Dead Sea Scrolls and Bible Profecies?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2016, 04:42 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2016 04:49 PM by Velvet.)
Dead Sea Scrolls and Bible Profecies?
Hey guys, I got today into a Whatsapp group of theologists, and I was sharing some ideas about how atheists actually think, why skepticism would be a good idea and etc, how scientific method was actually done, and etc.

I've been very polite to them, and they made the same in return, they seem very interested in the possibility of exploring atheist arguments without the aggressiveness that usually comes along, while I was interested on their view and answers to those arguments and thoughts of course.

The debate quickly escalated until we were sending 8 and 9 minutes audio files about the problem of evil.

Then one of them said that, I would necessarily have to make a leap of faith, and skepticism could only take me so far in searching for the truth whatever it may be.

I then explained that the same mechanism of leap of faith could be used to accept any other religion, so it couldn't help me as a method to get close to the truth.

Then one of them said that Christianity was NOT in the same place as other faith claim religions (what a surprise), and said (he sounded really sincere) that the bible could very easily be taken as truth only by rationality (?!?!), because the prophecies were just way too incredible to ignore.

I've read the bible some years back then but I don't remember noticing any amazing prophecy, but some of you guys were Christians for many years and some were devout ones...

There's any particular prophecy that demands serious consideration in the bible?

--------------------------------------------------

He also claimed that the dead sea scrolls predicted Jesus story as they were BC and had some Jesus story spoilers there already.

I will tomorrow research more into it, but for now can anyone that knows this already confirm or debunk this?

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2016, 04:54 PM
RE: Dead Sea Scrolls and Bible Profecies?
The role of a prophet was not to predict the future. There are at least as many that did not happen, as ones they can interpret as happening. Omens were forbidden.
It's essentially omen reading.
Deuteronomy 18:10 "Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, ...."

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid257278
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Biblical_pr...prophecies

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
08-11-2016, 05:04 PM
That's a very good explanation Bucky, thank you...

Tomorrow I will have to think how to deliver this info in a way that permeates, now I'm too sleepy for that =D

But thanks mate ^^

08-11-2016, 05:05 PM
If you opened an atheist church -- would it have non-prophet or non-profit status????

makes ya think, don't it??

Or not....

Smile

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
08-11-2016, 05:10 PM
There are many prophecies in The Bible that never came true. Skeptics Annotated Bible (available online) has a listing for each section of The Bible. With a book the size of The Bible, it's not surprising that a few things could come true just by luck of the draw. Additionally, many "prophecies" were often written in after the fact. This same group of biblical people also believed in casting lots, which is essentially the magical 8 ball of the biblical age.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
08-11-2016, 06:05 PM
(08-11-2016 05:10 PM)jennybee Wrote:  There are many prophecies in The Bible that never came true. Skeptics Annotated Bible (available online) has a listing for each section of The Bible. With a book the size of The Bible, it's not surprising that a few things could come true just by luck of the draw. Additionally, many "prophecies" were often written in after the fact. This same group of biblical people also believed in casting lots, which is essentially the magical 8 ball of the biblical age.

You forgot to mention that the Hebrew (Levite) priests quite literally had augury stones in their ceremonial breastplates, used for asking God to answer yes/no questions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urim_and_Thummim

Exodus 28:30 (NIV)

Also put the Urim and the Thummim in the breastpiece, so they may be over Aaron’s heart whenever he enters the presence of the Lord. Thus Aaron will always bear the means of making decisions for the Israelites over his heart before the Lord.

1 Samuel 14:41 (NIV)

Then Saul prayed to the Lord, the God of Israel, “Why have you not answered your servant today? If the fault is in me or my son Jonathan, respond with Urim, but if the men of Israel are at fault, respond with Thummim.” Jonathan and Saul were taken by lot, and the men were cleared.

"Taken by lot". Lovely stories in that book.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 3 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
08-11-2016, 06:21 PM
(08-11-2016 06:05 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(08-11-2016 05:10 PM)jennybee Wrote:  There are many prophecies in The Bible that never came true. Skeptics Annotated Bible (available online) has a listing for each section of The Bible. With a book the size of The Bible, it's not surprising that a few things could come true just by luck of the draw. Additionally, many "prophecies" were often written in after the fact. This same group of biblical people also believed in casting lots, which is essentially the magical 8 ball of the biblical age.

You forgot to mention that the Hebrew (Levite) priests quite literally had augury stones in their ceremonial breastplates, used for asking God to answer yes/no questions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urim_and_Thummim

Exodus 28:30 (NIV)

Also put the Urim and the Thummim in the breastpiece, so they may be over Aaron’s heart whenever he enters the presence of the Lord. Thus Aaron will always bear the means of making decisions for the Israelites over his heart before the Lord.

1 Samuel 14:41 (NIV)

Then Saul prayed to the Lord, the God of Israel, “Why have you not answered your servant today? If the fault is in me or my son Jonathan, respond with Urim, but if the men of Israel are at fault, respond with Thummim.” Jonathan and Saul were taken by lot, and the men were cleared.

"Taken by lot". Lovely stories in that book.

Good point Thumbsup

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
08-11-2016, 06:48 PM

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
08-11-2016, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2016 09:11 PM by Velvet.)
The debate seriously heated when I started to talk about god/jesus/sin scheme.

I said that, first of all, I can't be blamed for what Adam and Eve made, even if we were disregard the fact that Yahweh already knew they would do this and made the world anyways in that way so that would be the case.

Then, he comes (before I'm even born) and offers to forgive me from what I haven't done.

And then, without my consent or I asking for that, he forgives me, BUT with that comes a COST, and that cost is that I MUST be grateful, again, for forgiveness that I haven't asked for a sin that I haven't committed, that he already knew and engineered the circumstances to happen.

And IF I dare not be grateful, then I will be punished (which defeats the whole point of forgiveness, it isn't suppose to have any cost, otherwise its not really forgiveness its just a bargain)

And the punishment, for not being grateful, for he giving me something that I haven't asked, which was the forgiveness for something that I haven't done, is eternal punishment in a lake of fire.

And the debate was over and they started quoting the bible.

[+] 3 users Like Velvet's post
08-11-2016, 11:00 PM
@Velvet

Debate was over before it even started as they weren't going to change their mind. I've never seen theist who wouldn't eventualy run crying from bad atheist and started spewing shit about god's love, plan and/or quoting bible.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post