Dear GOD I hate my "local" news!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-12-2016, 01:16 AM
Dear GOD I hate my "local" news!
This is just ONE example of many:

"The police said gas cylinders inside the van were ignited late on Wednesday night outside the organisation's headquarters in the suburb of Deakin, roughly 2.5 kilometres from Parliament House." link.

Since when do Canberrans need to be told that Deakin is a suburb, and what Canberran could possibly be confused as to its location?? Absolute trash!

Furthermore:

"I certainly hope the police are right but it just seems like too much of a coincidence that this van would find its way here in a very obscure location," [Lyle Shelton] told Fairfax Media.

Why not challenge that outrageous claim? It's in a business district that houses the Royal Australian Mint - and most other NPOs in Canberra besides Churches - since when is that "obscure"?

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aractus's post
22-12-2016, 01:43 AM
RE: Dear GOD I hate my "local" news!
(22-12-2016 01:16 AM)Aractus Wrote:  Since when do Canberrans need to be told that Deakin is a suburb, and what Canberran could possibly be confused as to its location?? Absolute trash!
Some writers get paid by the word. Drinking Beverage

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
22-12-2016, 02:06 AM
At work.

Um.... because even other Australians have no 'effing' clue about what goes on in Canberra?

Other than the sink hole that is parliament.

We obviously didn't bury it deep enough. The politicians are still managing to crawl out from under the hill. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
22-12-2016, 03:12 AM
(22-12-2016 02:06 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Um.... because even other Australians have no 'effing' clue about what goes on in Canberra?

Yeah but it's "Canberra Times" - it's meant to be written in Canberra for Canberrans. Almost no one outside of Canberra would buy their paper.

My Blog
22-12-2016, 03:16 AM
At work.

(O_o)

People actualy LIVE in Canberra?

Dafaq?

Tongue
22-12-2016, 03:53 AM
I ask that same question about the smog-storm we call Sydney.

My Blog
[+] 1 user Likes Aractus's post
22-12-2016, 04:49 AM
I live in a small American city. There's on average a murder every two weeks. There's big corruption in our schools, city council and local government, police force, business licenses, there's rampant nepotism and a seemingly impenetrable all-white old boy's network despite being 30% African-American. There's home invasions, arson, child abuse and on and on. But there's no investigative journalism what-so-ever. The "local" news is mostly clips of national stories, the weather, high school sports (where coaches and fans text in the scores) and wrapped up with a grandmother who donated a box crayons to a kindergarten.
22-12-2016, 05:10 AM
At work.

(22-12-2016 03:53 AM)Aractus Wrote:  I ask that same question about the smog-storm we call Sydney.

Oh, we do we DO try and bury our politicians as well. It's just that after a time they seem to spout afresh in Canberra!

Tongue
22-12-2016, 07:01 AM
Well, first of all, journalists are commonly trained to write without assuming that the reader will always be a local.

Second, even someone writing for a local paper in 2016 knows that there's a chance their story will make it to a news service or the internet, especially if it's a story with explosions in it.
22-12-2016, 08:42 AM
I love my local TV news and watch them daily, they are the cause of much merriment.

The best one was:

She says: "And for the rest of the news..." Stares ahead, rifles through paper, stares, face falls, she says: "There are no news".

Cracked me up. Almost daily I find a morsel of cheer in those news.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man