Dear TTA Forum-goers from the USA, Can you help me?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2012, 09:19 AM
RE: Dear TTA Forum-goers from the USA, Can you help me?
(28-06-2012 11:04 AM)Puriri Wrote:  Now the question;
I'm an atheist and I've been listening to a lot of skeptic/atheist podcasts lately and now I'm a bit scared! Big Grin Do you think my atheism could become a problem during my stay in the US if I end up in a place that was very religious...? I'm not very good with conflict and/or debates and I'd like to avoid places that are somewhat hostile to free-thinkers. Do you think I should avoid any of the schools/places above because of this? Should I even be worried about this or have I just listened to too many atheist podcasts..?

At colleges and universities there tends to be a higher concentration of people that are intelligent or have a desire not to be totally ignorant, so I don't think you'd have much of a problem. Honestly a lot of people don't even really talk about religion very much, so if you don't open every conversation with, "Guess what? I'm an atheist!" then most people wouldn't really take issue with it. Smile

Another thing worth noting is that American liberals would easily be considered conservatives in Europe... and European liberals would easily be considered criminals in the U.S. Wink It's a sad state of affairs, but that's the way things are. The U.S. is still way behind the times.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2012, 10:19 AM
(29-06-2012 07:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  No need to apologise... I thank you. I've been waiting 20 years to spontaneously use that joke.
And so you decide to pull it out to pick on the woman from Finland...for whom English is probably her second language. Way to go DLJ. Don't you feel like a real jerk now?

Tongue

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
29-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Puriri, since your interest is in bugs, you ought to concentrate on the schools in the South...they have some badass bugs creeping around down there!

[Image: Palmetto_Bug.JPG]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
29-06-2012, 10:30 AM
(29-06-2012 10:23 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Puriri, since your interest is in bugs, you ought to concentrate on the schools in the South...they have some badass bugs creeping around down there!

Yet another reason I don't live in the south.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-06-2012, 10:33 AM
(29-06-2012 10:19 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(29-06-2012 07:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  No need to apologise... I thank you. I've been waiting 20 years to spontaneously use that joke.
And so you decide to pull it out to pick on the woman from Finland...for whom English is probably her second language. Way to go DLJ. Don't you feel like a real jerk now?

:p
Oh, no worries :) We're cool, right DLJ? ;)

[+] 1 user Likes Puriri's post
29-06-2012, 10:38 AM
(29-06-2012 10:23 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Puriri, since your interest is in bugs, you ought to concentrate on the schools in the South...they have some badass bugs creeping around down there!
Nice Big Grin Thanks for the tip! Big bugs are awesome Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Puriri's post
29-06-2012, 10:41 AM
(29-06-2012 10:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Yet another reason I don't live in the south.
Agreed. Thumbsup

~Izel
29-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Hello Puriri - Sounds like you are gearing up for your big USA experience - it will be great. No matter what you've heard, Americans are often quite accommodating, especially with visiting internationals. The belief stuff; some people just don't have anything better to do than bitch about stupid crap. You'll probably be so busy just seeing all there is to see, that you might not even have time to get to know only a handful of the local crowd.

Like the others have advised, don't worry about the religious thing, concentrate on the quality of education... and oddly, I suggest also the weather. Bugs, crops, and weather - they kind of all work together, so I suggest putting yourself where you will get the greatest variety of each... possibly a more temperate zone - Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Ohio, Wisconsin, South Dakota... all somewhat centrally located states, providing numerous weather, crop, and bug varieties. And believe me, all those states have great Ag universities, many with international outreach programs.

Besides getting to know Americans, you'll want to see the country -it's a lot bigger than one might think. Things are really spread out; in some states, one can drive for several hours without seeing any man made structure or planted cropland. It's beautiful, really... I'm probably biased. No doubt, the only thing that keeps me living in the US is the land itself. Wherever you go in the US, I know you'll enjoy the landscapes.

Stay in touch, and let us know how things go...

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
29-06-2012, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2012 03:24 PM by GirlyMan.)
oops, double post.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
29-06-2012, 03:21 PM
(29-06-2012 12:04 AM)Puriri Wrote:  
(28-06-2012 04:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Where'd that list come from? What's your field of study?
Yes, I think my field of study might help to explain the list Big Grin
I study Agricultural Sciences with an interest in Entomology.
So this is the "short list" I made from the ones my university gave me. (There are three different exchange programs with different lists: University to university, ISEP and MAUI.)
So the schools in my list teach entomology. (Or at least to my knowledge.)

Why no love for my alma mater University of Maryland at College Park? Only schools ranked higher on your list for Entomology are Georgia and Kentucky.

There is still plenty of religion around these parts, but it's very diverse. I live about 3 miles from College Park and there are 5 "churches" within walking distance of my house: a Buddhist temple, a Hindu temple, 2 Unitarian Universalist Churches, and a Baptist Church.

(29-06-2012 05:33 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-06-2012 04:55 AM)Puriri Wrote:  Oh, you must mean Etymology? Smile
Entomology is the study of insects. In the agricultural sense it means something like knowing about their biology and ecology to try and make the pests less harmful and the beneficials more beneficial for our crops (and us).
Y'see, what I did there... it was irony!
Don't worry, you won't need to use any of that if you are going to the US of A. Drinking Beverage

It's usually not funny if you have to explain it. But in this case it was, but only because Puriri don't yet know DLJ.

(29-06-2012 10:33 AM)Puriri Wrote:  
(29-06-2012 10:19 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  And so you decide to pull it out to pick on the woman from Finland...for whom English is probably her second language. Way to go DLJ. Don't you feel like a real jerk now?

Tongue
Oh, no worries Smile We're cool, right DLJ? Wink

For God's sake Puriri, don't encourage the lascivious fucker. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post