Dead and Buried.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2013, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 10:58 PM by Mr Woof.)
Dead and Buried.
The actual dying process is something of a taboo area.
An acqaintance of mine works in a hospital mortuary and speaks of grunts, gurgles,and the occasional convulsing cadaver.
I believe that post mortem the finger nails continue to grow for a long time, as the whole corpse slowly shuts down.
Perhaps Dr Fulton could provide more salient information.

I recently cancelled the donation of my body (think it was something Girlie said) and have returned to my former organs donation position, followed by cremation. As an aside, I read some long time back, of "donor parts" displaying their owners traits within the psyche of the recipient. In one case a young gangster was given the organ of a studious young musician, and knowing nothing of the donor, his personality changed quite remarkably. It was a serious medical paper.

AS for post death........who knows?
Most atheists opt for extinction, while believers look to eternal bliss (or torture).
Others go for many transmigrating souls via reincarnation.
Why not, say 20 years, more credit, akin somewhat to purgatory.
WE'll just have to wait now wont we.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2013, 03:27 PM
RE: Dead and Buried.
Why did you cancel the donation of your body?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-02-2013, 03:38 PM
(08-02-2013 03:27 PM)Dom Wrote:  Why did you cancel the donation of your body?
Few things......felt a bit creepy.
If I died 6okms from Melbourne Uni, no deal.
Can't remember what Girlie said Consider
Tongue
08-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Donating parts seems creepier to me - they keep you alive until harvest...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Crash test dummies were not allways high tech pieces of equipment.

They used bodies donated to science for a while. A lot was learned in that time.

My dad gave his organs, doms right they do keep you on a life support machine. I like the thought of doing the same but ill be dead... so they can what they want with me.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
08-02-2013, 03:54 PM
(08-02-2013 03:00 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  The actual dying process is something of a taboo area.
An acqaintance of mine works in a hospital mortuary and speaks of grunts, gurgles,and the occasional convulsing cadaver.
I believe that post mortem the finger nails continue to grow for a long time, as the whole corpse slowly shuts down.
Perhaps Dr Fuller could provide more salient information.

I recently cancelled the donation of my body (think it was something Girlie said) and have returned to my former organs donation position, followed by cremation. As an aside, I read some long time back, of "donor parts" displaying their owners traits within the psyche of the recipient. In one case a young gangster was given the organ of a studious young musician, and knowing nothing of the donor, his personality changed quite remarkably. It was a serious medical paper.

Most atheists opt for extinction, while believers look to eternal bliss (or torture).
I believe the nails growing is an old wive's tale; the flesh shrinks giving the appearance of nail growth.

I'd like to see a reference to the "serious medical paper" as I am spectacularly skeptical. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-02-2013, 10:30 PM
(08-02-2013 03:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 03:00 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  The actual dying process is something of a taboo area.
Perhaps Dr Fuller could provide more salient information.

I believe the nails growing is an old wive's tale; the flesh shrinks giving the appearance of nail growth.

I'd like to see a reference to the "serious medical paper" as I am spectacularly skeptical. Dodgy
That's an understatement. Tongue

But I too would like to see such a reference. I think I understand what OP is saying about nails growing, but I'm not gonna muddle things up. Just fork over the references. Wink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2013, 09:37 AM
Hair and fingernails might continue to grow for an hour after death (not noticeable), just as there might be bile and urine production: all cells don't die at the same instant and organs shut down as they run out of buffered instruction and nourishment. Also, the time of death may be more or less accurately noted, depending on what instruments are available to measure heart and brain activity.

Organs carrying personality and affecting recipients - i really don't think so!(Unless a brain was transplanted... or a vengeful pianist's hand...) But the experience of being gravely ill and then having one's life restored through the generosity of a stranger and the care of dedicated medical staff might affect a patient's outlook; might impel them to change their ways.

My organs are no longer eligible for a new body, and wouldn't make an interesting enough exhibit in the science museum, so i'll have them incinerated. Because legally, i can't have my first choice of disposal: to be buried, uncrated, in the back-yard with my dogs and cats. (Be a nasty shock for whoever wants to build there in future. Heh!)

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 2 users Like Peterkin's post
09-02-2013, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 05:34 PM by Nappa.)
(08-02-2013 03:54 PM)bemore Wrote:  Crash test dummies were not allways high tech pieces of equipment.

They used bodies donated to science for a while. A lot was learned in that time.

My dad gave his organs, doms right they do keep you on a life support machine. I like the thought of doing the same but ill be dead... so they can what they want with me.
I think they should go back to using real bodies for crash tests, for science.

I made sure to be an organ donor, I will not be using them after I die. And if they can get my dead body to an operating table fast enough where they can harvest my organs then hey, all the more power to them.

I've considered donating my body to science, but I don't want to end up on a display case. Unless it was just my bones up there. I don't mind if they chop up my muscles or do experiments with my flesh. But to put my body up on display for some jerks I don't even know to look at, fuck that. It's a waste of resources in my opinion.

Another thing I've always wondered is why are coffins so fancy? They didn't always used to be fancy, and it's a rather expensive thing to die. Around 1,000$ for a casket, I'd tell my family to keep the 1,000$ and just chuck my body off a cliff somewhere. Or dig a hole if they really felt it was necessary, but don't pay someone else another 1,000$ to dig the hole!
[+] 1 user Likes Nappa's post
09-02-2013, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2013 06:06 PM by Zat.)
As many in my age group, I think about my mortality.

Most of the people I have ever known are already dead.

Today, I was thinking about my kidneys-- it is almost impossible to believe that my mind depends on them, as well as other chunks of meat inside my body.

I read a really cool sci-fi story once. A mining town was destroyed by an explosion in the night, yet the next morning people woke up as usual, went to work as usual and lived their lives as usual. They noticed one change: commercials and billboards and all forms of advertising became so ubiquitous that there was no escape from it. At the end of the story they discover that they are nothing but replicas of themselves. A big PR company had bought all the DNA of the dead people, cloned them in miniature form, put them into a miniature replica of their town on a laboratory bench to use as a testing ground for advertising techniques. Imagine their shock when they made it to the edge of the table and looked down!

Who knows?