Dealing with Depression

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2017, 12:07 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2017 12:32 AM by Thinker.)
Dealing with Depression
I am very depressed whilst answering daily questions how I am. My normal replies are always 'I'm very well, thank you.'

My depression partly stems from most people's disbelief that English is my first language. They constantly accuse me as a liar about my first language. If I say that English is not my first language, I am lying.

The truth is that English is my first language. I am really tired of having to prove that to everyone far and wide.

People's disbelief not only is insulting but does undermine my dignity as a human. I am personally very proud as a native English speaker. Fluency as a native English speaker largely constitutes my self-esteem.

These disbelievers are the atheists that I'm trying to contend with on another forum called Atheist Forums.

Edit: I'm even more depressed that much of humankind suffers a lot, including poverty and injustices. Depression isn't about me only. It's about my feelings for much of the humankind.

When I was 11 whilst sightseeing in India with family, I cried when I saw many homeless beggars. At 15, I read magazines depicting Africans being razed and massacred by armies. I was disturbed and distressed to know that women are at a greater disadvantage and suffer greater harassment. I am still even distressed and sad that poor people are suffering badly and not every life is fulfilled on equal magnitude.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2017, 12:27 AM
RE: Dealing with Depression
I'm very sorry to hear you suffer from depression. I have also had it for a long time, brought on by getting M.E.

I'm also sad to hear people are hassling you about this issue. I don't know why anyone would make such a big deal about it. My advice would be to just put people on ignore who are calling you a liar, or demanding proof from you. You've no duty to prove it to anyone. It's none of their business. If they can't get past that and have a civilized discussion with you about whatever you actually want to talk about, they are not worth your time. If you say it's your first language, then people should respect you enough to believe that and to keep their personal issues to themselves, unless you're actually asking their opinion.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-02-2017, 12:28 AM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2017 12:32 AM by Thinker.)
(24-02-2017 12:27 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I'm very sorry to hear you suffer from depression. I have also had it for a long time, brought on by getting M.E.

I'm also sad to hear people are hassling you about this issue. I don't know why anyone would make such a big deal about it. My advice would be to just put people on ignore who are calling you a liar, or demanding proof from you. You've no duty to prove it to anyone. It's none of their business. If they can't get past that and have a civilized discussion with you about whatever you actually want to talk about, they are not worth your time. If you say it's your first language, then people should respect you enough to believe that and to keep their personal issues to themselves, unless you're actually asking their opinion.

Thank you. I've added another note in OP but I'll repeat here.

I'm even more depressed that much of humankind suffers a lot, including poverty and injustices. Depression isn't about me only. It's about my feelings for much of the humankind.

When I was 11 whilst sightseeing in India with family, I cried when I saw many homeless beggars. At 15, I read magazines depicting Africans being razed and massacred by armies. I was disturbed and distressed to know that women are at a greater disadvantage and suffer greater harassment. I am still even distressed and sad that poor people are suffering badly and not every life is fulfilled on equal magnitude.
24-02-2017, 12:36 AM
Me too, absolutely. If I allow myself to think fully about worldwide suffering, of both humans and animals, it is completely debilitating to me. I can't bear it. All I can do is acknowledge that it is happening, do what little I can to help with it, and then try to accept that I simply can't do anything about the rest of it. Bringing people's attention to injustices where possible, and leading by example, is sometimes the best I can accomplish.

When my depression is at its worst, adopting attitudes like this is of course much harder. I have to really fight the emotions hard with logic, as much as I can. Sometimes it's just a matter of surviving the really bad periods, until my mood improves.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
24-02-2017, 12:45 AM
(24-02-2017 12:36 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Me too, absolutely. If I allow myself to think fully about worldwide suffering, of both humans and animals, it is completely debilitating to me. I can't bear it. All I can do is acknowledge that it is happening, do what little I can to help with it, and then try to accept that I simply can't do anything about the rest of it. Bringing people's attention to injustices where possible, and leading by example, is sometimes the best I can accomplish.

When my depression is at its worst, adopting attitudes like this is of course much harder. I have to really fight the emotions hard with logic, as much as I can. Sometimes it's just a matter of surviving the really bad periods, until my mood improves.

Yes, seeing animals get killed by humans but also seeing one animal preying upon another is really distressing to me. It's very hard for me to accept that animals preying on other animals is just part of the ecological process and is natural. Although I have desires to become rich, I feel sick and uneasy with the idea of being rich myself - I just feel really nihilistic, considering how many, almost a billion humans or so, are really suffering. This is why, even if I earn lots of money, I abhor the idea of being rich myself - it makes me all the more guiltier. Unless some wealthy people are truly altruistic, the idea of wealth sounds ignorant, arrogant and negligent. I'd only like to earn precisely upon how much I've contributed to the world and I'd love to moderate my income for fairness and equity's sake in regards to many others at a financial disadvantage far and wide. I just can't help with that anyway - everyone is selfish naturally and needs to survive through competition.

Competition is another issue that I abhor - I always like to think that with cooperation comes progress. I dislike the idea that innovation comes from competition - but that is a fact anyway.
24-02-2017, 12:53 AM
Yes, nature is incredibly cruel. That's another thing I have to try to accept, and not think about too much. All I can say is that there is no "evil" going on there, it's just how things have evolved. But I know how horrible it is to think about, especially when you're emotionally vulnerable.

I know what you mean. If I was ever to become rich, I would spend only what I needed on myself and give the rest to charity. I could never sit around in obscene luxury, burning money on indulgences, while people suffered around me. If possible, I'd try to set up my own charities as well.

24-02-2017, 12:56 AM
(24-02-2017 12:53 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Yes, nature is incredibly cruel. That's another thing I have to try to accept, and not think about too much. All I can say is that there is no "evil" going on there, it's just how things have evolved. But I know how horrible it is to think about, especially when you're emotionally vulnerable.

I know what you mean. If I was ever to become rich, I would spend only what I needed on myself and give the rest to charity. I could never sit around in obscene luxury, burning money on indulgences, while people suffered around me. If possible, I'd try to set up my own charities as well.

I've added my note to Theistic Inclinations thread, that is, my 13th post. It tells how I abhor the idea of God if God is defined in particular ways. See thereof.

Theistic Inclinations
24-02-2017, 12:57 AM
Hug Thinker
24-02-2017, 01:43 AM
I get into these states where I isolate myself from others and then I feel lonely but also think I deserve loneliness
my motivation goes out the window and I stop enjoying life
however, nobody bothers to address it really since it doesnt tend to stop me from being productive. I feel miserable but still get good grades
I'll also get mood swings where one moment I feel enthusiastic about trying a myriad of new things and being extremely useful and then I go into wanting to not exist any longer
I tried to get an evaluation a few months back but it fell through and I think letting nature take its course is a better idea
the good news is if things get REALLY bad, I'm growing oleander...
24-02-2017, 01:51 AM
I would certain recommend seeking help for any kind of serious depression.

When I first became depressed, I heavily resisted any help, including anti-depressants. I figured I was reacting rationally to how shit everything is. And it's true, I was. But we are often capable of dealing with how shit things are, and still being able to function and to make a difference. That's what keeps me going, really. If I allow it to consume me, I won't be able to do anything about it at all.

Anti-depressants and therapy have saved my life, no questions about it. I've only narrowly escaped with my sanity, even after all that help. So I'd have had no chance without it. Of course drugs are powerful things and not to be taken lightly, but when the alternative is profound misery, I think it is worth it. The way I see it, they restore some of the balance to the mind. They gave me that little bit of extra strength, so that I became strong enough to help myself and keep my head above water.

Of course, sometimes depression is purely situational, and in such cases drugs and therapy are only stop-gaps to help you address the real issues. Often it's a mixture of both.

[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post