Dear Seth Andrews

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2016, 02:20 PM
Dear Seth Andrews
I've titled this post 'Dear Seth Andrews' although I know he probably won't see it. It's really a letter to the TTA community in general telling my story.
Although I was raised a Christian, my family weren't particularly religious. I went to a religious school until I was 13 and it was about this time that I stopped attending Church. It wasn't a big deal to my parents and religion was rarely talked about at home.
I still believed in God and prayed at night, but religion was a small part of my life. None of my friends were religious, we just never talked about it. The concept of atheism never came up either.
When I was 18 my life started to become more difficult. I moved to a new area to work and found it hard to make friends. I started drinking too much and became depressed.
By this time my interest in God had disappeared although I didn't call myself an atheist.
I just never really thought about religion at all. Over the next few years I struggled with problems, family members becoming ill, and loneliness.
I was a big fan of Heavy Metal and one day I clicked on a video on YouTube by a band called Stryper. I knew they were a Christian band but had never heard them and was curious. To my surprise I really liked them and I began listening to other Christian bands on YT. Although most of the bands were copies of 'Secular' bands, for example Saint=Judas Priest, X-Sinner=AC/DC, i enjoyed listening to them and I began to find the message in the music uplifting. It made me feel good.
Should I give God another chance? Maybe he is real. Dawkins could be wrong.
For a few months I delved deeper into religion. I watched videos of Christian apologists. Read Christian websites. Yeah, this has to be real. It's got to be!
One evening I was sat in front of my computer listening to Christian metal when it hit me like a hammer. WTF are you doing!!? This is all BS and you know it!!
For some reason I typed into Google 'Christian metal sucks' I soon found myself going through various websites including Yahoo Answers. It was here that i saw something that intrigued me. Somebody was talking about a podcast that exposed the falseness of Christian music.
I clicked on the link and downloaded the podcast. It was called Christian Music: Behind the Curtain. As I listened everything seemed to become clear to me. This is it! This guy is talking complete sense.
So, I subscribed to TTA podcast and a whole world was opened up to me. I started watching atheist videos on YT. At this stage the only atheist book I had read was The God Delusion. I read Seth Andrew's book about his deconversion from Christianity and many other atheist books.
At last I was free. My life is much better now. I have atheist friends as well as a few religious friends. So I would like to say thanks to Seth for starting me on this journey.
TTA is the best atheist podcast in my opinion followed closely by the excellent Dogma Debate.
To be honest, I'm not big into forums and my writing skills are not great, but this forum looks really good. I see it's also on Twitter. Maybe I might finally start an account thereConsider
If you have read this far, thanks! Hope it wasn't too boring.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like The Unbeliever's post
02-12-2016, 03:40 PM
RE: Dear Seth Andrews
Welcome to TTA!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Hi.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
02-12-2016, 03:58 PM
Welcome!
I think your post was not boring at all, and I think your writing is fine.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
02-12-2016, 08:29 PM
Hello! Big Grin
02-12-2016, 11:44 PM
Welcome Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
03-12-2016, 06:17 AM
G'day mate, and welcome. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.