Dear Taxpayer....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2017, 11:21 AM
RE: Dear Taxpayer....
(01-04-2017 08:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  I had the California tax folks go into one of my bank accounts (I live in Oregon) and empty it. Just took the money, no notification, nothing.

Upon pursuing the matter, it turns out that 24 years ago, we sold a house in CA to move here. The bank who held the loan went out of business at that time and accounts were taken over by another bank. Our name was carried forth as owner, along with the buyer, who continued to pay his mortgage. Neither he nor we knew that we were still on record for the loan.

Along come the CA tax people - based on this they decide that hubby had been living in CA and not paying income taxes for all those years and hence they had a right to take all my money (hubby was dead by then).

Took me a month to clear it up with them, and 4 months for them to return my money.

Wait. At closing all outstanding liens against the property have to be satisfied...I don’t understand.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2017, 11:22 AM
(09-04-2017 11:13 AM)BnW Wrote:  So, it turns out that the IRS didn't fuck up. That's the bad news. A stock I had bought in the late 1990s, and I thought had gone bankrupt, actually was sitting as a penny stock for years. In 2016 there was first a merger and then an acquisition (not to be confused with an Inquisition) and as part of the acquisition my shares were force sold and I had a taxable transaction. I had no idea any of this happened, was never looking for the 1099G from TDA, and either never got it or, more likely, just didn't notice it when it came in and threw it out. So, the IRS is correct and I do owe them money.

The good news is that I have a whole bunch of cash sitting in an account that I was completely unaware of, and I can use that to pay off the taxes .. and then some. It's not a huge amount but, even after I pay the taxes, it's a couple of thousand dollars windfall.

So, I went from Blink to Weeping to Laugh out load

Go figure.
Bowing It's a miracle...an Easter miracle!

No one gets 'good' news from the IRS.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
09-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Well, it wasn't good news from the IRS but they tipped me off to good news. I had no idea I had this money. None.

This actually worked out really well as I've had a few big ticket items come up recently and now I've got a much easier way of paying them off. It's funny, because I am never lucky like this. I'm not really unlucky, things don't generally go wrong for me. But, I'm generally not the guy who accidentally discovers he has $2,000 or so to pay off some recent incurred debts either.

Funny how things work out.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
09-04-2017, 11:56 AM
(09-04-2017 11:13 AM)BnW Wrote:  So, it turns out that the IRS didn't fuck up. That's the bad news. A stock I had bought in the late 1990s, and I thought had gone bankrupt, actually was sitting as a penny stock for years. In 2016 there was first a merger and then an acquisition (not to be confused with an Inquisition) and as part of the acquisition my shares were force sold and I had a taxable transaction. I had no idea any of this happened, was never looking for the 1099G from TDA, and either never got it or, more likely, just didn't notice it when it came in and threw it out. So, the IRS is correct and I do owe them money.

The good news is that I have a whole bunch of cash sitting in an account that I was completely unaware of, and I can use that to pay off the taxes .. and then some. It's not a huge amount but, even after I pay the taxes, it's a couple of thousand dollars windfall.

Go figure.

Sweet!
09-04-2017, 02:16 PM
(09-04-2017 11:22 AM)Anjele Wrote:  

Go figure.
Bowing It's a miracle...an Easter miracle!

No one gets 'good' news from the IRS.

I get a pension check every month. Makes me happy that I'm no longer there.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
09-04-2017, 02:40 PM
(31-03-2017 08:41 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  (yup, forgiven debts are counted as income by the IRS). They'll make a note in your case that you are disputing the charge. I prevailed but it made me anxious.
Uhm ...

Just recently the government forgave all of my student loan debt due to disability.

Wha ... does that mean the IRS is going to kick down my door to collect taxes on around $70,000?

I'll never be able to pay that. Ever. Even if they garnished me, I could live two lifetimes, most likely, on what I get and still not pay off a debt like that.

And it's not like you live high on the hog collecting Disability payouts. Trust me. If you're disabled, you have to suffer in order to dissuade able-bodied people from wanting to be on the program. Isn't this shitty country great? Worst place in the world (aside from some Third World cesspool) in which to get sick.

"If my God exists, then the laws in the Bible should apply to everyone. I am certain my God exists, so ..." -- words of a theocratic fascist justifying theocratic fascism.
[+] 1 user Likes Shirina's post