Dealing with religious parents

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2015, 07:39 AM
RE: Dealing with religious parents
Find a job, hobby, sport, after school program, or basically anything that can keep you out of the house as much as possible until you finish school and can go to college early.

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

-Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes USMCLoggy's post
13-03-2015, 04:33 PM
(12-03-2015 09:37 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  let me guess, you actually attended the bible program you were sent there to attend? sheesh....mistake #1. You had three months to plan and figure this out and now you are down to the end and don't want to leave.

you are a minor, like DLJ said, the worst they will do is send you home.

you could get married, find a job that will extend your visa, go to the embassy and seek asylum from your brutal family.

i don't think any of those options are viable unless you have found a french friend that would like to marry an American....are you American?

either way, sounds like you are headed home.

I understand what you're saying, but that's really not helpful at this point. There was no way that I could have *not* attended the bible school. My parents took me there, dropped me off, and will pick me up at the end. They would have been immediately notified, my visa cancelled, and I would have been deported if I had simply stopped attending/ stopped communicating with them.

You may be right about going to the embassy, but I don't know that they give asylum for things like this? I could google it.
13-03-2015, 04:35 PM
(12-03-2015 09:41 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  i do suggest when you step off that plane, that you don't slink back into the same old rountines and behaviors. You have matured while you were gone.....run full speed into adulthood break down all the crap your parents were giving you. Don't tolerate the bullshit anymore.

That is a very good idea. I will definitely keep that in mind. You're absolutely right.
13-03-2015, 04:47 PM
(13-03-2015 02:33 AM)A New Hope Wrote:  
(12-03-2015 07:47 AM)popopixie Wrote:  I grew up with fundamentalist Christian parents, who were emotionally and verbally abusive from the time I was 13. I was extremely indoctrinated from day one, praying "the prayer" when I was just four years old. As the abuse from my parents worsened, I would come home from a rough day at school to be immediately verbally assaulted by my parents about how everything that happened was somehow my fault, and that I was not sufficiently "shining the light of Jesus." *sigh* Anyway, eventually I came to the realization that no all-benevolent and omnipotent being would let that sort of bullshit go down, day in and day out. I have been an atheist ever since, not only because of my parents, but for myriad other reasons as well. To escape the constant abuse from my parents, I convinced them to let me go to France for a three month Bible school. It has actually been a great experience, not because I am "learning about god," but because I have been able to become fluent in French, see the world a little bit, and just realize that life can be really great when you're not being constantly emotionally beaten down. I am nearing the end of my stay in France however, and will have to return to my parents' house for four months before I am 18 and can leave for good. I am really dreading being back in that environment, and I have been having nightmares for the last week or so about being abused by my parents. I'm really not sure how to calm myself down or get myself pumped up. I have fallen into some pretty deep depression in the past on account of the abuse, and I really don't want to go down that road again. Any thoughts?
Cartman: Kyle you need to stop being such a chicken shit and stand up to your mother!, you need to smack her in the face and say that's enough of your shit you fucking bitch! Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And they arent true christians the fact that they are abusive, self righteous, and judgemental shows that.)

Um, there is no real need for name calling here. I have attempted to stand up to my parents time and time again, and it only ever leads to worse abuse. Also, what makes you think it is just my mother? Both of my parents participate in these horrible verbal assaults. Though I did find your phrasing entertaining.
(I'm also not sure what you mean by "real christians." The bible justifies all sorts of insanity, and certainly should not be used as a guide for anyone's life. Sure, Jesus may have said some things like, "Judge not, lest ye be judged," but Christians who believe at least in everything in the new testament will note that there is some pretty weird stuff in there. Everything from being gay being an abomination to that women should not be allowed to speak in Church (and arguably in general). All this to say that being a Christian - "true christian" or not - does not make you a good person.
[+] 1 user Likes popopixie's post
13-03-2015, 06:17 PM
(12-03-2015 07:47 AM)popopixie Wrote:  I grew up with fundamentalist Christian parents, who were emotionally and verbally abusive from the time I was 13. I was extremely indoctrinated from day one, praying "the prayer" when I was just four years old. As the abuse from my parents worsened, I would come home from a rough day at school to be immediately verbally assaulted by my parents about how everything that happened was somehow my fault, and that I was not sufficiently "shining the light of Jesus." *sigh* Anyway, eventually I came to the realization that no all-benevolent and omnipotent being would let that sort of bullshit go down, day in and day out. I have been an atheist ever since, not only because of my parents, but for myriad other reasons as well. To escape the constant abuse from my parents, I convinced them to let me go to France for a three month Bible school. It has actually been a great experience, not because I am "learning about god," but because I have been able to become fluent in French, see the world a little bit, and just realize that life can be really great when you're not being constantly emotionally beaten down. I am nearing the end of my stay in France however, and will have to return to my parents' house for four months before I am 18 and can leave for good. I am really dreading being back in that environment, and I have been having nightmares for the last week or so about being abused by my parents. I'm really not sure how to calm myself down or get myself pumped up. I have fallen into some pretty deep depression in the past on account of the abuse, and I really don't want to go down that road again. Any thoughts?

If it is as bad as you say it is, than gtfo when you turn 18. I am not saying this is good advice or the best advice. But, as you are leaving out the door. Just as you step in your car. Make sure you tell them that you want to say something to them just before you step in the car door and shut the door. Just say, I am an atheist. Shut the door, drive off and never speak to them again.

Abusive parents deserve to be cut off from your life. If they one day realize the mistakes they had made and want to make amends, then let them. Until then, you don't need them.

Just find yourself some good friends who will make good room mates, rent a house or apartment or whatever and get outta there! Otherwise, you are going to continue to suffer their abuse.

I would help ya! But since you are mentioning france and stuff, I am guessing you are not from the states. So, unless ya wanna move to Southern Oregon. I got nuttin for ya except any advice that might somehow end up good, and a peep to talk too!

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
13-03-2015, 06:48 PM
13-03-2015, 06:49 PM
(13-03-2015 06:17 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  

If it is as bad as you say it is, than gtfo when you turn 18. I am not saying this is good advice or the best advice. But, as you are leaving out the door. Just as you step in your car. Make sure you tell them that you want to say something to them just before you step in the car door and shut the door. Just say, I am an atheist. Shut the door, drive off and never speak to them again.

Abusive parents deserve to be cut off from your life. If they one day realize the mistakes they had made and want to make amends, then let them. Until then, you don't need them.

Just find yourself some good friends who will make good room mates, rent a house or apartment or whatever and get outta there! Otherwise, you are going to continue to suffer their abuse.

I would help ya! But since you are mentioning france and stuff, I am guessing you are not from the states. So, unless ya wanna move to Southern Oregon. I got nuttin for ya except any advice that might somehow end up good, and a peep to talk too!
Here here
13-03-2015, 10:03 PM
(13-03-2015 04:47 PM)popopixie Wrote:  
(13-03-2015 02:33 AM)A New Hope Wrote:  Cartman: Kyle you need to stop being such a chicken shit and stand up to your mother!, you need to smack her in the face and say that's enough of your shit you fucking bitch! Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And they arent true christians the fact that they are abusive, self righteous, and judgemental shows that.)

Um, there is no real need for name calling here. I have attempted to stand up to my parents time and time again, and it only ever leads to worse abuse. Also, what makes you think it is just my mother? Both of my parents participate in these horrible verbal assaults. Though I did find your phrasing entertaining.
(I'm also not sure what you mean by "real christians." The bible justifies all sorts of insanity, and certainly should not be used as a guide for anyone's life. Sure, Jesus may have said some things like, "Judge not, lest ye be judged," but Christians who believe at least in everything in the new testament will note that there is some pretty weird stuff in there. Everything from being gay being an abomination to that women should not be allowed to speak in Church (and arguably in general). All this to say that being a Christian - "true christian" or not - does not make you a good person.

He was quoting from a Southpark episode on tv.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
13-03-2015, 10:54 PM
(13-03-2015 10:03 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(13-03-2015 04:47 PM)popopixie Wrote:  Um, there is no real need for name calling here. I have attempted to stand up to my parents time and time again, and it only ever leads to worse abuse. Also, what makes you think it is just my mother? Both of my parents participate in these horrible verbal assaults. Though I did find your phrasing entertaining.

He was quoting from a Southpark episode on tv.
THANK YOU I was like..... I didnt mean to offend Undecided
14-03-2015, 12:05 AM
(13-03-2015 10:54 PM)A New Hope Wrote:  
(13-03-2015 10:03 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  He was quoting from a Southpark episode on tv.
THANK YOU I was like..... I didnt mean to offend Undecided

Hear hear

Sleepy