Dear TTA Forum-goers from the USA, Can you help me?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Question Dear TTA Forum-goers from the USA, Can you help me?
Hi all!
This is my first thread/post here and right away I'm asking for help. How needy of me! :)
I don't really have any friends I could ask so I just figured this might be the right place to ask my question and signed up.

Well, here's the deal:
I'm studying at Helsinki University in Finland and I'm planning on being an exchange student in the US after my BS is done. Here's a list of the possible universities available for me to apply to:
  • The University of Georgia
  • University of Nebraska-Lincoln
  • Oklahoma State University
  • Virginia Tech
  • University of Idaho
  • Iowa State University
  • University of Kentucky
  • Louisiana State University
  • North Carolina State University
  • Clemson University
  • West Virginia University
  • University of Wyoming
Now the question;
I'm an atheist and I've been listening to a lot of skeptic/atheist podcasts lately and now I'm a bit scared! :D Do you think my atheism could become a problem during my stay in the US if I end up in a place that was very religious...? I'm not very good with conflict and/or debates and I'd like to avoid places that are somewhat hostile to free-thinkers. Do you think I should avoid any of the schools/places above because of this? Should I even be worried about this or have I just listened to too many atheist podcasts..?

Also if you have any recommendations about any of the schools or states, feel free to give them to me :)
Any information that could help me shorten the list is more than welcome :D

Thanks in advance! <3 Maybe I can even make some new friends before my trip! :)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2012, 04:49 PM
RE: Dear TTA Forum-goers from the USA, Can you help me?
Where'd that list come from? What's your field of study?

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
28-06-2012, 05:04 PM
(28-06-2012 11:04 AM)Puriri Wrote:  
    I'm not very good with conflict and/or debates and I'd like to avoid places that are somewhat hostile to free-thinkers. Do you think I should avoid any of the schools/places above because of this?
Nope, I think you should grab the opportunity of addressing your self-confessed weakness (sorry, I mean, area for further improvement) and buckle-up in the bible belt.
If they don't kill you, they will make you stronger.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
28-06-2012, 05:13 PM
(28-06-2012 11:04 AM)Puriri Wrote:  Hi all!
This is my first thread/post here and right away I'm asking for help. How needy of me! Smile
I don't really have any friends I could ask so I just figured this might be the right place to ask my question and signed up.

Well, here's the deal:
I'm studying at Helsinki University in Finland and I'm planning on being an exchange student in the US after my BS is done. Here's a list of the possible universities available for me to apply to:
  • Virginia Tech
  • University of Idaho
  • Iowa State University
  • University of Kentucky
  • Clemson University
  • University of Wyoming
Now the question;
I'm an atheist and I've been listening to a lot of skeptic/atheist podcasts lately and now I'm a bit scared! Big Grin Do you think my atheism could become a problem during my stay in the US if I end up in a place that was very religious...? I'm not very good with conflict and/or debates and I'd like to avoid places that are somewhat hostile to free-thinkers. Do you think I should avoid any of the schools/places above because of this? Should I even be worried about this or have I just listened to too many atheist podcasts..?

Also if you have any recommendations about any of the schools or states, feel free to give them to me Smile
Any information that could help me shorten the list is more than welcome Big Grin

Thanks in advance! <3 Maybe I can even make some new friends before my trip! Smile
Your best bet is University of Wyoming - it's not in the Bible Belt. Can you explain the list?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-06-2012, 05:18 PM
The benefit for you is the majority of major public universities are growing to be more liberal/less religious. Even major schools in some conservative states are now having their own Freethinker/atheist groups.

Out of those you listed, I know nothing about individually. Most of those are in more religious heavy states but the pulse of a particular city/university area can be much more open.

Wyoming is still mostly conservative and religious. Just because it is not in the bible belt does not make it safe from religious overbearing. I'm not sure about the atmosphere of the University itself but I know many cities in the area are still hardline conservative. I bet they have at least a secular student group.

Oklahoma State may be more open. They are right by Tulsa were just last week the 2nd Oklahoma Free Thought convention took place.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
28-06-2012, 05:42 PM
It's so pathetic that this question even arises. Would any US student be worried about this going to study in Europe ?

You should pick the school based on the best you can get into, which is best in your field. In the US, the actual university campuses in public institutions are very open, and easy going, and very much like what you are used to. There will be occasional attempts to get you to join the Jeebus people, which you can decline, with no consequences, and basically students are given a "pass", and it's assumed you are not "affiliated" yet, or 'searching". People are busy with their fields of focus, and not religion. If you are off-campus, depending where you are, you might be a little "careful", in certain rare circumstances, but for example the University of Georgia is well known for it's genetics research, and very liberal, and Dr. Bart Ehrman, the well known Agnostic scripture scholar teaches in North Carolina. I found atheism rampant in the Divinity School. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 4 users Like Bucky Ball's post
28-06-2012, 07:09 PM
(28-06-2012 05:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-06-2012 11:04 AM)Puriri Wrote:  Hi all!
This is my first thread/post here and right away I'm asking for help. How needy of me! Smile

Well, here's the deal:
  • Virginia Tech
  • University of Idaho
  • Iowa State University
  • University of Kentucky
  • Clemson University
  • University of Wyoming
Now the question;
I'm an atheist and I've been listening to a lot of skeptic/atheist podcasts lately and now I'm a bit scared! Big Grin Do you think my atheism could become a problem during my stay in the US if I end up in a place that was very religious...? I'm not very good with conflict and/or debates and I'd like to avoid places that are somewhat hostile to free-thinkers. Do you think I should avoid any of the schools/places above because of this? Should I even be worried about this or have I just listened to too many atheist podcasts..?

Also if you have any recommendations about any of the schools or states, feel free to give them to me Smile
Any information that could help me shorten the list is more than welcome Big Grin

Thanks in advance! <3 Maybe I can even make some new friends before my trip! Smile
Your best bet is University of Wyoming - it's not in the Bible Belt. Can you explain the list?
Dude, this is a surprise to me that there is even a University in Wyoming. Don't tell her to go there. It may not be religious, but unless you want to learn how to be in a Rodeo, don't put Wyoming on your list. Dodgy

As others have said, your list is made up of public schools so religion is mandated to be kept separate. There will be Christian student groups that want to enlist you, but unless they offer free food, forget it.

As far as areas of the country, the two northern corners of the US are the least religious, both in the Northeast: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, etc, and in the Northwest, Oregon and Washington. You have Idaho on your list. That state is heavy with Mormonism, Neo-Nazis, and Survivalist Militias. Oh, and potatoes.

But in general, you need to pick the school that has the best program for your interests. Yes, the US is well-known for it's rampant religion, but it's not like you're going to be significantly bothered by it even if you end up in the Bible-Belt.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
28-06-2012, 09:54 PM
As a recent transplant to the US, I don't know about any of those schools but I do know that I haven't been asked about my beliefs once. This is despite living in Tennessee, surrounded by in-laws who are super-Baptist. If one day I am asked, I can choose to answer honestly, lie, or tell them it's not their business. If I answer honestly, and they want to debate, I can choose to engage or not, as I see fit. The point is, don't let your discomfort with the idea of debating inform your choice of schools. Choose the best school you can. Nobody can force you to debate with them.

Is there the possibility of some culture shock and clashes? Sure. I roll my eyes when anyone tacks 'Lord willing' onto every plan they make. I have no real doubt my mother-in-law is disappointed every time I decline to join her at church. Sometimes it can seem overwhelming, to someone who couldn't even tell you what most of the people she knew back home believed in. (Except for the nun. She's pretty obvious.) But one day you're feeling crowded in, surrounded by more churches than shops. The next, you're driving along and see an atheist-A and a Darwin fish on the back of the car ahead of you.
[+] 3 users Like Katherine's post
28-06-2012, 10:15 PM
(28-06-2012 09:54 PM)Katherine Wrote:  The next, you're driving along and see an atheist-A and a Darwin fish on the back of the car ahead of you.

Agree. Atlanta is also a good example. Every other block downtown, literally, is a huge fundie church. But actually the city is a huge business center, and very diverse. Those schools are wild. Ahem.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-06-2012, 12:04 AM
(28-06-2012 04:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Where'd that list come from? What's your field of study?
Yes, I think my field of study might help to explain the list :D
I study Agricultural Sciences with an interest in Entomology.
So this is the "short list" I made from the ones my university gave me. (There are three different exchange programs with different lists: University to university, ISEP and MAUI.)
So the schools in my list teach entomology. (Or at least to my knowledge.)