Dead Sea Scrolls

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2014, 01:41 PM
Dead Sea Scrolls
I can't find many unbiased sources on the findings of the Dead Sea Scrolls. I just want to know which books were found alongside the so called "perfectly accurate Old Testament books" and how they might add to or contradict current views on the Bible as a whole. I have heard of "The Book of Enoch" but I don't know if there is only one version of it. To me it seems like the Catholics actually have a better understanding of the full canon than the Protestants do. I just need more information on the scrolls besides twelve pastors saying "THE DEAD SEA SCROLLS DO NOT CONTRADICT GOD'S WORD IN ANY WAY PRAISE THE LORD AND MOVE ALONG PLEASE THANKS" So, can anyone give me some good links or explain with some sources, please?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2014, 01:50 PM
RE: Dead Sea Scrolls
I think this article about the Dead Sea Scrolls from the Gnostic Society Library is very informative.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
05-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Dead Sea Scrolls
I thought the Dead Sea scrolls has something to do with the buh-bull. I only read the buh-bull once and that crap was a waste

Using Tapatalk
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2014, 05:18 AM
(04-09-2014 01:41 PM)Cyvas Wrote:  I can't find many unbiased sources on the findings of the Dead Sea Scrolls. I just want to know which books were found alongside the so called "perfectly accurate Old Testament books" and how they might add to or contradict current views on the Bible as a whole. I have heard of "The Book of Enoch" but I don't know if there is only one version of it. To me it seems like the Catholics actually have a better understanding of the full canon than the Protestants do. I just need more information on the scrolls besides twelve pastors saying "THE DEAD SEA SCROLLS DO NOT CONTRADICT GOD'S WORD IN ANY WAY PRAISE THE LORD AND MOVE ALONG PLEASE THANKS" So, can anyone give me some good links or explain with some sources, please?

The claim essentially lacks an understanding of both what was found and what they are actually claiming.

What the claim appears to be saying is that IF scrolls were found which had perfectly unaltered copies of texts that had been around for a couple thousand or more years, then somehow that would lend credence or believability to both the religion and the divine origin of the texts.

In fact there were thousands of alterations in some texts, AND in fact the latest Qumran community had been constructed in 134-104 or so BCE. We now know, for example, that Genesis - Numbers were assembled during and immediately after the Exile from various sources. Which means there could have been as little as 100-200 years between the construction of the original texts and the ones found at Qumran. The "thousands of years of unaltered" bla bla bla, is nonsense. It's vastly exaggerated.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
06-10-2014, 06:38 AM
(06-10-2014 05:18 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Which means there could have been as little as 100-200 years between the construction of the original texts and the ones found at Qumran. The "thousands of years of unaltered" bla bla bla, is nonsense. It's vastly exaggerated.

The claim as I have heard it is comparing the content of the scrolls to the text as it stands today so the "thousands of years" is roughly 2000 years from then to now. Of course, they also usually think that the scrolls are more than fragmentary for much of the text, contain the new testament stories, and don't contain much that is now non-canonical or even heretical. Some even appear to think they are written in English that matches the KJV version word for word but it can be hard to pin down just what they think as they are just repeating a claim they've heard that they like with little or no understanding of that claim.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
07-10-2014, 05:21 PM
It is my understanding that most of the texts in the dead sea scrolls where prophetic pieces contemporary to the times in which they were written. The dead seas scrolls belonged to a religious zealots opposed to the Roman empire some time around the second rebellion of Jerusalem in the late first century. Many of the texts talked of a warrior messiah who would once again make Israel a great military nation. Mixed in there were bits and pieces that would become the modern day Torah and the old testament.
08-10-2014, 03:56 PM
So, we're talking about historically authentic writings about orally related stories and legendary myths, right?

Interesting. Must be like authenticating the first copies of the Beowulf. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
08-10-2014, 07:28 PM
Israeli Archaeologists, Yitzhak Magen and Yuval Peleg did extensive excavations at the site. Their conclusion? It was a pottery factory not some commune of jewish monks.

A .pdf of their work is included here.

http://virtualqumran.blogspot.com/2007/1...inary.html

From the summary:

Quote: In any case,
the main activity at the site was the production of pottery, a fact that we find is hardly consistent with the identification of Qumran as a communal center
for the Judean Desert sect.

We are fully aware that it may not be easy for readers to accept our conclusions. Certainly it has not been easy for us to express them aloud, let alone put them
in writing. But after ten years of excavations, these conclusions are inescapable

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!