Dealing with my godchild

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2013, 07:53 AM
Dealing with my godchild
Hi there,
I had yesterday some depressing discussion with the mother of my godchild. I tried to explain the scientific method, because I know she doesnt like vaccination and uses homeopathy. The thing is that she rekies on modern medicine. The chuld was born by in vitro ferilisation. "But that doesnt mean that homeopathy or chinese medicine doesnt work and your opinion is as valid as mine". We talked for an hour and she wants to have another child and will have it in her bed. I told her that this is a risk factor for sudden infant death. Her reply was that my godchild id very healthy anf every child is differnt and she believes that sleeping in the same bed with the child is very beneficial. I gave up and decided not to bring the topic up again. Thoughts or similar experiences??
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2013, 02:55 PM
RE: Dealing with my godchild
Before there was such a thing as a chickenpox vaccine, it wasn't an uncommon thing when a kid got chickenpox for other moms to bring their unexposed kids over for a chickenpox party. The rationale was that the exposure would get the kids to catch chickenpox from their sick friend and the result would be that kids developed a natural immunity to chickenpox.

A vaccine does essentially the same thing, without the child actually having to get sick. The risks of contracting the diseases we vaccinate against are far worse than anti-vaxxers make them out to be.

I have a BIL who contracted polio before the vaccine was available and another who is deaf as a result of contracting meningitis at age 5, which is now also part of the childhood vaccination program.

Damn right I got my kids vaccinated.

. . . all the gods were stories we told the children to make them behave. ~ Thoros of Myr (Game of Thrones, Episode 3:06)
[+] 2 users Like Scully's post
01-06-2013, 03:03 PM
What Scully said. But it can be difficult to get through to people with logic and facts if those people don't value logic and facts. A lot of these people have just latched on to their views and will just react emotionally if you try to present the facts.

Quote:"But that doesnt mean that homeopathy or chinese medicine doesnt work and your opinion is as valid as mine".
Argh. I hate that crap. "My fiction is just as good as your scientific evidence!" No, it's not... and the reason is that one position is supported by evidence with repeatable results. I don't think they grasp how irresponsible it is to use nonmedicine on your kids (instead of real medicine) and avoid all vaccines.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Doesn't being a godparent mean that you are to make sure the child is raised in the parents' religious beliefs in the event that said parent(s) can't? That's what it means in the Catholic church.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
01-06-2013, 03:24 PM
It sounds like she's happy to consult actual medicine if something major comes up. Other than crying over the money she's wasting, maybe she's doing just fine and you shouldn't be too worried? As for co-sleeping and attachment parenting, this is presumably her second child and she has a clear idea of how she wants to manage things. The best you can do is make suggestions but I'm sure she feels (and may be correct in feeling) that she has done the necessary research.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
01-06-2013, 04:31 PM
I often slept in the same bed as my mom, and look how well I turned out! =D

But I took the OP to mean Cunar is worried about possible distrust of medicine, maybe only using it when it suits her needs (in vitro, for example). It all depends on the reasons for using homeopathy. Hopefully it's not like the person in that other thread, using plain water to treat broken bones.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2013, 04:42 PM
I have many, many, many Mom-friends that follow this style of parenting. I've heard both sides of these issues.

I would suggest for you pick your battles or its possible you won't be involved all.
-as for vacc - try suggesting a delayed vacc schedule. Many people who are on the fence about vacc's will agree to a delayed schedule and most peds in the US will agree as well. Dr Sears has one in his books.
- as for sleeping with the baby- honestly I wouldn't worry too much. If the child is healthy, and the parents aren't going to bed on drugs or alcohol and fairly light/normal sleepers it should be fine. You can use blankets in a tight roll to form a bit of a boundary.
-as for home birth- as long as she is receiving proper pre-natal care from a doctor, has no risk factors, and has a certified mid-wife on call then I don't have a problem with it. I know quite a few people who go this route. Women have been doing this forever.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post