'll start telling the truth about you."

Q, I'm assuming that you have read a lot of the different points on this forum, why do you still believe?

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
[+] 1 user Likes microterf's post
21-11-2014, 01:34 PM
I was taught to show respect for others and never to withhold first, show respect second, after they have been shown "worthy" of respect. There are millions of atheists who believe differently than me and are to be shown respect. Period.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
21-11-2014, 01:42 PM
(21-11-2014 01:34 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I was taught to show respect for others and never to withhold first, show respect second, after they have been shown "worthy" of respect. There are millions of atheists who believe differently than me and are to be shown respect. Period.

Read through the tipping point thread, and listen to the podcast. Look at the news. Atheists aren't beheading people for their beliefs. Atheists aren't stopping stem cell research because of personal beliefs. If you feel the need to believe for comfort fine, but people don't have to respect your beliefs, if you're not going to respect their evidence.

I believe in love the ignorant, mock the ignorance.

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
21-11-2014, 01:55 PM
All ridiculous ideas should be subject to ridicule, all people are deserving of respect as human beings, their ideas deserve no respect if they're bad ideas. Racism, for example, a cornerstone of the belief-system of a KKK member, is an idea deserving of mockery and ridicule no matter how lofty a source they may claim to get their inspiration for it from. A person in the Klan, deserves his right to free speech, he even deserves a fair trial, and to be served a meal or rented a hotel room provided he's not threatening anyone with violence. Bad ideas deserve to be mocked, but mocking a set of ideas is not necessarily equivalent to mocking or disrespecting the person who believes in them. If they can love the sinner and hate the sin, surely we can love the believer and mock the beliefs. It's not the person that's under attack, it's their untenable beliefs. We have the right in this society to profess our beliefs - we do not have the right to be agreed with, or have our beliefs taken seriously, especially if they're essentially hogwash that can't be substantiated. If another person finds our beliefs ludicrous or even insulting or dangerous, he has the right to say so.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
21-11-2014, 01:58 PM
All,

When I see that on THIS website, respect for the believers if not for their beliefs, I'll change my tune.

21-11-2014, 02:05 PM
(21-11-2014 01:58 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

When I see that on THIS website, respect for the believers if not for their beliefs, I'll change my tune.

I don't think I've every shown you any disrespect. I would however like you to answer my earlier questions of why you believe please.

21-11-2014, 02:31 PM
Whether Dawkins is angry or not is irrelevant. If anybody says that his argument is wrong because he is angry then that just an ad hom fallacy. The question is whether or not religious beliefs deserve to be mocked. The answer is yes, they deserved to be mocked soundly and thoroughly.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post