Dealing with religous people

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-04-2017, 12:48 AM
Dealing with religous people
I have an aunt who is only about 7 years older than me. She is my only living close relative on my mom's side (mom, grandma, grandpa and uncle are dead) and she is religious. I love her and enjoy our talks and visits but everything is about God and Jesus. It's so frustrating! If I have a problem she says "Just go to the Bible. God has the answers. All the answers you need are right in there."

It drives me bonkers that she believes in a book of fiction. She uses it as an answer to everything and it drives me crazy. I am too polite to counter her. She is in poor health, dirt poor and life is hard for her. Ironically, God has not helped her out of her very difficult situation. She has nothing. Her husband is in poor health as well. The Bible is all she has. In fact, she is an excellent example of why religion is so attractive to people.

I don't know how to handle it. Maybe I am handling it fine as is. Maybe I just need to get over it. If I recommended she go to YouTube and watch videos on evolution, she would be offended but her telling me to read the Bible is just fine. I would be viewed as 'attacking her views' but she attacks my views all the time and it is acceptable.
argh!!!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2017, 12:55 AM
RE: Dealing with religous people
That sounds difficult.

My advice would be to ask her not to talk about it with you. She's entitled to her beliefs, but not to force them on everyone else. It's hopefully not necessary to launch a counter to her points in order to reach a truce. Instead of even stating a contrary position, you could say you're "not interested" in that sort of thing. If that doesn't work, you can turn up the volume until she gets it.

If she literally can't stop herself talking about it with you, then that is incredibly disrespectful and you'd be entitled to counter it as much as you want, or to say you won't talk to her at all until she stops.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
08-04-2017, 01:13 AM
Thank you. I suppose I could try asking her to limit her advice to non-religious advice and see what happens.
Geez, I wish somebody would abolish religion. It makes the world a more difficult place than it would be.
[+] 2 users Like 47average's post
08-04-2017, 01:29 AM
That sounds like a good plan Smile Her reaction may give you an idea as to how to proceed.

My advice would be to try and remain calm and reasonable at all times, and to not be baited into snap responses.

Religion is the biggest pile of shit. I wouldn't want to force people to stop doing it, but I'd also love to see it go away right now. Education is key, in my opinion. It's happening, generation by generation, at least in the West. I'm passionate about keeping it from poking its nose in where it has no business, and discouraging indoctrination.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2017, 01:44 AM
Hi,

I caught one on the bus yesterday. He was so ..... smug. Confused

A.
08-04-2017, 08:19 AM
Maybe a subtle redirection is in order?

As in: "Hey, I guess we've talked a lot about religion lately, but what do you think about the "anti-vaxxers" campaign? It really pisses me off personally."

Something current and controversial.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
08-04-2017, 08:36 AM
(08-04-2017 12:48 AM)47average Wrote:  I have an aunt who is only about 7 years older than me. She is my only living close relative on my mom's side (mom, grandma, grandpa and uncle are dead) and she is religious. I love her and enjoy our talks and visits but everything is about God and Jesus. It's so frustrating! If I have a problem she says "Just go to the Bible. God has the answers. All the answers you need are right in there."

It drives me bonkers that she believes in a book of fiction. She uses it as an answer to everything and it drives me crazy. I am too polite to counter her. She is in poor health, dirt poor and life is hard for her. Ironically, God has not helped her out of her very difficult situation. She has nothing. Her husband is in poor health as well. The Bible is all she has. In fact, she is an excellent example of why religion is so attractive to people.

I don't know how to handle it. Maybe I am handling it fine as is. Maybe I just need to get over it. If I recommended she go to YouTube and watch videos on evolution, she would be offended but her telling me to read the Bible is just fine. I would be viewed as 'attacking her views' but she attacks my views all the time and it is acceptable.
argh!!!!

I'm in a similar situation with my Grandfather. He'll be 97 this month and is a devout believer. I've never had the heart to tell him I'm an Atheist since (other than my father) I've never respected a man more than him. He served in WWII for 4 years, was a self made businessman, and was married to my Grandmother for 54 years before she passed on. But every time I go visit him all he wants to talk about is "I wish the Lord would just take me in my sleep. I don't know why he keeps me around" First... I hate hearing shit like that and my gut reaction is to scream "THERE IS NO GOD!!!!" but I know better. It's too late in life for him to have any life changing events that would persuade him that there is no God and in reality, if it was brought up, would cause more stress than help in my opinion. So I just listen to him and keep my mouth shut.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
08-04-2017, 09:47 AM
One tactic I've seen, but never had the acting ability to pull off ---

"Out-Jesus" them.

This involves successfully pretending to be more radical of a whackadoodle than the person you want to shut up about the subject......

Try to imagine Westoboro Baptist Church joining the Branch Davidians..... ( that happy bunch in Jonestown Guyana.....)

About the time you tell them Jesus came to you last night and granted you special dispensations, that you're not allowed to divulge - they're likely to never talk to you about religion again. Or maybe anything else either...

Tongue

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-04-2017, 08:05 AM
I'm surrounded by people like this and sometimes I honestly think they don't have anything else in their lives of substance worth discussing. Their entire lives revolve around religion and their "personal relationship with God," so that's what they discuss. It's kind of sad, really.
[+] 1 user Likes phoenix31's post
13-04-2017, 08:45 AM
(13-04-2017 08:05 AM)phoenix31 Wrote:  I'm surrounded by people like this and sometimes I honestly think they don't have anything else in their lives of substance worth discussing. Their entire lives revolve around religion and their "personal relationship with God," so that's what they discuss. It's kind of sad, really.

Exactly why I surround myself with people that have a similar thought process as I do. Most of my friends are believers but are rational enough to have a rational discussion if one does arise (which is seldom). I don't exclude myself from people of belief I just pick and choose those who can see from a perspective outside of that belief system. I don't associate or discuss with someone that is so fundamentalist that they are either always trying to convert me or tell me I'm wrong. When I do have to deal with those types of people is usually when I will destroy them with their own religion, its origins, and why they believe in said religion is fucked up. For some reason doing that makes me feel good inside knowing that I know more about what they believe than they do. Generally because someone else told them that is what you are supposed to believe rather than actually looking into the history, origins, and where their specific religion could have been lifted from.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.