Dealing with chronic illness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2016, 05:55 AM
RE: Dealing with chronic illness
(05-08-2016 03:03 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Anjele,

Phew! Respect.

OK, confession time. While the OP about my friend is true, one reason he and I discuss this stuff is that I am suffering too. I have a nasty bowel disease (not cancer) which has been sucking the life out of me for 20 years. Once I bled out and it was an ambulance and emergency operation. It could happen again any time.

D.

Re, tough times with the pain, I have some breathing exercises which have helped a bit on bad days. Just counting the breaths and slowing down heart rate while resting on a bed.

So, you learned to use the Lamaze method? Wink I do that when I get hit with kidney stones. It does help a bit.

I hope that things get better for you also. I am sorry to hear that you are sick.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-08-2016, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2016 09:14 AM by Chas.)
I have been experiencing chronic pain for some 35 years. For several years, I used alcohol and prescription pain killers to try to control it.
While that works to some degree, it is not without deleterious side effects. Dodgy

My primary care doctor sent me to a pain management clinic that teaches various coping mechanisms and prescribes appropriate medication in appropriate amounts.

For some types of chronic pain, there are things that can be done to work on the underlying cause(s) of it. Musculoskeletal pain is often alleviated by appropriate exercise.
My chronic pain is largely musculoskeletal but with some nerve damage pain, as well.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-08-2016, 08:50 AM
I have tried a lot of things to alleviate pain with varying degrees of success.

Massages helped for a while but I had to find someone with the equipment needed for me to lay on my stomach and who was knowledgeable about post-mastectomy issues...not the easiest task. My doctor said that the massages were helping to dissipate fluid that was building up around the implants. That's not an issue any more so I stopped that...it's a bit expensive.

For my shoulder nerve issues I bought a TENS machine. I don't use it often, I save it for when nothing else seems to help and it's great!

I have also had to learn how to lift things differently so as not to wake those nerves up.

Life hacks to live with pain. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
05-08-2016, 03:04 PM
(05-08-2016 08:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  I have been experiencing chronic pain for some 35 years. For several years, I used alcohol and prescription pain killers to try to control it.
While that works to some degree, it is not without deleterious side effects. Dodgy

My primary care doctor sent me to a pain management clinic that teaches various coping mechanisms and prescribes appropriate medication in appropriate amounts.

For some types of chronic pain, there are things that can be done to work on the underlying cause(s) of it. Musculoskeletal pain is often alleviated by appropriate exercise.
My chronic pain is largely musculoskeletal but with some nerve damage pain, as well.

Chas,

Alcohol and pain killers. Tell me about it. Confused

Alcohol always works, but only for a few hours and a bad day afterwards.

The docs gave me a pile of co-codamol painkillers which I didn't use. Just recently I've found that a couple of over the counter co-codamols do help first thing in the morning. That's when the bowel pains kick in. Problem is that any kind of opiates are a slippery slope. Recently the docs have added statins to the prescribed cocktail and I do not get on with them.

Pills. Sad

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post