Dealing with believers help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Dealing with believers help
Normally I have no problem with religious people when they pray, or do other religious things so long as they don't bother me; but an acquaintance of mine is being particularly... religious. he know's I'm an atheist, we've had fairly heated discussions before. Anyways, he's studying to be a pastor and he talks to me about it. I'm not sure what to do, I want to be kind, but as I see it he's learning how to perpetuate this disease. Like I say, he approaches me and tells me about his pastoral studies, but isn't exactly preaching directly at me. I hope you understood that, I'm confusing myself. What do you guys do with believers?

Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. -Laurence J. Peter
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Derek Hammar's post
04-12-2013, 09:19 PM
RE: Dealing with believers help
It's your job to seed rational thought, keep asking them to justify the bibles contradictions and expose the anti evolution lies.
Even if you think you are making no headway, they will eventually be cornered into a pre big bang Deist position, that's a small victory.

Its not a fair fight, we just have to stick with observable facts, they have to Justify contradictions and remember hundreds of lies already exposed. .

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
04-12-2013, 09:29 PM
I don't engage in those types of conversations. I have no desire to debate with others or to listen to the preaching. I've got others things I would rather do with my time.

I find a way to shut it down quickly or walk away.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
04-12-2013, 09:43 PM
(04-12-2013 09:29 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I don't engage in those types of conversations. I have no desire to debate with others or to listen to the preaching. I've got others things I would rather do with my time.

Coward, they are trying to save your sole, you should in turn be trying to save their self respect from subservience.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
05-12-2013, 10:22 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with communicating what you said in this post to him. You can further the conversation after that anyway you want (I don't think it would make you a coward for not wanting to debate with him).
Before I was more confirmed in my current advocacy for logic and reason, I had to say to a couple people in my life something like: "Honestly, I'm not really comfortable with talking about religion with you. You know where I stand on the subject and it doesn't feel like you respect me as a person when you keep bringing this up with me. Other than this one area, I enjoy our conversations and would like to continue them, but if religion is brought up, I'm going to politely excuse myself." Because I was at a place where talking to the overtly religious made me really angry and anxious, I just decided I needed to be honest and stand up for myself. It's a scary thing to do (especially if you're a people pleaser) but afterwards you'll feel so empowered. And if he brings up religion again, just walk away. (Unless, of course you WANT to debate him... but it sounds like you've done that in the past and it hasn't really gone anywhere.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes QueenTit's post
05-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Queentit (awesome name XD) I do love to debate, despite not getting anywhere. The thing is he doesn't preach to me, he'll talk about his preaching. If he was trying to preach to me I'd have no qualms about arguing. Instead for some reason he'll tell me about how the preaching went, or his audience. Just small talk, simple stuff. Idk, but I'm fairly certain converting me has become a pet project. Haha, isn't that fun?

sporehux, i totally agree. It get's frustrating, but it's always best to keep trying! Big Grin

05-12-2013, 04:13 PM
(05-12-2013 03:45 PM)Derek Hammar Wrote:  Queentit (awesome name XD) I do love to debate, despite not getting anywhere. The thing is he doesn't preach to me, he'll talk about his preaching. If he was trying to preach to me I'd have no qualms about arguing. Instead for some reason he'll tell me about how the preaching went, or his audience. Just small talk, simple stuff. Idk, but I'm fairly certain converting me has become a pet project. Haha, isn't that fun?

sporehux, i totally agree. It get's frustrating, but it's always best to keep trying! Big Grin

I still think, even if he's not preaching to you, that you have the right to ask him not to breach the subject of religion with you.
05-12-2013, 04:19 PM
(04-12-2013 09:11 PM)Derek Hammar Wrote:  Normally I have no problem with religious people when they pray, or do other religious things so long as they don't bother me; but an acquaintance of mine is being particularly... religious. he know's I'm an atheist, we've had fairly heated discussions before. Anyways, he's studying to be a pastor and he talks to me about it. I'm not sure what to do, I want to be kind, but as I see it he's learning how to perpetuate this disease. Like I say, he approaches me and tells me about his pastoral studies, but isn't exactly preaching directly at me. I hope you understood that, I'm confusing myself. What do you guys do with believers?

It is a comfort issue. If you don't and he doesn't mind the heated debate, go for it. But don't let anyone suck the life out of you, on any issue. If you get that tired of it, don't do it.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
05-12-2013, 04:21 PM
(05-12-2013 04:13 PM)QueenTit Wrote:  
(05-12-2013 03:45 PM)Derek Hammar Wrote:  Queentit (awesome name XD) I do love to debate, despite not getting anywhere. The thing is he doesn't preach to me, he'll talk about his preaching. If he was trying to preach to me I'd have no qualms about arguing. Instead for some reason he'll tell me about how the preaching went, or his audience. Just small talk, simple stuff. Idk, but I'm fairly certain converting me has become a pet project. Haha, isn't that fun?

I still think, even if he's not preaching to you, that you have the right to ask him not to breach the subject of religion with you.
Okay, next time I'll say something. Thanks Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Derek Hammar's post
05-12-2013, 04:24 PM
(04-12-2013 09:29 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I don't engage in those types of conversations. I have no desire to debate with others or to listen to the preaching. I've got others things I would rather do with my time.

A sensible approach. I don't seem to have this ability of which you speak.Weeping

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume