Dear TTA Forum-goers from the USA, Can you help me?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2012, 05:54 PM
RE: Dear TTA Forum-goers from the USA, Can you help me?
(29-06-2012 10:33 AM)Puriri Wrote:  
(29-06-2012 10:19 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  And so you decide to pull it out to pick on the woman from Finland...for whom English is probably her second language. Way to go DLJ. Don't you feel like a real jerk now?

Tongue
Oh, no worries Smile We're cool, right DLJ? Wink
Hehehe, of course we are Smile
(But Erx will be going to hell!)
Judging by the more serious replies you have received, I think you won't have to worry about religious persecution. Just enjoy the experience and focus on bugging the Yanks and sowing the seeds of atheism. I wish you well whichever you choose.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-06-2012, 10:57 PM
If we had Agriculture at my school, I would suggest it. There are many more Christians here than Atheists, but they're a lot more open minded.

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
02-07-2012, 03:11 PM
I've lived in Baton Rouge, Louisiana my whole life (Louisiana State University). While we're in the Bible Belt, you're not going to face any prejudice because of your atheism in Baton Rouge.

You will be asked to go to church, though. Just tell them "no thanks". If they ask why, just let them know you're an atheist. They'll probably just shrug their shoulders and be on their way and/or ask you more about what you believe.

That will probably be the most action you'll see.

I'm thinking, though, you'll get a free pass in most things considering you're a foreigner.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-07-2012, 11:26 PM
OMG don't get scared your atheism won't be a problem in the U.S. The podcasts are misleading you if they're actually making you scared like that. This is the most diverse country in the world for a reason and unless you go into rural church in MS ranting about how stupid God is you won't have many problems. Of course there are haters everywhere but in educational institutions you'll find MUCH more hate and disdain for religion than non-religion.

You've listening to too many atheist podcasts. Try balancing yourself out... listen to this guy named "Glenn Beck" for a bit.
(28-06-2012 11:04 AM)Puriri Wrote:  Hi all!
This is my first thread/post here and right away I'm asking for help. How needy of me! Smile
I don't really have any friends I could ask so I just figured this might be the right place to ask my question and signed up.

Well, here's the deal:
I'm studying at Helsinki University in Finland and I'm planning on being an exchange student in the US after my BS is done. Here's a list of the possible universities available for me to apply to:
  • The University of Georgia
  • University of Nebraska-Lincoln
  • Oklahoma State University
  • Virginia Tech
  • University of Idaho
  • Iowa State University
  • University of Kentucky
  • Louisiana State University
  • North Carolina State University
  • Clemson University
  • West Virginia University
  • University of Wyoming
Now the question;
I'm an atheist and I've been listening to a lot of skeptic/atheist podcasts lately and now I'm a bit scared! Big Grin Do you think my atheism could become a problem during my stay in the US if I end up in a place that was very religious...? I'm not very good with conflict and/or debates and I'd like to avoid places that are somewhat hostile to free-thinkers. Do you think I should avoid any of the schools/places above because of this? Should I even be worried about this or have I just listened to too many atheist podcasts..?

Also if you have any recommendations about any of the schools or states, feel free to give them to me Smile
Any information that could help me shorten the list is more than welcome Big Grin

Thanks in advance! <3 Maybe I can even make some new friends before my trip! Smile

"'Tis the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it." - Aristotle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBPqksG9nbA
13-07-2012, 12:57 AM
(02-07-2012 03:11 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I've lived in Baton Rouge, Louisiana my whole life (Louisiana State University). While we're in the Bible Belt, you're not going to face any prejudice because of your atheism in Baton Rouge.
---
I'm thinking, though, you'll get a free pass in most things considering you're a foreigner.

That's good to hear, thanks! Ooh, and there's also "Integrated Agricultural Pest Management" taught there, nice Smile

"Science is the poetry of reality." - Richard Dawkins
13-07-2012, 01:12 AM
(10-07-2012 11:26 PM)StAlesiterCrowley Wrote:  OMG don't get scared your atheism won't be a problem in the U.S. The podcasts are misleading you if they're actually making you scared like that. This is the most diverse country in the world for a reason and unless you go into rural church in MS ranting about how stupid God is you won't have many problems. Of course there are haters everywhere but in educational institutions you'll find MUCH more hate and disdain for religion than non-religion.

You've listening to too many atheist podcasts. Try balancing yourself out... listen to this guy named "Glenn Beck" for a bit.

Ok, thanks for the advice! But Glenn Beck, eh? Are you sure he won't make me more afraid? Big Grin

"Science is the poetry of reality." - Richard Dawkins
[+] 1 user Likes Puriri's post