Deadly Texting

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Deadly Texting
Man shot for texting during a movie..............Shocking

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/01/14/ma...=webmail24

WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. (AP) - A 71-year-old retired police officer accused of shooting a man dead in a Florida movie theater told authorities that "he was in fear of being attacked" during Monday's confrontation.

Curtis Reeves is charged with second-degree murder in the death of 43-year-old Chad Oulson. A judge ordered Reeves held without bond during a court hearing Tuesday afternoon.

Pasco County Sheriff's officials say Reeves initially asked Oulson to stop texting at the theater in Wesley Chapel, a suburb about a half-hour north of downtown Tampa.

Sheriff's Detective Allen Proctor wrote that Reeves spoke to Oulson during the movie previews, then got up from his seat and informed management.

When Reeves returned to his seat "additional words were exchanged" and Oulson threw a bag of popcorn at Reeves, the report said.

After officers read him his rights, Reeves told the detective that Oulson struck him in the face with an unknown object, and that's when he removed a .380 caliber gun from his pants pocket. The report said Reeves fired the gun and struck Oulson once in the chest and that he "was in fear of being attacked."

Oulson's wife, who was also in the theater, had put her hand on her husband's chest prior to the shooting in an attempt to shield him. Officials say she was also struck by the bullet.

There were about 25 people in the theater at the time of the shooting, witnesses and authorities said. The movie playing was "Lone Survivor," about Navy SEALS in Afghanistan.

"I can't believe people would bring a pistol, a gun, to a movie," said Charles Cummings, who was sitting near Oulson and Reeves. "I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn. Over a cellphone."

Cummings, who said he was a combat Marine in Vietnam, said Oulson fell onto him and his son. When they spoke to reporters on Monday, both had blood on their clothes.

"Blood started coming out of his mouth," said Alex Cummings. "It was just a very bad scene."

Charles Cummings said his son went to call 911, while Cummings and another patron who was a nurse began performing CPR on the victim.

The man sitting next to the suspect happened to be an off-duty deputy from another county, and he grabbed the gun out of Reeves' hand, and the suspect did not attempt to get away, Cummings said.

Oulson and his wife were taken by ambulance to a Tampa-area hospital, where Chad Oulson died, said Sheriff's Office spokesman Doug Tobin. His wife's injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Tampa Police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said in a news release that Reeves was a captain when he retired from the department in 1993. She added that he was instrumental in establishing the agency's first tactical response team. After he retired, Reeves worked security for the Busch Gardens theme park and was on the board of a neighboring county's Crime Stoppers organization. Reeves' son also is a Tampa officer, police said.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2014, 02:32 AM
RE: Deadly Texting
Saw this on The Young Turks as well.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
15-01-2014, 03:00 AM
(14-01-2014 04:05 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Man shot for texting during a movie..............Shocking

WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. (AP) - A 71-year-old retired police officer accused of shooting a man dead in a Florida movie theater told authorities that "he was in fear of being attacked" during Monday's confrontation.

Curtis Reeves is charged with second-degree murder in the death of 43-year-old Chad Oulson. A judge ordered Reeves held without bond during a court hearing Tuesday afternoon.

Pasco County Sheriff's officials say Reeves initially asked Oulson to stop texting at the theater in Wesley Chapel, a suburb about a half-hour north of downtown Tampa.

Sheriff's Detective Allen Proctor wrote that Reeves spoke to Oulson during the movie previews, then got up from his seat and informed management.

When Reeves returned to his seat "additional words were exchanged" and Oulson threw a bag of popcorn at Reeves, the report said.

After officers read him his rights, Reeves told the detective that Oulson struck him in the face with an unknown object, and that's when he removed a .380 caliber gun from his pants pocket. The report said Reeves fired the gun and struck Oulson once in the chest and that he "was in fear of being attacked."

Oulson's wife, who was also in the theater, had put her hand on her husband's chest prior to the shooting in an attempt to shield him. Officials say she was also struck by the bullet.

There were about 25 people in the theater at the time of the shooting, witnesses and authorities said. The movie playing was "Lone Survivor," about Navy SEALS in Afghanistan.

"I can't believe people would bring a pistol, a gun, to a movie," said Charles Cummings, who was sitting near Oulson and Reeves. "I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn. Over a cellphone."

Cummings, who said he was a combat Marine in Vietnam, said Oulson fell onto him and his son. When they spoke to reporters on Monday, both had blood on their clothes.

"Blood started coming out of his mouth," said Alex Cummings. "It was just a very bad scene."

Charles Cummings said his son went to call 911, while Cummings and another patron who was a nurse began performing CPR on the victim.

The man sitting next to the suspect happened to be an off-duty deputy from another county, and he grabbed the gun out of Reeves' hand, and the suspect did not attempt to get away, Cummings said.

Oulson and his wife were taken by ambulance to a Tampa-area hospital, where Chad Oulson died, said Sheriff's Office spokesman Doug Tobin. His wife's injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Tampa Police spokeswoman Laura McElroy said in a news release that Reeves was a captain when he retired from the department in 1993. She added that he was instrumental in establishing the agency's first tactical response team. After he retired, Reeves worked security for the Busch Gardens theme park and was on the board of a neighboring county's Crime Stoppers organization. Reeves' son also is a Tampa officer, police said.

So that guy is using self defence as his legal defence and justification for killing a man who got mad and threw popcorn?

Please tell me that Florida has laws relating to the use of reasonable force for self defence.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-01-2014, 03:03 AM
(15-01-2014 03:00 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(14-01-2014 04:05 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Man shot for texting during a movie..............Shocking

So that guy is using self defence as his legal defence and justification for killing a man who got mad and threw popcorn?

Please tell me that Florida has laws relating to the use of reasonable force for self defence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
15-01-2014, 03:22 AM
(15-01-2014 03:03 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 03:00 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So that guy is using self defence as his legal defence and justification for killing a man who got mad and threw popcorn?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Trayvon_Martin

Ah that..

I'mma guess 'no' then...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
15-01-2014, 03:42 AM
(15-01-2014 03:00 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  So that guy is using self defence as his legal defence and justification for killing a man who got mad and threw popcorn?

If you're in Florida and you're white, you're allowed to walk around while carrying a gun and shoot anyone you start a fight with who happens to have darker skin than yours; and ultimately be legally vindicated with the 'stand your ground' legal defense.

I'm white, and even I never what to visit Florida.

Ever. Drinking Beverage

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
15-01-2014, 04:05 AM
(15-01-2014 03:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

If you're in Florida and you're white, you're allowed to walk around while carrying a gun and shoot anyone you start a fight with who happens to have darker skin than yours; and ultimately be legally vindicated with the 'stand your ground' legal defense.

Ever. Drinking Beverage

So you've never been to Florida ?

Well, I've lived here for 47 years and I'll just expand to let you know that in a large portion of Fla. , if your white, you have much more of a chance of getting shot/killed by blacks, Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Haitians, Guatemalans, etc.

This state has become a human cesspool, and when a white person gets shot it doesnt get much press and the NAACP isnt going all Jesse Jackson or Sharpton over it.

That isnt to say that there isnt more than enough white trash here to fill a boat load or two, but the statement that just being white is a free pass to shoot anyone, is plain ignorant bullshit.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
15-01-2014, 04:17 AM
If this is casual coffee talk, I can't wait for your serious topics. Confused

Yeah, I watched the story on CNN.

(15-01-2014 03:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

Ever. Drinking Beverage

I thought the guy that shoot the black kid was Hispanic. Whatever he was, I don't think that it's relevant. From what I know of the case, whether you agree or disagree with the court's ruling, I don't that skin color or race was a determining factor. Perhaps I am wrong, but I didn't hear of any evidence that would suggest that race/skin color was a motive in the shooting, nor did I hear of anything which suggested it was a factor in the court's ruling. In the absence of evidence, I think the benefit of doubt should be given.

In the spirit of EK's post, I am white, and I've been to Florida many times, even did a few months of training there.

As for a "Stand Your Ground Law" being used as a defense, the 'legal expert' on CNN said no way no how could that be used as a defense in the death of the young man in the theater. To me it looks like an open and shut case of second degree murder, but these cases (as we have obviously have seen) all too often have surprising results.

Oh and it's "want" not "what".

[insert Vosur's Grammar Nazi pic]

15-01-2014, 08:41 AM
(15-01-2014 02:32 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Saw this on The Young Turks as well.

Unreal story. Thanks for the video.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
15-01-2014, 09:03 AM
(15-01-2014 03:42 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I'm white, and even I never what to visit Florida.
*want

[Image: Y5tGBer.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]