Dear Taxpayer....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2017, 06:54 PM
Dear Taxpayer....
Came home and found a letter from the IRS in the mail. That's just never good. So, I open it up and they sent me a bill for $1,596 and claim that I underrepresented my 2015 income on my 2016 tax return.

Da fuq?

So, reading more, it turns out that TD Waterhouse reported to the IRS that I sold a bunch of stock that I never bought, never owned, never fucking heard of, and certainly did not sell back in 2015 for around $5,500.

Wonderful. Like I have time to deal with this. Ugh.

I can't deal with this tomorrow so I guess I need to start calling TDW and asking whatdafuq come Monday morning.

Weeping

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
30-03-2017, 08:15 PM
RE: Dear Taxpayer....
I did 33 years with the IRS and while Identity Theft was not a big problem while I was there it is a big problem now. By all means ask TD Waterhouse for records of when you supposedly sold the stock but also for the purchase order, whenever that may have been. Someone could have gotten your social security number.

Without any other data the IRS will simply assume that the sale price is the gain. It is up to the seller to provide the cost basis of the asset and thereby subtract one from the other and determine gain or loss.

Whatever you do, reply to the IRS in writing prior to the expiration date of the notice and state that you never owned such a stock and you in the process of seeking data from the broker and that you contest the claim. Understand that right now you are dealing with a computer.

When you get any documentation back from TD Waterhouse - if it makes no sense to you - write back asking that your case be assigned to an agent or auditor in your local office. Keep copies of all correspondence. They are so understaffed right now they may not even bother but you can't count on that.

Good luck.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 6 users Like Minimalist's post
30-03-2017, 08:53 PM
Also ask TDW for cusip numbers of the stocks, supposed dates of purchase and sale, acquisition price, sales price & copies of all statements for the year.

You should have the monthly statements in your possession already, use these as evidence that you never owned the stocks.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
30-03-2017, 10:06 PM
Thanks, appreciate the input. Sincerely.

I'll call TD on Monday. I'm sure it's a data entry problem. And, I plan to respond to the IRS in writing well before the due date.

I'm sure I can clear this up, but it's just a hassle I don't have time for.

[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
31-03-2017, 08:41 AM
(30-03-2017 10:06 PM)BnW Wrote:  Thanks, appreciate the input. Sincerely.

I'll call TD on Monday. I'm sure it's a data entry problem. And, I plan to respond to the IRS in writing well before the due date.

I'm sure I can clear this up, but it's just a hassle I don't have time for.

Have you called the IRS yet? Call the IRS just to give them a heads up that you don't owe the money. At least that's what I did when some idiot life insurance company claimed to forgive a loan against a universal life policy I never took out (yup, forgiven debts are counted as income by the IRS). They'll make a note in your case that you are disputing the charge. I prevailed but it made me anxious.

#sigh
01-04-2017, 07:54 AM
No, not yet. Got the letter Thursday night and was swamped at work yesterday. I took Monday off for The Holiday so will make calls first thing in the morning.

01-04-2017, 08:01 AM
The IRS is on a roll...I got a letter saying they received my tax return and want to make sure it's really mine. IRS stuff usually comes to both of us (husband and me). And no, I haven't filed this year yet. This only came to me and they didn't use my legal name. FLUCK! At least I can get on a hotline through the tax accountants at work and maybe not be on hold for hours.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
01-04-2017, 08:10 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 08:14 AM by Dom.)
I had the California tax folks go into one of my bank accounts (I live in Oregon) and empty it. Just took the money, no notification, nothing.

Upon pursuing the matter, it turns out that 24 years ago, we sold a house in CA to move here. The bank who held the loan went out of business at that time and accounts were taken over by another bank. Our name was carried forth as owner, along with the buyer, who continued to pay his mortgage. Neither he nor we knew that we were still on record for the loan.

Along come the CA tax people - based on this they decide that hubby had been living in CA and not paying income taxes for all those years and hence they had a right to take all my money (hubby was dead by then).

Took me a month to clear it up with them, and 4 months for them to return my money.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
01-04-2017, 09:49 AM
My story is a bit different but involved a governmental agency. When I was living in Washington state I received a letter from San Francisco stating there was a warrant out for my arrest for not paying a parking ticket in San Francisco.

The parking ticket was issued against a car I'd never owned at a time when I was about 2000 miles away (going to school with the AF). Now the license plate was one I'd had years before on a different car I had traded in on a Porsche.

I wrote an extremely nasty letter explaining the situation with a note that I expected an apology from them. I never heard back from them, not that I really expected one.

Nor did I get another citation. Case closed.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
09-04-2017, 11:13 AM
So, it turns out that the IRS didn't fuck up. That's the bad news. A stock I had bought in the late 1990s, and I thought had gone bankrupt, actually was sitting as a penny stock for years. In 2016 there was first a merger and then an acquisition (not to be confused with an Inquisition) and as part of the acquisition my shares were force sold and I had a taxable transaction. I had no idea any of this happened, was never looking for the 1099G from TDA, and either never got it or, more likely, just didn't notice it when it came in and threw it out. So, the IRS is correct and I do owe them money.

The good news is that I have a whole bunch of cash sitting in an account that I was completely unaware of, and I can use that to pay off the taxes .. and then some. It's not a huge amount but, even after I pay the taxes, it's a couple of thousand dollars windfall.

So, I went from Blink to Weeping to Laugh out load

Go figure.

[+] 5 users Like BnW's post