Dead Sea Scrolls and Bible Profecies?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2016, 04:53 AM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2016 05:52 AM by Velvet.)
RE: Dead Sea Scrolls and Bible Profecies?
Anyways, aside from the fact that many of the claimed prophecies by fulfilled by jesus were actually made actively, with the intent to fulfill the prophecy (which defeats the point imo), and the facts that many other prophecies just literally went the opposite of what the prophecy predicted (case of egypt becoming a desolate wasteland).

There is ANY AT ALL prophecy that was fulfilled on a honest way, I mean, by circumstances instead of an deliberate action intending to fulfill the prophecy, which would make me raise an eyebrow?

Or, there any many maybe?

I would like to come up with a sounding argument against "we can see that the bible is the word of god because of the many prophecies fulfilled".

As it seems, any amount of prophecies would be enough for them, and no amount of not-fulfilled prophecies would make a case against the Bible for them, so even if I can clearly see that what the bible provides in terms of phophecy couldn't be considered enough evidence for it being the perfect world of an almighty deity that created the universe, who is omnibenevolent but suports slavery and has some very un-omnibenevolentish choices of how to deal with his creation (eternal torment in a lake of fire comes to mind), I still have no way to show any of that to them in a way they could understand.

Not saying that if I come up with some way they can understand that means that they wouldn't deny it, but I would like to at least have a solid point against it, something that, if ignored could be sincerely considered him being dishonest to himself about his beliefs.

I do that with many of my arguments, but I'm horrible at history of judaic mithology.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2016, 06:44 AM
(09-11-2016 04:53 AM)Velvet Wrote:  Anyways, aside from the fact that many of the claimed prophecies by fulfilled by jesus were actually made actively, with the intent to fulfill the prophecy (which defeats the point imo), and the facts that many other prophecies just literally went the opposite of what the prophecy predicted (case of egypt becoming a desolate wasteland).

There is ANY AT ALL prophecy that was fulfilled on a honest way, I mean, by circumstances instead of an deliberate action intending to fulfill the prophecy, which would make me raise an eyebrow?

Or, there any many maybe?

I would like to come up with a sounding argument against "we can see that the bible is the word of god because of the many prophecies fulfilled".

As it seems, any amount of prophecies would be enough for them, and no amount of not-fulfilled prophecies would make a case against the Bible for them, so even if I can clearly see that what the bible provides in terms of phophecy couldn't be considered enough evidence for it being the perfect world of an almighty deity that created the universe, who is omnibenevolent but suports slavery and has some very un-omnibenevolentish choices of how to deal with his creation (eternal torment in a lake of fire comes to mind), I still have no way to show any of that to them in a way they could understand.

Not saying that if I come up with some way they can understand that means that they wouldn't deny it, but I would like to at least have a solid point against it, something that, if ignored could be sincerely considered him being dishonest to himself about his beliefs.

I do that with many of my arguments, but I'm horrible at history of judaic mithology.

A look at Isaiah 53 reveals a lot of what most of these prophecies are about.

It's Christians doing their favorite fallacy, the post-hoc rationalization. In the case of Isaiah 53, the writers of the New Testament wrote their stories to fit certain Old Testament scriptures. It's easy to fit an interpretation onto cherry-picked scriptures and then claim that that's what that scripture REALLY meant.

There's actually an entire methodology in Christianity that forces dual meaning onto Old testament scripture- typlogy.

A theist that used to plague this forum; The Q Continuum, just loved this stupidity, in a discussion about the mythology of Moses, he thought that that the 1st plague, turning the Nile to blood and then back to water again was a "type and shadow" of Jesus' blood atonement purifying our sins. Facepalm

Q showed me just how deep delusion goes, he literally went to college to learn how to apply post-hoc fallacies in methodological fashion while convincing himself that he was intellectually superior because of this.

It was quite horrifying how religion could so deeply damage one's intellect.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-11-2016, 08:17 AM
Yeah, interesting (maybe a miracle!) that they are doing just that @TheInquisition .

I asked for a single prophecy that wasn't ambiguous and was definitely fulfilled.

They gave me the annihilation of Egipt, which is exactly the best example of a prophecy that is clearly NOT fulfilled on any sense.

Then they started playing the Hebrew card, and twisted the words into a way that "inhabited for 40 years" became "slightly less populated for 40 years"

And "not lay a foot of human or animal" into "people will not peregrinate so much there''

I gave up.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien