Dear you immoral heathens, sinners, hellbound god-haters

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2012, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 10:34 AM by kingschosen.)
Dear you immoral heathens, sinners, hellbound god-haters
Thank you. Thank you for being tolerant, understanding, accepting, and willing to discuss differing beliefs calmly, bluntly, and without emotion. Thank you for your open-mindedness, and your ability to view, agree, or disagree with a point of view without vilifying the actual person. All of you are pillars of “Christian” acceptance and tolerance; I only wish real Christians would follow your lead.

Now… for my rant…

I go to a traditional Southern Baptist church (Arminian-YEC-dispensationalist). Over the past couple of years, it has come to the attention of some of my peers that I do not subscribe to their deep traditionally rooted beliefs. Naturally, people become curious and begin to ask me questions. By now, I’m sure you understand my inability to shy away or sugarcoat answers; so, I answer them. The response to my answering is typical (they get really, really angry), and it turns into them getting mad at me and telling me I’m wrong and not to talk to them again.

It happened again earlier this week. This is the third or fourth time this has happened at this church. Now, keep in mind, I was APPROACHED; I was ASKED. I don’t go throwing my theological beliefs around a Southern Baptist church arbitrarily because I know the dissention it can cause.

A member asked me about election. I showed this member what the Bible said. This person got mad at me for showing them scripture. The person said that I’m wrong because this person doesn’t believe that God would do that. I told this person it doesn’t matter what you believe because scripture says what it says. The person then asserted that we should do mediation with the pastor. I refused. I told this person that mediation is not needed since mediation is only commanded in the Bible when you have an issue with another member.

I then told this person that it wasn’t me that was the problem; it was a system of belief and that this person should seek council from the pastor about this system of belief. I also told this person that the pastor believes as you believe and that you are only looking for validation for your belief and dissolution for mine. The person called me closed-minded and told me to never speak to them again.

And, this behavior isn’t atypical… I’ve seen it a lot. No wonder why Christians are so hated. You guys want to know the truth? I’ve had more spiritual growth in the past 2 months from you guys than I’ve had in the past 2 years from my Christian friends. It’s a strange state of affairs that atheists are more accepting of me than Christians.

So, again… thank you.

-Jeremy aka KC

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 33 users Like kingschosen's post
26-01-2012, 08:51 AM
RE: Dear you amoral heathens, sinners, hellbound god-haters
That's what you get for going to church =p

That's the truth of religion. No two religious people hold the same views, most tend to simply reply with their pastor's views so as to not stir the pot. You're safer talking to someone who has no strong opinion about your religion than you are talking to someone who supposedly shares your beliefs. There's a reason those books have been scoured over so roughly. Now when you're talking baptists, most (from my experiences) have never read one entire book from the bible. their only experiences reading the bible have to do with the pastor telling them to turn to a page. That's the wonderful thing about people so certain in their beliefs. They are so certain that they don't even need to validate that their beliefs are good. they can just know it ~_^

Glad you're enjoying your time here in the land of thinking and questioning.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 6 users Like Lilith Pride's post
26-01-2012, 09:20 AM
Trust me KC your dealing with one church. Try being a minister or youth leader for years and then realizing that you have been teaching something to kids in multiple congregations.

Bring that one up with a group of churchgoers when you step down and see how much they yell.

I can relate to some degree about how accepting Christians can be when you have a difference of opinion as a member of the church.

So I guess your welcome.
26-01-2012, 10:07 AM

Jeremy (KC) i feel for you brother.

The Southern Baptist Machine is a monster. Its the gang that Demonized Rock records in the 1980's, boycotted Disney originally for Occult references, Boycotted Procter and Gamble for their logo, and EVEN in the 1980's boycotted Stryper due to them being the 'gateway' drug to harder rock bands. I shit you not.
There was ALL KINDS of mischif done in the name of Southern Baptistry. NASA's involvement in the Occult..you name it.

Based on what we are LEARNING about you, you have truly picked the wrong church. You need something non denominational. Unitarian is too liberal for you, i think, but anything is better than the Holy Rollers of Southern Baptists. I know, i used to be one!

To be southern baptist, you must bleed hellfire and brimstone, you MUST watch Fox News and ALWAYS vote Republican no matter who the candidate. You must adopt the "Christian Nation" mantra and repeat it daily. To think otherwise is stupidity on your part. DONT expect a southern baptist to truly want to engage in 'thoughtful' conversation. They will just wait their turn to speak.

Best of luck on your journey.

Dennis aka Denicio
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
26-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Hey man it's a two way street. We atheists aren't always so accepting of each other either. I have learned a bit from having you here too. It's definitely refreshing to have a christian around who's willing to discuss their beliefs knowing full well criticism is bound to follow. And then discussing the criticism.
You're definitely a trooper.
Not to mention I think a lot of the forum members here follow the same code of respect I do. Meaning respect is earned, not handed out like candy from a pedophile at a schoolyard. When it is earned it carries weight. You've earned my respect.
This is a good thing, as it means I don't have to agree with you to think you're a good guy.

That being said, why is it you feel the need to attend this particular church? Or any church at all?
I get the sense of community that can be taken from attending a church, but it doesn't sound like your getting that at this place.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like lucradis's post
26-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks guys.

And, Lucradis:

My wife and I have debated leaving this church. However, I just done feel like it's the right time. I still feel God wants us there for whatever reason. I don't know.

There is a great community there, and the pastor is an amazing preacher and a wonderful man. My only gripes are with the close-minded members that proliferate our age range.

Besides, the church is located in my neighborhood.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
26-01-2012, 10:59 AM

(26-01-2012 10:42 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  There is a great community there, and the pastor is an amazing preacher and a wonderful man. My only gripes are with the close-minded members that proliferate our age range.

If i had a dollar for every time i said those exact words.........

Bad news for you....you are gonna have that in just about every denomination you attend (to some degree). The trick is to find a church thats as little churchy as you can find....almost new age in message.

If you are enamored with a preacher, thats like being a fan of a band. No more no less.
In Memphis we had this amazingly gifted preacher. Dude was awe inspiring (Zig Ziegler would have groveled at his feet). He's since deconverted and a quasi agnostic alien believing guy. Still an amazing guy, but off in crazier territory than before.

Another church here in Memphis that was known as one of the Electrically Plugged in Charismatic churches has recently crumbled. They had a satellite church that had a female leader who (in her remote house/church) was leading them into witchcraft and fucking them all (guys and gals). The preacher proclaimed to the membership that his son WAS to take over the church when he retired and quoted some off beat scripture to justify his open nepotism. It was a HUGE church too, not some small shack in the woods somewhere.

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Denicio's post
26-01-2012, 11:38 AM
(26-01-2012 10:59 AM)Denicio Wrote:  They had a satellite church that had a female leader who (in her remote house/church) was leading them into witchcraft and fucking them all (guys and gals).

[Image: 0pPeA.gif]
[+] 9 users Like kineo's post
26-01-2012, 11:39 AM
I am obligated to like that post due to it being day9. <3
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
26-01-2012, 11:46 AM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2012 11:48 AM by kineo.)
I've been to plenty of churches populated with weirdos and assholes. In some ways I can relate KC, but not on that same level. I wish I could say that I'm surprised, but I know that I'm not. When I've seen my dad have to find a new church simply because the current church believes drinking any alcohol is a sin (and consequently had an argument with the pastor) I can imagine what a major theological rift would do. To them it's almost as if you've rejected God and they cease to see you as a "brother in Christ", or they start looking at you like a wayward soul and in need of guidance. You see, the problem is that you are using your capacity to think for yourself and applying the scripture logically. You shouldn't be doing any of that. Let your leaders guide you. Rolleyes

It's taken me a long time to reach the point where I don't accept and believe everything a pastor tells me, but seeing my dad disagree with one was a start for me.
(26-01-2012 11:39 AM)Logisch Wrote:  I am obligated to like that post due to it being day9. <3

I haven't watched Day9 in a while, but he cracks me up. One of the best gaming podcasts out there... but I've fallen out of SC and SC2 so I haven't watched in a while.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post