Dealing with the "You're not an atheist!" type

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Dealing with the "You're not an atheist!" type
I'm sure someone has encountered one of these before. The theist that comes at you ranting and raving about how you cannot possible be atheist.

I have one on my back on another forum because my signature has a RIP message to a forum member who was killed. His basic argument is that "Atheist" means "doesn't believe in anything" so the fact that I believe in honoring the dead much mean I'm an theist. At least thats what I gather between all the capital letters and the random irrelevant insults.

I've even quoted the word Atheist from many different online dictionaries but he remains convinced that I'm some sort of christian hypocrite.

Any way to deal with these guys? Ignoring didn't work and I don't like to block people because blocking usually means "I know you're right and I hate you for it"

so ya...

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2010, 03:39 PM
RE: Dealing with the "You're not an atheist!" type
I'd go with the response that has worked for people since the beginning of time, or at least since the mid-90s:

"Whatever".

It helps if you add an eye rolling emoticon.

Seriously, what do you care what this idiot thinks? He can't understand basic definitions so why do you expect him to understand any level of logical though?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
03-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Ouch, I know what you mean! I haven't been stalked as you are, so to speak, but I've been "assaulted" with Bible verses claiming that everyone really believes in God because he's self-evident, so I can't completely relate, but I sympathize.

I don't really know any advice to tell you from experience, so I apologize for the... kind of useless post, but I wanted to let you know I sympathize. <=P

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Always good to know you aint alone xD

Still... I may try the W/eva thing, sounds like a plan.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
03-09-2010, 04:09 PM
the best advice I can offer is "don't feed the trolls"
Or just tell him hes such an idiot it makes your head hurt, insult him on a personal level then stop replying

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
03-09-2010, 05:34 PM

My general response to morons is to ignore them. And I certainly don't like to engage in mudslinging with them - that takes you right down into the dirt on the same level with the trolls. If I respond in any way, it's with relatively calm, unprovocative language to try to maintain some civility. If that civility isn't reciprocated ... you're wastin' your time mixing it up with them.
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2010, 08:35 PM
I had a run-in with one of them (well, several, actually, but all but one came around in the end) on a Facebook forum. There really isn't any way to deal with it. Typically, the only people who believe that tripe are the ones who are so deeply entrenched in their idiocy that no one and nothing can do anything to change their minds. The only reason that I was able to get through to the rest is because they didn't really believe it; this guy had been the big boss of the forum and no one had challenged his ideas, so they accepted everything he said at face value.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner