Dealing with religious parents

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2015, 07:47 AM
Dealing with religious parents
I grew up with fundamentalist Christian parents, who were emotionally and verbally abusive from the time I was 13. I was extremely indoctrinated from day one, praying "the prayer" when I was just four years old. As the abuse from my parents worsened, I would come home from a rough day at school to be immediately verbally assaulted by my parents about how everything that happened was somehow my fault, and that I was not sufficiently "shining the light of Jesus." *sigh* Anyway, eventually I came to the realization that no all-benevolent and omnipotent being would let that sort of bullshit go down, day in and day out. I have been an atheist ever since, not only because of my parents, but for myriad other reasons as well. To escape the constant abuse from my parents, I convinced them to let me go to France for a three month Bible school. It has actually been a great experience, not because I am "learning about god," but because I have been able to become fluent in French, see the world a little bit, and just realize that life can be really great when you're not being constantly emotionally beaten down. I am nearing the end of my stay in France however, and will have to return to my parents' house for four months before I am 18 and can leave for good. I am really dreading being back in that environment, and I have been having nightmares for the last week or so about being abused by my parents. I'm really not sure how to calm myself down or get myself pumped up. I have fallen into some pretty deep depression in the past on account of the abuse, and I really don't want to go down that road again. Any thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes popopixie's post
12-03-2015, 08:07 AM
RE: Dealing with religious parents
Over to you Bonnie...

It's quite easy to get lost there for a few months.

I did. In my late teens and again in my early twenties.

So I recommend simply forgetting to go home.

Back then it was quite easy to get part time jobs to keep you in cheap wine and cheap lodgings.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
12-03-2015, 08:25 AM
(12-03-2015 08:07 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Over to you Bonnie...

It's quite easy to get lost there for a few months.

I did. In my late teens and again in my early twenties.

So I recommend simply forgetting to go home.

Back then it was quite easy to get part time jobs to keep you in cheap wine and cheap lodgings.

Haha, as much as I would love to just get lost in France, my visa expires at the end of the month and I'm pretty sure it would be illegal for me to just disappear while underage in a foreign country. Tongue
12-03-2015, 08:32 AM
And the worse that will happen is that they'll send you home

... but they'll have to find you first Big Grin

OK. Plan B.

When you go home, speak only in French.

Yes

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
12-03-2015, 08:41 AM
I am really sorry to hear about your abusive parents. So much for a loving message from the NT. Are you close to graduating high school? If so, I would see about starting college ahead of your first semester by taking a couple of summer school classes. It sounds to me like you really need to get away from that environment, but also, give yourself a of of credit since you have a lot of inner strength for rising above them and seeing them for what they are. Let us know a little bit more about your situation, with more information, we can be of more help. Welcome to the TTA.
12-03-2015, 09:37 AM
let me guess, you actually attended the bible program you were sent there to attend? sheesh....mistake #1. You had three months to plan and figure this out and now you are down to the end and don't want to leave.

you are a minor, like DLJ said, the worst they will do is send you home.

you could get married, find a job that will extend your visa, go to the embassy and seek asylum from your brutal family.

i don't think any of those options are viable unless you have found a french friend that would like to marry an American....are you American?

either way, sounds like you are headed home.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
12-03-2015, 09:41 AM
i do suggest when you step off that plane, that you don't slink back into the same old rountines and behaviors. You have matured while you were gone.....run full speed into adulthood break down all the crap your parents were giving you. Don't tolerate the bullshit anymore.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
12-03-2015, 09:47 AM
They do sound like a pair of winners.

Look for a job. Spend as little time around them as possible. Get away from them as soon as you can.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
12-03-2015, 10:10 AM
(12-03-2015 09:41 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  ....
run full speed into adulthood break down all the crap your parents were giving you. Don't tolerate the bullshit anymore.

But don't forget to thank them for funding your trip and helping to shape you into the fully formed human being of whom they can be rightfully proud.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-03-2015, 02:33 AM
(12-03-2015 07:47 AM)popopixie Wrote:  I grew up with fundamentalist Christian parents, who were emotionally and verbally abusive from the time I was 13. I was extremely indoctrinated from day one, praying "the prayer" when I was just four years old. As the abuse from my parents worsened, I would come home from a rough day at school to be immediately verbally assaulted by my parents about how everything that happened was somehow my fault, and that I was not sufficiently "shining the light of Jesus." *sigh* Anyway, eventually I came to the realization that no all-benevolent and omnipotent being would let that sort of bullshit go down, day in and day out. I have been an atheist ever since, not only because of my parents, but for myriad other reasons as well. To escape the constant abuse from my parents, I convinced them to let me go to France for a three month Bible school. It has actually been a great experience, not because I am "learning about god," but because I have been able to become fluent in French, see the world a little bit, and just realize that life can be really great when you're not being constantly emotionally beaten down. I am nearing the end of my stay in France however, and will have to return to my parents' house for four months before I am 18 and can leave for good. I am really dreading being back in that environment, and I have been having nightmares for the last week or so about being abused by my parents. I'm really not sure how to calm myself down or get myself pumped up. I have fallen into some pretty deep depression in the past on account of the abuse, and I really don't want to go down that road again. Any thoughts?
Cartman: Kyle you need to stop being such a chicken shit and stand up to your mother!, you need to smack her in the face and say that's enough of your shit you fucking bitch! Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And they arent true christians the fact that they are abusive, self righteous, and judgemental shows that.)