Dear you immoral heathens, sinners, hellbound god-haters

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2012, 11:18 AM
RE: Dear you immoral heathens, sinners, hellbound god-haters
(07-08-2012 11:01 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  Although I have to admit I think arguing over the imaginary nature of religion to me is silly.

No argument from me Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
31-08-2012, 02:23 AM
(26-01-2012 08:39 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Thank you. Thank you for being tolerant, understanding, accepting, and willing to discuss differing beliefs calmly, bluntly, and without emotion. Thank you for your open-mindedness, and your ability to view, agree, or disagree with a point of view without vilifying the actual person. All of you are pillars of “Christian” acceptance and tolerance; I only wish real Christians would follow your lead.

Now… for my rant…

I go to a traditional Southern Baptist church (Arminian-YEC-dispensationalist). Over the past couple of years, it has come to the attention of some of my peers that I do not subscribe to their deep traditionally rooted beliefs. Naturally, people become curious and begin to ask me questions. By now, I’m sure you understand my inability to shy away or sugarcoat answers; so, I answer them. The response to my answering is typical (they get really, really angry), and it turns into them getting mad at me and telling me I’m wrong and not to talk to them again.

It happened again earlier this week. This is the third or fourth time this has happened at this church. Now, keep in mind, I was APPROACHED; I was ASKED. I don’t go throwing my theological beliefs around a Southern Baptist church arbitrarily because I know the dissention it can cause.

A member asked me about election. I showed this member what the Bible said. This person got mad at me for showing them scripture. The person said that I’m wrong because this person doesn’t believe that God would do that. I told this person it doesn’t matter what you believe because scripture says what it says. The person then asserted that we should do mediation with the pastor. I refused. I told this person that mediation is not needed since mediation is only commanded in the Bible when you have an issue with another member.

I then told this person that it wasn’t me that was the problem; it was a system of belief and that this person should seek council from the pastor about this system of belief. I also told this person that the pastor believes as you believe and that you are only looking for validation for your belief and dissolution for mine. The person called me closed-minded and told me to never speak to them again.

And, this behavior isn’t atypical… I’ve seen it a lot. No wonder why Christians are so hated. You guys want to know the truth? I’ve had more spiritual growth in the past 2 months from you guys than I’ve had in the past 2 years from my Christian friends. It’s a strange state of affairs that atheists are more accepting of me than Christians.

So, again… thank you.

-Jeremy aka KC

I would try a different church if I were you. I am an atheist and very outspoken. I do not hide in the closet. My wife (a christian) has known since we met what my beliefs are. My wife likes to attend church, however will only go if I go with her. We attend a reformed church almost every sunday. I have certain rules about it. We go if the schedule fits and absolutely never while on vacation. The whole church, or at least everyone there I have met all know my beliefs. They took the time to get to know me though and trust me. They know that I have morals, even though I can make no claim about getting my morals from god. They also seem to like the fact that I know the bible fairly well and disagree with it. The pastor of the church is the first christian I have ever talked to willing to admit that much of the bible is not word for word true, but you can still get some good lessons from it. I seriously suggest finding a more open minded place to go.
31-08-2012, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2012 02:14 PM by Impulse.)
(26-01-2012 08:39 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Thank you. Thank you for being tolerant, understanding, accepting, and willing to discuss differing beliefs calmly, bluntly, and without emotion. Thank you for your open-mindedness, and your ability to view, agree, or disagree with a point of view without vilifying the actual person. All of you are pillars of “Christian” acceptance and tolerance; I only wish real Christians would follow your lead.

Now… for my rant…

I go to a traditional Southern Baptist church (Arminian-YEC-dispensationalist). Over the past couple of years, it has come to the attention of some of my peers that I do not subscribe to their deep traditionally rooted beliefs. Naturally, people become curious and begin to ask me questions. By now, I’m sure you understand my inability to shy away or sugarcoat answers; so, I answer them. The response to my answering is typical (they get really, really angry), and it turns into them getting mad at me and telling me I’m wrong and not to talk to them again.

It happened again earlier this week. This is the third or fourth time this has happened at this church. Now, keep in mind, I was APPROACHED; I was ASKED. I don’t go throwing my theological beliefs around a Southern Baptist church arbitrarily because I know the dissention it can cause.

A member asked me about election. I showed this member what the Bible said. This person got mad at me for showing them scripture. The person said that I’m wrong because this person doesn’t believe that God would do that. I told this person it doesn’t matter what you believe because scripture says what it says. The person then asserted that we should do mediation with the pastor. I refused. I told this person that mediation is not needed since mediation is only commanded in the Bible when you have an issue with another member.

I then told this person that it wasn’t me that was the problem; it was a system of belief and that this person should seek council from the pastor about this system of belief. I also told this person that the pastor believes as you believe and that you are only looking for validation for your belief and dissolution for mine. The person called me closed-minded and told me to never speak to them again.

And, this behavior isn’t atypical… I’ve seen it a lot. No wonder why Christians are so hated. You guys want to know the truth? I’ve had more spiritual growth in the past 2 months from you guys than I’ve had in the past 2 years from my Christian friends. It’s a strange state of affairs that atheists are more accepting of me than Christians.

So, again… thank you.

-Jeremy aka KC
I believe the differing behaviors can be attributed to 2 things. First, many Christians (and believers of other faiths) really have little understanding of what their religion is all about. They think they do because they know the little blurbs they have been told, but as we all know, there is far more to it than what the average church relays directly to its followers. Most of those people never look further and when they are confronted by logical arguments that make some sense and which they find difficult to argue with, it throws their lack of knowledge into a huge spotlight. At this point, they have only 2 trains of thought they can follow: admit their beliefs don't make sense or admit they don't know as much about their religion as they thought they did. Neither is very comforting so up goes the wall between them and you and often not very politely.

The second influence is because the population here on this site consists of people who prefer to think things through rationally. You are far less likely to get a purely emotional response from people who do so. Furthermore, while this is true of atheists and agnostics in general, it is even more true for the specific ones that come here. People that come here aren't just content to acknowledge there is no evidence for the existence of a god. They want more. They want to connect with like-minded people, engage in deeper thought, learn, share, and some may even want to contribute to spreading the word so to speak. So I think sites like this one attract above-average atheists and agnostics which makes it even that much more likely that you will get into some decent discussions instead of emotional arguments.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
31-08-2012, 02:27 PM
Talk about newbies bumping dead threads Tongue
31-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Lol magoo

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
31-08-2012, 02:34 PM
(31-08-2012 02:27 PM)Magoo Wrote:  Talk about newbies bumping dead threads Tongue

I know, right?

I remember when I was a forum Newb.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
31-08-2012, 02:41 PM
(31-08-2012 02:34 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(31-08-2012 02:27 PM)Magoo Wrote:  Talk about newbies bumping dead threads Tongue

I know, right?

What makes you think you're not still?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
31-08-2012, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 31-08-2012 02:48 PM by Atothetheist.)
(31-08-2012 02:41 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(31-08-2012 02:34 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I know, right?

What makes you think you're not still?

My over ONE THOUSAND posts disagrees with that impression.Dodgy

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.