• 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2018, 11:16 AM
RE: Dealing with my death sentence...
Oh wow, I'm so so sorry for you and your family. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2018, 11:17 AM
Each and everyone of us will have his own appointment in Samarra but I can't decide if knowing (even if vaguely) the date of it is good thing or not. Still, you have option of ending it with dignity and that is as good as it gets in situation like this - no one should be forced to suffer beyond strength.

I hope you will be able to put time that remained to you to a good use. Hugs to you and yours, for whatever they're worth.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
20-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Hug

Heart

While wishing you all the best sounds trite to myself even as I type the words.

Having spent time with Banjo (Another board member who's gone through the Cancer hell) I can but offer what little I can from another part of the world.

Hug

Heart
20-02-2018, 01:19 PM
I am truly sorry you have to go through this. Hope you keep fighting because seeing a new sunrise is enough to keep my step-mom going every day.
20-02-2018, 01:42 PM
I'm so so very sorry to hear what you're going through. I think some of the previous posters have given you some good advice about your son. Please feel free to come here and rant anytime.

Heart Hug

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
20-02-2018, 02:12 PM
I have no words....really.
Im trying to....but sorry.
Nothing but,
just a couple of months back a co-worker of mine was given up by the docs too, he had a brain tumor. I saw him every day in office until the very last day.
I was impressed about his ability to continue a "normal" life and continue to be the soft mannered and soft spoken person he was, in spite of his death sentence. He left a widow and a small kid.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
20-02-2018, 09:12 PM
(20-02-2018 10:28 AM)Dom Wrote:  I am very sorry, having an expiration date is a hard thing to swallow.

I am with you on the assisted suicide - my state has a "death with dignity" law that does the same and I support it whole heartedly.

I don't have any advice on how to break it to your kid - he is quite young and I don't know him.

I do have a suggestion though - think about him at different ages -what would you want to tell him when he's 12? 15? 17?

Make some videos for him, and have your wife give them to him at the appropriate age. The world always changes rapidly, and things will be different when he listens to them, but some things always stay the same.

Just some food for thought - it won't be easy making the tapes, either.

If you want to talk, you can PM me. I don't have experience with kids, but I do have experience with death and dying.

Heart
I have little to offer but this: If you are at all inclined to talk to somebody, take Dom up on her offer above. It's one thing to mean well, but she really knows, is straightforward and helpful always.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
21-02-2018, 06:37 AM
(20-02-2018 10:13 AM)DunkleSeele Wrote:  I really don't know why I'm writing this, I'm not the kind of person who usually rants on a public forum...

I haven't spoken with you before mate, but please be assured my thoughts are with you at this time. I also appreciate that you've let us into this very private part of your life; it's taken courage which you can be proud of.

Never having had children myself I can't really offer you any practical suggestions with telling, and supporting, your little boy. You may like to check out this site written by a Canadian psychotherapist and death and dying counsellor:
When to Tell the Children: Preparing Children for the Death of Someone Close to Them.

(I apologise if simply providing a link seems too impersonal, but as a cancer survivor myself, I have at least some awareness of what you've been going through.)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
21-02-2018, 10:29 PM
I am not suggesting anyone do illegal drugs, but I thought this was interesting.

Good luck to you.
22-02-2018, 07:38 PM
I'm sorry you have to go through this but also I am hoping that at least those 1-2 years you have, you can enjoy as much as possible. Good that you are in Switzerland where you have that choice. It must have been very hard to get confront with the news and having to make decisions of this kind. I feel very empathetic and hope you have the support you need during this hard time.

As for the kid. He/she is 8 and while it seems very young to deal with such news, kids of that age are very smart and can be very mature too. Just try to think yourself back into that age and ask yourself how you would have wanted it.

2+2=4