Dear TTA Forum-goers from the USA, Can you help me?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2012, 12:09 AM
RE: Dear TTA Forum-goers from the USA, Can you help me?
In another lifetime ago, I used to live near this University. They were allegedly renown for their love for the bug.

http://entomology.ucr.edu/

But the question is, are they on your lists. Southern California is warm and sunny and near the beaches so you can pick up on surfer boys like Bucky. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2012, 04:16 AM
(29-06-2012 12:09 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  In another lifetime ago, I used to live near this University. They were allegedly renown for their love for the bug.

http://entomology.ucr.edu/

But the question is, are they on your lists. Southern California is warm and sunny and near the beaches so you can pick up on surfer boys like Bucky. Big Grin

Oh, that one sounds great, but I checked - not on any of the lists Sad Unfortunately that means it would be harder and more expensive to try to get in. :/ But thanks for the tip anyway Smile
[+] 1 user Likes Puriri's post
29-06-2012, 04:30 AM
(29-06-2012 12:04 AM)Puriri Wrote:  ... an interest in Entomology.

Cool. I am also interested in the origins of words.

I don't see the connection to agriculture though.

29-06-2012, 04:35 AM
(28-06-2012 07:09 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  But in general, you need to pick the school that has the best program for your interests. Yes, the US is well-known for it's rampant religion, but it's not like you're going to be significantly bothered by it even if you end up in the Bible-Belt.

Hm, that's kinda what I was hoping to hear. And seems also many other replies echo the same thing - choose what's best for the educational point of view and don't worry too much about the overly religious folks.

Hopefully once I'm there I'll make friends quickly with people who don't care about my beliefs. :)
Thanks for the quick replies everyone and I'm still welcoming more if somebody has something to add!

Organizing the list to my liking is my next big task.. Gosh this is a lot of work already and I haven't even applied yet :D
[+] 1 user Likes Puriri's post
29-06-2012, 04:55 AM
(29-06-2012 04:30 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-06-2012 12:04 AM)Puriri Wrote:  ... an interest in Entomology.

Cool. I am also interested in the origins of words.

Oh, you must mean Etymology? :)
Entomology is the study of insects. In the agricultural sense it means something like knowing about their biology and ecology to try and make the pests less harmful and the beneficials more beneficial for our crops (and us).
29-06-2012, 05:23 AM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2012 05:30 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(29-06-2012 04:55 AM)Puriri Wrote:  Entomology is the study of insects. In the agricultural sense it means something like knowing about their biology and ecology to try and make the pests less harmful and the beneficials more beneficial for our crops (and us).

Not sure how they made their "list". There are some other seriously excellent universities in both Agriculture and Entomology that are missing from your list, ... ie The U of Wisconsin, and the University of Minnesota, and maybe North and South Dakota have world famous Ag programs, and huge bug science departments. The religion thing should not even enter your decision at all .. go with what you want to study exactly, and maybe even the next step. Are you planning to work in the US in the field, or go back home ? You can get internships or job opportunities in some big Ag companies if you pick the right location. Or if you plan to remain in academics, that might not be so important.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
29-06-2012, 05:33 AM
(29-06-2012 04:55 AM)Puriri Wrote:  
(29-06-2012 04:30 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Cool. I am also interested in the origins of words.

Oh, you must mean Etymology? Smile
Entomology is the study of insects. In the agricultural sense it means something like knowing about their biology and ecology to try and make the pests less harmful and the beneficials more beneficial for our crops (and us).
Y'see, what I did there... it was irony!
Don't worry, you won't need to use any of that if you are going to the US of A. Drinking Beverage

29-06-2012, 06:54 AM
(29-06-2012 05:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Y'see, what I did there... it was irony!
Don't worry, you won't need to use any of that if you are going to the US of A.

Hah, I thought it might be but I wasn't really sure... I also forgot to mention that I'm really bad at writing on forums. I misunderstand things all the time :) ..So I don't write on forums usually at all.
(I was cooking at the time too so it might have had an effect on my judgement :D Sorry!)

[+] 3 users Like Puriri's post
29-06-2012, 07:06 AM
No need to apologise... I thank you. I've been waiting 20 years to spontaneously use that joke.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-06-2012, 08:36 AM
(29-06-2012 05:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Not sure how they made their "list". There are some other seriously excellent universities in both Agriculture and Entomology that are missing from your list, ... ie The U of Wisconsin, and the University of Minnesota, and maybe North and South Dakota have world famous Ag programs, and huge bug science departments. The religion thing should not even enter your decision at all .. go with what you want to study exactly, and maybe even the next step. Are you planning to work in the US in the field, or go back home ? You can get internships or job opportunities in some big Ag companies if you pick the right location. Or if you plan to remain in academics, that might not be so important.
Yeah, the universities given to me as options aren't neccessarily the best ones for my field of study, I know. This is because the universities listed are not just for my faculty, but for the entire University of Helsinki.. That's why the options are somewhat limited :( Sucks for me, but I need to work with what they give me :/

I don't know yet if I'm going to try some sort of internship too. I'm not quite sure how to integrate that with the studies etc. (I'm really interested in biological control and integrated pest management field studies, though..)