Dawkins, Ravi on Mockery and Ridicule

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2014, 09:06 AM
RE: Dawkins, Ravi on Mockery and Ridicule
(24-11-2014 02:24 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 10:27 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Wikipedia - An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, means responding to arguments by attacking a person's character, rather than to the content of their arguments.

I constantly see you and others on here calling people #$#@%$^ and etc. Are those statements not a call to character? Be honest.

Does your obliviousness come naturally to you, or did you have to work at it?

A fallacy of argumentation must be related to argumentation. Do you understand this?

"You are wrong, Q, you @#$%" is a personal attack. If it makes you feel better to say that has nothing to do with being gentlemanly in a debate, intelligent in a debate or is not a logical fallacy, so be it.

The debaters I respect most like William Lane Craig never use either personal attacks or ad hom attacks in debates (that I have seen).

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-11-2014, 09:07 AM
(24-11-2014 06:29 PM)microterf Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 10:26 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  When did you ask me? Sorry if I missed it. I'll clarify. Why I believe what, specifically? God? Jesus? The gospel? The Bible? That atheists are wrong? What?

All of the above. You can send it in a pm if you want. I'm just curious because for most people it's because of ignorance, but I know you've seen many great reasons of why believing isn't necessary.

I can say so here. Reading the Bible as an adult, after having not done so for years, and wanting to "see what's what", I realized Jesus speaks truth. I had to follow the truth.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-11-2014, 10:18 AM
(25-11-2014 09:06 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(24-11-2014 02:24 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Does your obliviousness come naturally to you, or did you have to work at it?

A fallacy of argumentation must be related to argumentation. Do you understand this?

"You are wrong, Q, you @#$%" is a personal attack. If it makes you feel better to say that has nothing to do with being gentlemanly in a debate, intelligent in a debate or is not a logical fallacy, so be it.

The debaters I respect most like William Lane Craig never use either personal attacks or ad hom attacks in debates (that I have seen).

I will try to make this very, very simple for you, in order to penetrate the depths of your willful ignorance.

"You are wrong because you are an idiot" is a fallacy of argumentation. Idiots can make valid points, and those points must be addressed independently.

"You are wrong and you are an idiot" is not. It is an observation.

Do you see the difference?

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
25-11-2014, 11:24 AM
The Q Continuum Wrote:I can say so here. Reading the Bible as an adult, after having not done so for years, and wanting to "see what's what", I realized Jesus speaks truth. I had to follow the truth.
What part of reading the Bible as an adult made sense to you? That is exactly what has turned many of us into atheists. I've seen many specific arguments on here as to why the bible shouldn't be taken as the word of God. I haven't seen you explain of them away. Do you feel a need to believe? Is there some evidence that you're withholding from us that would make a rational person think it's the word of God?

Remember, just because you want something to be true, doesn't make it true. Yes, even if you have faith.
Find all posts by this user