Dead Man's Debts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2016, 07:30 PM
Dead Man's Debts
I just came across this. Thoughts?

Being murdered is no reason to forgive student loan, New Jersey agency says

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2016, 07:51 PM
RE: Dead Man's Debts
(06-07-2016 07:30 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I just came across this. Thoughts?

Sounds like it's run by the sopranos.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-07-2016, 07:55 PM
(06-07-2016 07:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 07:30 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I just came across this. Thoughts?

Sounds like it's run by the sopranos.

The altos. They're usually far sneakier.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-07-2016, 09:02 PM
(06-07-2016 07:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(06-07-2016 07:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Sounds like it's run by the sopranos.

The altos. They're usually far sneakier.

Yeah, those altos are lower that the sopranos. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Chas's post
06-07-2016, 09:20 PM
The sad fact is that if you co-sign a loan, that provides a surety to the lender that that loan will be paid for. Seems heartless, but the sad truth is that this person co-signed for a loan and is now responsible for paying the debt off. In the background of this is the fact that the loans are connected to investors. This seems a little (well, more than a little, to me) rapacious on the part of the investors and middle persons.

I was fortunate that I had a trade before I joined the US Navy (mechanic) and got paid money by the VA when I went to university. Between the GI Bill and my job, I graduated from the university with zero debt. I had options (live at my parent's, student loans) that would have allowed me to graduate sooner, if I hadn't had to work so much. But I'm one stubborn and independent cuss and refused those offers. It took me 6.5 years to get a 4-year degree. Without the GI Bill, it would likely have been another year before graduation, when I calculate how much more I would have had to work to make up the difference in income. In the end analysis, 2.5 years extra time to get a 4 year degree seems pretty cheap, compared to what I have seen new hires at my company owed, in terms of student loans.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
06-07-2016, 10:30 PM
This student should be taken to court!

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
06-07-2016, 10:33 PM
Were services rendered? If yes then the bill must be paid.

What if the same person took out a loan from a car dealer to buy a car and the buyer dies. Does the car dealership not have a right to be paid or repossess the car?

In this case what was purchased is intangible but no less valuable.

Shit happens, people die all the time, bills, loans, mortgages still have to be paid...thems the rules.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
07-07-2016, 06:03 AM
So what I wonder, after reading that thing. I understand it is a business etc but do they think that people will just cause them huge losses because they will all die in some way when the debt gets too big? Not forgiving loans when the person dies is just ridiculous. dafuq...

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
07-07-2016, 06:12 AM
True story ---

Many years ago - my best friend's dad died..... My friend began getting nasty, threatening letters from a local hospital for medical bills his dad had left unpaid.....

They would not stop -- till I shaved, cleaned up -- put on a (borrowed) Brookes Brother's suit -- and made an appearance at the hospital in question's collection department. (surprised it was actually in the same building...)

I did my best "outraged lawyer" impersonation (without actually SAYING I was a lawyer) --- and told them that I was representing (my friend) --- and I felt it necessary to make this in-person visit -- because of the severity of the situation. I told them that correspondence wasn't quick enough - and these unwarranted, and illegal attempts to collect money from a grieving son - if they did not stop IMMEDIATELY -- would be more than sufficient grounds for a harassment lawsuit. I then produced a letter I'd written - that basically said (in my best attempt at legaleese) that they would stop all collections, and never again try to collect from my buddy.....

Amazingly -- the collections officer signed it, and apologized....

And he never got another bill.......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 5 users Like onlinebiker's post
07-07-2016, 07:09 AM
When my husband died, I went down to the bank and told them about it. They did not take his name off my account - apparently a lot of widows like to keep a man's name on the account so not to advertise they were widows.

A couple years later I found the account raided - a little change was left in it. Turned out the California tax office took the money, no warning, no questions, just took it.

I called them up and they said that hubby owed like 10 years of taxes. Since we hadn't lived in CA for longer than that, I wanted to know why. She said that we still owned a house in CA and hence they computed income tax for those years and helped themselves to my money.

Of course we had sold the house before moving out of state, so something was wrong. Turned out the bank that held the loan on that house had gone bankrupt and somehow when a new bank took over all their loans, we stayed on the deed for that house. However, the sale was recorded properly everywhere else. The tax people only ever looked at those bank records, not at deeds of sale etc. The house was clearly registered to belong to someone else.

I pointed that out and sent them 2 screenshots of places in the web where the sale and new owner were mentioned.

It took them 3 months to issue a check and mail it to me.

Pissed me off. What if that had been the only money a widow had? Why couldn't they deposit it back the way they took it? Why wasn't I ever contacted?

Really pissed me off!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post