Dawkins changed my girlfriend

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
28-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Dawkins changed my girlfriend
She was raised catholic and went to catholic schools here entire life. She was brainwashed by the typical christian spiel. I was on you tube a while back and asked her to come watch Richard Dawkins god delusion and she was astounded and began questioning her faith. I was over joyed by this! Now she researches the topic more on her own and I show her some gems that I stumble across that help reinforce her new found beliefs. Now She is starting to dabble in mysticism to an extent and consipracy theories. I think this new found interested is a way to add color to her toughts about out existence, if that makes sense. Allows the imagination to play a bit. But science and reason has prevailed!

Your citizen Atheist
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like sequoyah's post
28-08-2013, 09:16 AM
RE: Dawkins changed my girlfriend
That's amazing. I wish my religious friends and relatives were open enough to reading Dawkins. They see it as an "unreasoned attack". It's great there are examples like yours, it gives me hope, good for her!

Just be careful she doesn't go too far!

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
28-08-2013, 10:18 AM
(28-08-2013 09:16 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  That's amazing. I wish my religious friends and relatives were open enough to reading Dawkins. They see it as an "unreasoned attack". It's great there are examples like yours, it gives me hope, good for her!

Just be careful she doesn't go too far!

I will i am constantly exposing her to things if find in the scientific community and from my fellow free thinkers.

Your citizen Atheist
28-08-2013, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2013 01:07 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
(28-08-2013 07:12 AM)sequoyah Wrote:  ...Now She is starting to dabble in mysticism to an extent and consipracy theories. I think this new found interested is a way to add color to her toughts about out existence, if that makes sense...

Religions are like a drug. Some just need some "methadone" or a "nicotine patch" to kick it. Some give up one adiction and substitute it with another. Some people feel like they need something to believe, and don't easily give up the need to believe in something.

It takes awhile for some people to realize that reality IS something to beleive in in and of itself.

It's like when people say, "So you don't beleive in anything?"

And I'm like, "What the fuck are you talking about? What does that even mean? Of couse I believe in stuff. I believe in reality. That's a thing!"

Hopefully she's just on a religious "nicotine patch" and is in the process of decompressing. But be sure to show her that reality is interesting enough on it's own without the need to fabricate stuff to be interested in.

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
28-08-2013, 03:27 PM
(28-08-2013 07:12 AM)sequoyah Wrote:  She was raised catholic and went to catholic schools here entire life. She was brainwashed by the typical christian spiel. I was on you tube a while back and asked her to come watch Richard Dawkins god delusion and she was astounded and began questioning her faith. I was over joyed by this! Now she researches the topic more on her own and I show her some gems that I stumble across that help reinforce her new found beliefs. Now She is starting to dabble in mysticism to an extent and consipracy theories. I think this new found interested is a way to add color to her toughts about out existence, if that makes sense. Allows the imagination to play a bit. But science and reason has prevailed!
Unfortunately Catholics have become very slack where it comes to allowing their daughters to go out with atheists. The scripture teaches us not to be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. So we should be particularly careful to choose friends and potential spouses who are believers and who will uphold, support and encourage us in the practice of our faith.

Also Catholics today are very arrogant. They think that it is safe for them to read anything or watch anything. Catholics think that they are immune to deception. Unfortunately this is not the case. Christians should not watch Dawkins because his teachings are evil and deceptive. In centuries past his work would be on the list of banned books, and a generation of Christians would be protected from his deceptions.

What stunned me about your post is that you are rejoicing that she is getting involved in mysticism. But that is opposed to Dawkins as well. I think you are just anti-Catholic and are happy with whatever our gf believes as long as it is not catholicism.
28-08-2013, 04:04 PM
(28-08-2013 03:27 PM)excubitor Wrote:  
(28-08-2013 07:12 AM)sequoyah Wrote:  She was raised catholic and went to catholic schools here entire life. She was brainwashed by the typical christian spiel. I was on you tube a while back and asked her to come watch Richard Dawkins god delusion and she was astounded and began questioning her faith. I was over joyed by this! Now she researches the topic more on her own and I show her some gems that I stumble across that help reinforce her new found beliefs. Now She is starting to dabble in mysticism to an extent and consipracy theories. I think this new found interested is a way to add color to her toughts about out existence, if that makes sense. Allows the imagination to play a bit. But science and reason has prevailed!
Unfortunately Catholics have become very slack where it comes to allowing their daughters to go out with atheists. The scripture teaches us not to be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. So we should be particularly careful to choose friends and potential spouses who are believers and who will uphold, support and encourage us in the practice of our faith.

Also Catholics today are very arrogant. They think that it is safe for them to read anything or watch anything. Catholics think that they are immune to deception. Unfortunately this is not the case. Christians should not watch Dawkins because his teachings are evil and deceptive. In centuries past his work would be on the list of banned books, and a generation of Christians would be protected from his deceptions.

What stunned me about your post is that you are rejoicing that she is getting involved in mysticism. But that is opposed to Dawkins as well. I think you are just anti-Catholic and are happy with whatever our gf believes as long as it is not catholicism.

I completely agree with you; the Catholic Church has really been dropping the ball lately, they've become very slack indeed.
I mean, when was the last time they embarked on a Crusade against the Muslims or tortured atheists and people of other beliefs? When was the last time they called for a Witch Trail?

The rest of Christianity is falling behind in those areas too, the only religion which seems happy to tow their religious duty is the Muslims, and they only started up relativity recently.
Now all they do is get angry at gays, molest children and lie about condoms and AIDs.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 4 users Like Free Thought's post
28-08-2013, 05:15 PM
(28-08-2013 03:27 PM)excubitor Wrote:  

Oh my, you are so wrong. I think mysticism is a joke just like the rest of religion. As for me being anti-catholic I genuine dislike all sects of christianity.

Your citizen Atheist
28-08-2013, 05:17 PM
(28-08-2013 04:04 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(28-08-2013 03:27 PM)excubitor Wrote:  Unfortunately Catholics have become very slack where it comes to allowing their daughters to go out with atheists. The scripture teaches us not to be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. So we should be particularly careful to choose friends and potential spouses who are believers and who will uphold, support and encourage us in the practice of our faith.

I completely agree with you; the Catholic Church has really been dropping the ball lately, they've become very slack indeed.
I mean, when was the last time they embarked on a Crusade against the Muslims or tortured atheists and people of other beliefs? When was the last time they called for a Witch Trail?

The rest of Christianity is falling behind in those areas too, the only religion which seems happy to tow their religious duty is the Muslims, and they only started up relativity recently.
Now all they do is get angry at gays, molest children and lie about condoms and AIDs.

Pesky christians! Haha

Your citizen Atheist
28-08-2013, 10:09 PM
(28-08-2013 04:04 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(28-08-2013 03:27 PM)excubitor Wrote:  Unfortunately Catholics have become very slack where it comes to allowing their daughters to go out with atheists. The scripture teaches us not to be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. So we should be particularly careful to choose friends and potential spouses who are believers and who will uphold, support and encourage us in the practice of our faith.

If it weren't for the crusades we would all be facing Mecca to pray. Then you would not have the luxury to be an atheist that you do today,
Please provide a single example where an atheist was tortured. Even notorious heretic Giordano Bruno was not mad enough to be an atheist.
It is a myth that Catholics burned witches. That was done by the protestant sects.
29-08-2013, 02:39 AM
(28-08-2013 10:09 PM)excubitor Wrote:  
(28-08-2013 04:04 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I completely agree with you; the Catholic Church has really been dropping the ball lately, they've become very slack indeed.

If it weren't for the crusades we would all be facing Mecca to pray. Then you would not have the luxury to be an atheist that you do today,
Please provide a single example where an atheist was tortured. Even notorious heretic Giordano Bruno was not mad enough to be an atheist.
It is a myth that Catholics burned witches. That was done by the protestant sects.

"If it weren't for the crusades we would all be facing Mecca to pray."

"It is a myth that Catholics burned witches."

Mark Dreher thinks he's married to god.

This one's married to the catholic church.

Both of them are totally deluded.

Is it worth trying to discuss history with this one? Nope. He /she is way too far gone. I'll leave it to someone with more enthusiasm.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Mark Fulton's post