Dead and Buried.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2013, 07:17 PM
RE: Dead and Buried.
(09-02-2013 05:23 PM)Nappa Wrote:  Another thing I've always wondered is why are coffins so fancy? They didn't always used to be fancy, and it's a rather expensive thing to die. Around 1,000$ for a casket, I'd tell my family to keep the 1,000$ and just chuck my body off a cliff somewhere. Or dig a hole if they really felt it was necessary, but don't pay someone else another 1,000$ to dig the hole!
I've always wondered the same thing. What a waste of money.
I find just the thought of being put in a box and buried under ground to be disgusting.
My card says organ donor and I so hope they can be of use.
After that burn me up. Then it's up to my son if he want's to spread all my ashes on the trail or not.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2013, 04:37 AM
I figure it's the same as other cultures that sacrifice animals and have a big party to send off their loved ones when they die. It's just that we do it by spending a fortune on a coffin and a fancy tombstone, tons of flowers, catering sometimes, urns if you're cremated, even the fucking little funeral cards and shit are expensive. Buying a plot is expensive. Hiring them to dig the hole and put the person underground is expensive.

But people keep doing it, because they feel like the amount they spend on a funeral shows how much they loved the person, or even how much they can afford to spend on it, or whatever. My mom felt bad that she got a little tombstone for my dad, she's often talked about getting a new one. Why? My dad is dead,he doesn't give a fuck about how big the rock over top of his ashes is. It's a social status thing, she thinks people will see the very basic, no-frills tombstone and think less of her and her family, which is bullshit.

As for me, I don't even want that. I'd rather be chucked off a cliff. Well, I wouldn't mind if they harvested my organs (=doing something useful with my parts, rather than putting them in a fancy box) or if I was donated to science (but both are probably out of the question, no one wants my body parts. the necrophiliacs probably don't even want my body). The idea of a funeral being held in my honor with all this expensive crap seems obscene to me. So anyway, I think my best bet would be to have a will and say I want cremated and nothing else. Thank dog I'm a misanthrope and no one will want to have a funeral for me. I'll be one of those people whose body they find in the flat three years after I died.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2013, 07:20 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2013 08:45 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(09-02-2013 05:23 PM)Nappa Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 03:54 PM)bemore Wrote:  Crash test dummies were not allways high tech pieces of equipment.

They used bodies donated to science for a while. A lot was learned in that time.

My dad gave his organs, doms right they do keep you on a life support machine. I like the thought of doing the same but ill be dead... so they can what they want with me.
I think they should go back to using real bodies for crash tests, for science.

I made sure to be an organ donor, I will not be using them after I die. And if they can get my dead body to an operating table fast enough where they can harvest my organs then hey, all the more power to them.

I've considered donating my body to science, but I don't want to end up on a display case. Unless it was just my bones up there. I don't mind if they chop up my muscles or do experiments with my flesh. But to put my body up on display for some jerks I don't even know to look at, fuck that. It's a waste of resources in my opinion.

Another thing I've always wondered is why are coffins so fancy? They didn't always used to be fancy, and it's a rather expensive thing to die. Around 1,000$ for a casket, I'd tell my family to keep the 1,000$ and just chuck my body off a cliff somewhere. Or dig a hole if they really felt it was necessary, but don't pay someone else another 1,000$ to dig the hole!

That's a VERY cheap casket, I doubt there is one that cheap. (Obviously, it's for the "comfort" of the survivors). More like $5,000, + embalming, and transfer, etc etc. Many localities, you can't put a casket in the ground. It has to go into a cement vault, in the ground. There's a fee for everything, body prep, makeup, dressing, (if there is a wake), digging the hole, cost of the hearse, putting the casket in the ground, (plus a few thousand for the cemetery plot), and the marker, if there is one, is hundreds to thousands. Most burials in caskets from mortuaries with "reviewals", in cemeteries with markers are $7,500 -> $10,000 -> $15,000, not including the plot, depending where the cemetary is. It's quite the racket. There are ways around it. You can pre-plan your cremation, (The Cremation Society), and if you have a relative buried somewhere, you can ask to have the urn placed in their plot, which much cheaper, and just add your name to the marker already in place, if at all. It frustrates the hell out of them when they realize you know about the game, and won't play it. You can keep it down to about $2000 - $3,000 for the cremation if you plan ahead, and scatter the ashes somewhere.
http://funeral-tips.com/how-much-does-th...eral-cost/

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
10-02-2013, 08:58 AM
The Neptune Society - for a couple hundred bucks (not sure of the current price but it's VERY cheap in comparison to alternatives) they pick up your body anyplace in the world, cremate it and put the ashes in a box.
You can buy this at any time and save your loved ones a TON of money, all kinds of painful decisions and worry, no matter if you think you'll die tomorrow or 50 years from now.
My husband had this in place (so do I) and when he died the police came by (mandatory if someone dies at home) and called the neptune society for me (number is on a card you want to keep) and they picked him up within the hour and dealt with all the paperwork, and he was cremated and returned to me along with the death certificates.
You can't beat the price, the service, and the enormous load it takes off the survivor's shoulders. It's bad enough to have your life partner die, you don't want to have to deal with all the phony funeral directors and paperwork and arrangements and costs right at the worst time of your life.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-02-2013, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2013 11:59 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(10-02-2013 08:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  The Neptune Society - for a couple hundred bucks (not sure of the current price but it's VERY cheap in comparison to alternatives) they pick up your body anyplace in the world, cremate it and put the ashes in a box.
You can buy this at any time and save your loved ones a TON of money, all kinds of painful decisions and worry, no matter if you think you'll die tomorrow or 50 years from now.
My husband had this in place (so do I) and when he died the police came by (mandatory if someone dies at home) and called the neptune society for me (number is on a card you want to keep) and they picked him up within the hour and dealt with all the paperwork, and he was cremated and returned to me along with the death certificates.
You can't beat the price, the service, and the enormous load it takes off the survivor's shoulders. It's bad enough to have your life partner die, you don't want to have to deal with all the phony funeral directors and paperwork and arrangements and costs right at the worst time of your life.
Cool, that's even better than the Cremation Society. We're all star dust eventually anyway. Why not just get it going a few years early.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
10-02-2013, 02:38 PM
(08-02-2013 03:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 03:00 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  The actual dying process is something of a taboo area.
An acqaintance of mine works in a hospital mortuary and speaks of grunts, gurgles,and the occasional convulsing cadaver.
I believe that post mortem the finger nails continue to grow for a long time, as the whole corpse slowly shuts down.
Perhaps Dr Fuller could provide more salient information.

I recently cancelled the donation of my body (think it was something Girlie said) and have returned to my former organs donation position, followed by cremation. As an aside, I read some long time back, of "donor parts" displaying their owners traits within the psyche of the recipient. In one case a young gangster was given the organ of a studious young musician, and knowing nothing of the donor, his personality changed quite remarkably. It was a serious medical paper.

AS for post death........who knows?
Most atheists opt for extinction, while believers look to eternal bliss (or torture).
Others go for many transmigrating souls via reincarnation.
Why not, say 20 years, more credit, akin somewhat to purgatory.
WE'll just have to wait now wont we.
I believe the nails growing is an old wive's tale; the flesh shrinks giving the appearance of nail growth.

I'd like to see a reference to the "serious medical paper" as I am spectacularly skeptical. Dodgy
It was about a decade ago.

The authenticity seemed sound.

I cannot guarantee it was not a forgery.

I am not in the habit of making up stories!
10-02-2013, 02:44 PM
(10-02-2013 11:14 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(10-02-2013 08:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  The Neptune Society - for a couple hundred bucks (not sure of the current price but it's VERY cheap in comparison to alternatives) they pick up your body anyplace in the world, cremate it and put the ashes in a box.
Cool, that's even better than the Cremation Society. We're all star dust eventually anyway. Why not just get it going a few years early.
Also, you have those funeral companie's advertisements deigned to make the surviving parties feel guilty if they don't pay through nose, and allegedly show respect.................bit late then! Confused
10-02-2013, 03:13 PM
(10-02-2013 02:38 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(08-02-2013 03:54 PM)Chas Wrote:  I believe the nails growing is an old wive's tale; the flesh shrinks giving the appearance of nail growth.

I'd like to see a reference to the "serious medical paper" as I am spectacularly skeptical. Dodgy
It was about a decade ago.

The authenticity seemed sound.

I cannot guarantee it was not a forgery.

I am not in the habit of making up stories!

Wasn't accusing you of anything, just curious. I know that I sometimes mis-remember things.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user