Dealing with negative emotions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2016, 04:30 PM
RE: Dealing with negative emotions
Thanks, everyone. I am getting a dim idea of what you are describing...and yes, I am very glad I haven't had to deal with the things you are describing.

I am curious...I would describe depression as a chronic sadness.
Depression is not synonymous with sadness? How do they differ?

I have had a few bad motorcycle wrecks...the worst was in the mid 80's, my best friend was on the back of my KZ1000 and we encountered deer in the dark. I could have made it if I didn't have a passenger, but...I didn't. My buddy crushed his right hand and broke his back, I broke my neck, destroyed my lower mandible (jaw, it's mostly stainless steel now) my right leg, all but one rib on my right side, punctured a lung/internal bleeding, tore a hole in my right cheek and ripped my nose off. The plastic surgeons and Maxillofacial surgeons at Wilford Hall Med center on Lackland AFB are brilliant. My pic is in that pic thread...they did an amazing job of rebuilding me. And my buddy. It's a lot easier to BE the guy in the hospital bed than to be the friend or relative of the guy in the hospital bed. My daughter was in a horrible accident last August (2015) Her best friend died and my daughter very nearly did. When that cop honked at our front gate at 10:30 that night...well, that is rough.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2016, 05:14 AM
(22-08-2016 04:30 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  It's a lot easier to BE the guy in the hospital bed than to be the friend or relative of the guy in the hospital bed. My daughter was in a horrible accident last August (2015) Her best friend died and my daughter very nearly did. When that cop honked at our front gate at 10:30 that night...well, that is rough.

Dark One,

Understood. Can't add anything to that.

D.
27-08-2016, 09:42 PM
I've found that meditation, in a quiet space, REALLY helps. I'm not an atheist, anymore, but really anyone can meditate, and it's very calming and helps you to become centered. Negative emotions are fleeting, but if we try to ignore them, hoping they'll go away, they often don't. And can keep growing. So, if you are having a stressful day or have negative feelings welling up, find time when you get home to meditate. It's really a great way to improve this part of your thinking.

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
28-08-2016, 01:45 AM
(27-08-2016 09:42 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I've found that meditation, in a quiet space, REALLY helps. I'm not an atheist, anymore, but really anyone can meditate, and it's very calming and helps you to become centered. Negative emotions are fleeting, but if we try to ignore them, hoping they'll go away, they often don't. And can keep growing. So, if you are having a stressful day or have negative feelings welling up, find time when you get home to meditate. It's really a great way to improve this part of your thinking.

Deirdre,

That's really good. Some people have told me that they think of meditation as sitting quietly. Its anything but, once the negative thoughts start kicking!

So, we face the thoughts square on and take a look, but no engagement. This is very hard to do, but once we have the skill it can happen all day, the thoughts just passing like clouds in the sky.

Maybe meditation is like stepping out of an argument?

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post