Dealing With the Frustration

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-09-2014, 02:34 AM
Dealing With the Frustration
It's been somewhere around a year now since diving head first into atheism and I sometimes wonder, "Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill."

I've never really been a believer...more of a 'I don't give a shit-er'. I've essentially been an atheist for the past several years, but I didn't give it a seconds thought. The religious garbage surrounding me had no effect until recently when I started making an effort into uncovering the lies and bullshit of, for the most part, Christianity.

So now that I am an 'active atheist' (I just made that up), I feel more and more frustrated with the world I live in, but there is no going back to being an atheist who just doesn't care that I live in a overtly religious society and just ignoring it. What I used to be able to ignore consumes a large portion of my waking thoughts. Now that I'm truly 'awake', religion is everywhere. And what's even more frustrating is that I see so many intelligent people walking around like zombies, all victims of this disease. How do they not see the lies? The bullshit? It's so unavoidably obviously false! Why can't they see?!

This was more of a rant than anything, as I don't really have anybody to discuss this stuff with regularly. Nearly everyone I know is a Christian, or at least that's how they identify themselves because that's what everybody else is around here. It's taboo not to believe in God. Despite it being a rant, I would still love to here from anyone else who might have some advice on how to deal with these day to day frustrations, because I basically cope by getting drunk on the weekends and if I didn't work nights I'd probably get drunk every day.

I wish we lived in an age where religion was a thing of the past. An idea that we looked back on and said, "Can you remember when we used to believe that stuff?"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
26-09-2014, 04:54 AM
RE: Dealing With the Frustration
(26-09-2014 02:34 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  It's been somewhere around a year now since diving head first into atheism and I sometimes wonder, "Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill."

I've never really been a believer...more of a 'I don't give a shit-er'. I've essentially been an atheist for the past several years, but I didn't give it a seconds thought. The religious garbage surrounding me had no effect until recently when I started making an effort into uncovering the lies and bullshit of, for the most part, Christianity.

So now that I am an 'active atheist' (I just made that up), I feel more and more frustrated with the world I live in, but there is no going back to being an atheist who just doesn't care that I live in a overtly religious society and just ignoring it. What I used to be able to ignore consumes a large portion of my waking thoughts. Now that I'm truly 'awake', religion is everywhere. And what's even more frustrating is that I see so many intelligent people walking around like zombies, all victims of this disease. How do they not see the lies? The bullshit? It's so unavoidably obviously false! Why can't they see?!

This was more of a rant than anything, as I don't really have anybody to discuss this stuff with regularly. Nearly everyone I know is a Christian, or at least that's how they identify themselves because that's what everybody else is around here. It's taboo not to believe in God. Despite it being a rant, I would still love to here from anyone else who might have some advice on how to deal with these day to day frustrations, because I basically cope by getting drunk on the weekends and if I didn't work nights I'd probably get drunk every day.

I wish we lived in an age where religion was a thing of the past. An idea that we looked back on and said, "Can you remember when we used to believe that stuff?"

"Nearly everyone I know is a Christian,"

Oh fuck! Poor you. You could move to Australia...

"I wish we lived in an age where religion was a thing of the past."

Won't be long....hang in there.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
26-09-2014, 05:55 AM
(26-09-2014 02:34 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  ...
how to deal with these day to day frustrations,

That's kinda what we're here for.

Ranting and Support

Yes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
26-09-2014, 06:17 AM
I think it makes me feel better when I hear others express the same frustrations as myself. And I think I best describe my frustrations as being "annoyed" by Christians.

It annoys me that they are so fake, deluded, pious, judgmental, entitled, arrogant, and most of hypocritical.
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
26-09-2014, 06:30 AM
(26-09-2014 04:54 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(26-09-2014 02:34 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  It's been somewhere around a year now since diving head first into atheism and I sometimes wonder, "Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill."

"I wish we lived in an age where religion was a thing of the past."

Won't be long....hang in there.

Moving to Australia has been a dream of mine since I was a little boy. Not sure why. Have absolutely no connections to the country, but have always been fascinated with the geography, animal life and culture. Plus I always loved the Crocodile Dundee movies..."I don't need a beer. I gotta donk."
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
26-09-2014, 06:50 AM
I'm sure everyone here at one point thought "what the hell was I doing believing in this garbage ?" before de-converting
[+] 2 users Like Ace's post
26-09-2014, 10:44 AM

In some ways, I've been experiencing the same thing as you lately. I was originally Catholic and left that religion in my early 20's. I veered off into some other woo for a few more years ( Rolleyes ) before finally letting go completely and accepting that I am an atheist. Another 25 or so years went by during which I gave religion very little thought. Then a religious family member suddenly became concerned about my atheism and stirred the pot with me. Because of that, I started paying more attention to religion in general and atheism sources. As time has gone on, I have found my patience wearing thinner. I just try to keep a balance in my life so I'm not overly focused on religion or atheism and it works for the most part. But, like you, during times when my thoughts are free to wander - like when I'm out walking my dog or I'm in the shower, it seems my thoughts always return to religion or atheism first.

It bothers me that this much of my life is being spent on fairy tales. But I don't want to do anything about it either because I also know it's necessary. I'm hoping that when I get older, have retired, and my kids are grown, I will have more time to contribute to providing information to others about why religions are full of crap and actually cause harm. Religion isn't going to lose its stronghold until atheists are the majority.

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
26-09-2014, 05:18 PM
(26-09-2014 10:44 AM)Impulse Wrote:  

In some ways, I've been experiencing the same thing as you lately. I was originally Catholic and left that religion in my early 20's. I veered off into some other woo for a few more years ( Rolleyes ) before finally letting go completely and accepting that I am an atheist. Another 25 or so years went by during which I gave religion very little thought. Then a religious family member suddenly became concerned about my atheism and stirred the pot with me. Because of that, I started paying more attention to religion in general and atheism sources. As time has gone on, I have found my patience wearing thinner. I just try to keep a balance in my life so I'm not overly focused on religion or atheism and it works for the most part. But, like you, during times when my thoughts are free to wander - like when I'm out walking my dog or I'm in the shower, it seems my thoughts always return to religion or atheism first.

It bothers me that this much of my life is being spent on fairy tales. But I don't want to do anything about it either because I also know it's necessary. I'm hoping that when I get older, have retired, and my kids are grown, I will have more time to contribute to providing information to others about why religions are full of crap and actually cause harm. Religion isn't going to lose its stronghold until atheists are the majority.

Here's my spiel from my book about this...

I believe the world would be a better, happier and safer place if Christianity disappeared. Visualize a world in which many more minority groups are respected. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if all the time and energy currently used in going to church was somehow channeled into humanitarian projects to improve dietary health, sanitation and education? Think of the good work that could be done through secular organizations using money saved by not subsidizing churches.

Some people would suffer a temporary deep-seated loss, but I think most individuals would be happier and healthier, particularly if they embraced a newfound confidence in the wisdom and companionship, not of imaginary friends in the sky, but of their fellow men. The only people likely to suffer any long-term consequences would be some bean counters and clergy, who would lose their jobs, income and status, although most of them would be happier too when they found more meaningful employment. (http://www.clergyproject.org).

We’re currently in a very fast moving period in history, with yearly advances in communication, computing, energy production, astronomy and medicine. Secular humanism, always at the cutting edge of ethical guidelines, is replacing antiquated dogma, so is on the up. It’s easier to be a pro-active secularist than it used to be. I hope I’m doing my bit by helping people grow out of Christianity. I see it as my duty to step up and speak for the children, rationality and science. I know I’m not always right about everything, but I also know that if I do nothing, then I will always be wrong.

I invite you to join me. There are very lively public discussions in the public arena about reason and superstition, science and faith, so why not contribute? To encourage people to employ reason is to help them be clear-headed, open-minded, and to not waste time, or make life hard for others with irrational restrictions. Reason helps us, the human race, to progress to new heights. Science and genuine empathy, not faith and dogma, should be what gives us direction. Christian prejudices should be countered, because all people deserve respect, regardless of their gender, culture, religion or sexual inclination. I think the lies and immorality in the bible and the poor Christian philosophy promoted in churches, schools and the media should be challenged in the public arena and around dinner tables. It would be nice to see all parents allow their children a secular education.

I think Christianity will one day be socially unacceptable, in the same way smoking, homophobia, sexism and high fructose corn syrup are on the nose in most modern communities today.

Changing society’s standards seems like a daunting task, yet it has happened throughout history. Consider the abolition of slavery, the suffragette movement, the war against cigarette advertising, and the fight for gay respect. Change is initiated by inspiring visionaries like Emmeline Pankhurst, Harvey Milk and Christopher Hitchens, people who voiced objections to the way things were. They made a better world for all of us by putting in the effort. Humanity needs proactive people like them. If we all just sit around and watch, things won’t change, and the human race might drive itself into oblivion. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2LehsA1dk).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Mark Fulton's post
26-09-2014, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 26-09-2014 09:11 PM by GirlyMan.)
(26-09-2014 02:34 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Nearly everyone I know is a Christian, or at least that's how they identify themselves ...
Very few seem to understand and appreciate The Word. Even fewer realize it.

(26-09-2014 04:54 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(26-09-2014 02:34 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Nearly everyone I know is a Christian, or at least that's how they identify themselves ...

Maryland might be closer. We got such a diversity of religion here that atheists just blend in with everybody else. Hell, I got a Hindu temple, a Buddhist temple, 2 Unitarian Universalist congregations, 2 Baptist churches, a Jewish synagogue, and the Seventh Day Adventist World Headquarters all within walking distance of my house. Around here, your own personal choice of metaphysics is just that, personal. Not only don't we give a shit, we keep it to ourselves unless it comes up naturally in the course of conversation. It's just polite.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-09-2014, 06:49 PM
Find a local group of atheists, there's a thread somewhere here where members can mark their location.

Also, through the AHA website you can find affiliated groups in most any city. I found a group in my city, then found their facebook page. It really helps to have local people in your circle. There's lots of meet ups, which usually involve beer,Thumbsup and a wide variety of things. Just being able to talk with people who are familiar with your town that isn't going to throw the Jesus card into every topic is refreshing.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post