Day Three Without Commercial Electricity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2017, 06:59 AM
Day Three Without Commercial Electricity
We had some heavy winds this week and over a million customers were without electricity.

Being out in the boonies as we are - and at the end of the line on the grid - we're used to losing power.

We've got a generator of course. We've also got a battery bank and inverter so we don't have to run on generator all night.

I also have a 500 gallon tank in the barn that's insulated with underground and insulated feed lines so we've got gravity feed water (about 10 psi) - so I don't have to run the well every day.

Still - whatta pain in the ass.

I just feel sorry for the poor bastards who aren't well prepared.

It'd suck to sit around shivering in the dark while your plumbing freezes and the pipes burst around you.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
11-03-2017, 07:15 AM
RE: Day Three Without Commercial Electricity
Yeah, I'd hate to freeze like that. You burning wood for heat? How do you access the internet?
11-03-2017, 08:01 AM
(11-03-2017 06:59 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Being out in the boonies as we are - and at the end of the line on the grid - we're used to losing power.

I live in the boonies too, but only around 50km from the state's two biggest coal-fired generating plants. I can sympathise with you though—as we do have "brownouts" a couple of times a week—especially after three fucking days! What's the specific problem with the reconnection?

And would you believe that we're not allowed—by law—to connect any sort of external generator to the house supply. Thank you nanny state. Angry

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
11-03-2017, 08:02 AM
(11-03-2017 07:15 AM)Fireball Wrote:  Yeah, I'd hate to freeze like that. You burning wood for heat? How do you access the internet?

Yup we have a woodburner in house - and one in the shop/garage, plus one in the syrup shed. We've got over 50 cords of wood stored inside. (Cord = 4ft x 4ft x 8ft)..more outside.

Internet via Sprint cellphone connection on my tablet - which doubles as a hotspot for the PC..

When the world ends, we get to watch from the comfort of home...

:Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
11-03-2017, 08:16 AM
(11-03-2017 06:59 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  We had some heavy winds this week and over a million customers were without electricity.

Being out in the boonies as we are - and at the end of the line on the grid - we're used to losing power.

We've got a generator of course. We've also got a battery bank and inverter so we don't have to run on generator all night.

I also have a 500 gallon tank in the barn that's insulated with underground and insulated feed lines so we've got gravity feed water (about 10 psi) - so I don't have to run the well every day.

It'd suck to sit around shivering in the dark while your plumbing freezes and the pipes burst around you.......

About fifteen years ago we spent five days without power thanks to a wicked ice storm. We were in SC at the time. Usually an ice storm there is just a memory in a couple days as temps rise and things get back to normal. Not that time. No power, no hot water, cells phones at that time weren't an option for Internet access. The storm was nice enough to take out a really nice tree in our yard that became the firewood that kept us from freezing.

My son went to stay with a friend who still had power...for a few hours. We were sort of stuck trying to keep the parrots from either freezing or dying from fumes from the fire...good times. This was in between dragging in more of the tree and making sure the water was running up and downstairs so we didn't have frozen, broken pipes. I had a portable radio that would pick up a couple over the air TV stations...so when it got dark, at about 5 pm, we listened to shows we would never have watched.

Censored

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
11-03-2017, 10:44 AM
(11-03-2017 08:16 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 06:59 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  We had some heavy winds this week and over a million customers were without electricity.

About fifteen years ago we spent five days without power thanks to a wicked ice storm. We were in SC at the time. Usually an ice storm there is just a memory in a couple days as temps rise and things get back to normal. Not that time. No power, no hot water, cells phones at that time weren't an option for Internet access. The storm was nice enough to take out a really nice tree in our yard that became the firewood that kept us from freezing.

My son went to stay with a friend who still had power...for a few hours. We were sort of stuck trying to keep the parrots from either freezing or dying from fumes from the fire...good times. This was in between dragging in more of the tree and making sure the water was running up and downstairs so we didn't have frozen, broken pipes. I had a portable radio that would pick up a couple over the air TV stations...so when it got dark, at about 5 pm, we listened to shows we would never have watched.

Censored
It always makes me nervous when people try heating with a fireplace. Most times the fireplace is simply ornamental, and not really up to the job of heating an entire house. In addition the chimneys are frequently old, dirty, and mortar may be cracked or missing...

It's a rare and well prepared individual that keeps a fireplace and chimney in good repair to be used as primary heat....

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
11-03-2017, 10:48 AM
(11-03-2017 10:44 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 08:16 AM)Anjele Wrote:  About fifteen years ago we spent five days without power thanks to a wicked ice storm. We were in SC at the time. Usually an ice storm there is just a memory in a couple days as temps rise and things get back to normal. Not that time. No power, no hot water, cells phones at that time weren't an option for Internet access. The storm was nice enough to take out a really nice tree in our yard that became the firewood that kept us from freezing.

Censored
It always makes me nervous when people try heating with a fireplace. Most times the fireplace is simply ornamental, and not really up to the job of heating an entire house. In addition the chimneys are frequently old, dirty, and mortar may be cracked or missing...

It's a rare and well prepared individual that keeps a fireplace and chimney in good repair to be used as primary heat....

We pretty much blocked of just the living room and did use the fireplace a good bit. We knew it was functional but it was still pretty chilly in the house. After that week of fun and games we had gas logs installed in case it ever happened again...of course, it didn't. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
11-03-2017, 10:56 AM

I feel your pain. Back in 2000 we had two back to back ice storms come through the state and knocked out our power for almost three weeks. At the time we lived in an area much like you do and were at the end of the power grid so we were the last to get our power back. At the time we lived on 3 acres and we owned a 27' travel trailer. I had installed full hookups for all connections and we had a generator and plenty of propane for heat. So we lived in the travel trailer until the power came back on. I'm glad we had it and had prepared because it would have sucked otherwise. But hell... we had satellite tv, was able to cook, take hot showers, etc... I felt sorry for those that weren't so lucky.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
11-03-2017, 10:57 AM
(11-03-2017 10:48 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(11-03-2017 10:44 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  It always makes me nervous when people try heating with a fireplace. Most times the fireplace is simply ornamental, and not really up to the job of heating an entire house. In addition the chimneys are frequently old, dirty, and mortar may be cracked or missing...

We pretty much blocked of just the living room and did use the fireplace a good bit. We knew it was functional but it was still pretty chilly in the house. After that week of fun and games we had gas logs installed in case it ever happened again...of course, it didn't. Dodgy

Yup.. The more ready you are for the fecal matter to impact the rotary airfoil device, the less it's likelihood.....

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
11-03-2017, 11:13 AM
you're set, OLB.
I am not nearly as set as you, but we are not so cold here either. In a long outage, We'd retreat to the 5th wheel. I can run our group B (4 houses) well with a 7K genset with 220. It has the 500 gallon tank but no gravity to anywhere. I run the well pump to lift it to that tank through treatment, and then switch over to the pressure pump and charge up the three pressure tanks.
Nobody would have hot water besides my trailer, so showering is not an issue. The three tanks will flush toilets and the like for a whole day for all the houses. I've only had to do it once.