Dazzling With Science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-09-2014, 11:47 PM
Dazzling With Science
This little exchange took place on another forum

THEIST: How about everything is created for a purpose? You find fault in that reasoning?

ME: At the most basic level the entire universe is a collection of strings which interact with each other through four forces. There is no evidence of any ultimate purpose.

THEIST: Which act randomly right?

ME: According to quantum theory.

THEIST: I don't believe that is an accurate statement. Would you please cite your support for this statement?

Facepalm

I've reached my conclusions through sound scientific logic. I think it's safe to assume he does not have the background to understand a concise explanation. If I gave him a precise explanation I foresee a charge of "Dazzling with science" or "Argument from authority". So do I present an argument in layman's terms or simply opt out of the conversation?

I don't have time to teach this guy quantum physics. And I doubt he would learn.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2014, 07:33 PM
RE: Dazzling With Science
The theist in this exchange has conceded my point. I've never had that happen before.

Sapere aude
[+] 2 users Like f stop's post
08-09-2014, 08:33 AM
RE: Dazzling With Science
Wow. I figured he was just running a weird Argument from Adverse Consequences, and was going to start harping about how terrible your world view would be if it were true. That's typically what I run into.

"You feel everything is random."

"You make up your own morals. That's scary."