Dear you immoral heathens, sinners, hellbound god-haters

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2012, 11:50 AM
RE: Dear you amoral heathens, sinners, hellbound god-haters
Agreed, religions is often translated differently from person to person. The fact that people spend so much time using it and translating a scripture to say what they want it to mean, or interpret it to mean is just even more frustrating when two people go at their own interpretation of one particular scripture.

Safe to say I've had similar disagreements when I was a Christian. Many times. People DO hate it when you disagree with them in church. Haha
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
26-01-2012, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2012 01:23 PM by kim.)
(26-01-2012 10:42 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  There is a great community there, and the pastor is an amazing preacher and a wonderful man. My only gripes are with the close-minded members that proliferate our age range.

Besides, the church is located in my neighborhood.

Location; always a plus. Sorry you have to deal with all the in-fighting -kind of a bummer when you just want to commune with others. Still, it's good to see that side of others, isn't it? Information is information; it expands our awarness, it helps us form our existence, adjust and adapt to changes, create our life. Sort a boot in the old personal evolution thing, huh Kingsy? Wink

Why don't you make this year 2012, your Year of Adventure? You're getting a new baby; an adventure in itself... why not visit different churches? Could be fun, and an interesting change of pace. It might go down in your family history as the year we went Church Crashing! Smile

Organize it; church name; denomination; miles to home; maybe a chart or roster with attributes you like and don't like and an area for comments... it could be of help if you feel a need to make a decision at some point in the future.

How to choose, can be just as organized or intuitive as you want -adventure is fun, so make it fun. Drive around with the spouse and ask her to pick out a church she's always wanted to see inside. Make it a point to go to that church at least two or three times, just to see what's going on with them. If it seems ok, put it in the "has potential" column on your chart, with notes/names/ etc., and move on... this isn't about commitment. It's an expedition - dare I say - a mission. Tongue

Deliberately make it a point to not go to your own church except maybe once a month, it might be interesting to see how they handle your family not being there. Discuss it with the wife, if she's totally against it, then screw it; an adventure is no fun unless you get to share it. She is the other half of your sky.

If nothing else, you'll meet a lot of people, learn a lot about your area, and who knows... with a prego wife in tow and then an infant, maybe you'll get some cool backyard party invites ... or at least expand your network of potential babysitters. Wink

Good rant. Still, nice to know that non-Theists aren't the only ones who get dumped on by Theists.

Just a thought.... ever get the feeling that Jesus... might have been an Agnostic... or even an Atheist?
Have a better day, Kingsy. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
26-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Let me get this straight.

You're attending a church whose theology you don't believe, they call you on it, and they're in the wrong?

Really?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
26-01-2012, 01:14 PM
(26-01-2012 01:10 PM)Chas Wrote:  Let me get this straight.

You're attending a church whose theology you don't believe, they call you on it, and they're in the wrong?

Really?

No, they ask me and I tell them and they get mad.

A shared common theology isn't a requirement to go to church. There is "right" theology in that sense.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
26-01-2012, 01:37 PM
(26-01-2012 01:14 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Really?

A shared common theology isn't a requirement to go to church. There is "right" theology in that sense.

Differing theology is precisely why there are multiple sects.
Shared theology is why you attend a particular one.

Their reaction is "What the fuck are you here for?"

By your reasoning, if the mosque were closer and they had a kick-ass imam, you'd go there.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2012, 01:37 PM
KC - I had a similar experience in the 5th grade. I was about 10 yrs old and the year was 1975. I was into astronomy and from my home encyclopedia britannica I read that our solar system orbited the galactic core of our milky way galaxy once every 250 million years (roughly). When I passed this information along to my teacher and classmates during our science portion of school, I was laughed at.

Their counter argument was "If the solar system moved around the galaxy, we would run into other stars." My teacher thought I was completely wrong and told me to sit down and stop talking nonsense.

So being right doesn't make you friends when everyone around you has a belief in their mind that doesn't match reality or doesn't line up with the book you read that you believe contains facts. Your bible contains sentences that you find meaningful and in which you consider factual for your religion. Others around you see it differently. I'm sure that you are correct when it comes to the literal reading of the bible in your case.

In my case, the information in the books I read have tons of evidence to back up what they say and can prove it. I don't have to take their word for it.
Keep fighting the good fight if you believe in the virtue of the words you have read in your book.
Don't back down from people in your religion if they can't deal with the words in their own religious book.

Your conviction almost makes make me want to stone preachers who are clearly working on the sabbath as they preach Big Grin

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
26-01-2012, 01:51 PM

Really?

Just as on outsider, i find it exceptionally odd that you chose a baptist church as your home. You truly do not fit their mold, they are confused, perplexed...thus THREATEND by your presence. I gurarantee it that there are little circles of gossip happening talking shit about you and the wife and the poor confused child you are about to bring into the world.

Kim's advise is ROCK SOLID! Make 2012 a year of adventure. Plus you are gonna find that there are other kick ass preachers out there too!

You gotta go to a Charismatic and Pentacostal church....simply for the show! Just go for the hell of it.

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post
26-01-2012, 01:56 PM
(26-01-2012 01:51 PM)Denicio Wrote:  

Really?

Just as on outsider, i find it exceptionally odd that you chose a baptist church as your home. You truly do not fit their mold, they are confused, perplexed...thus THREATEND by your presence. I gurarantee it that there are little circles of gossip happening talking shit about you and the wife and the poor confused child you are about to bring into the world.

Kim's advise is ROCK SOLID! Make 2012 a year of adventure. Plus you are gonna find that there are other kick ass preachers out there too!

You gotta go to a Charismatic and Pentacostal church....simply for the show! Just go for the hell of it.

D

I know... I know...

There just aren't any Reformed churches here... at all. I attend the Southern Baptist church because I am Baptist... just not Southern Baptist. I've considered Presbyterian; however, there aren't any close by.

It just kind of sucks.

It might be interesting, though, if we do "shop around" this year. My brother has been telling me to leave that church for 2 years now.

26-01-2012, 02:05 PM

(26-01-2012 01:56 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-01-2012 01:51 PM)Denicio Wrote:  

Really?

Just as on outsider, i find it exceptionally odd that you chose a baptist church as your home. You truly do not fit their mold, they are confused, perplexed...thus THREATENED by your presence. I guarantee it that there are little circles of gossip happening talking shit about you and the wife and the poor confused child you are about to bring into the world.

You gotta go to a Charismatic and Pentecostal church....simply for the show! Just go for the hell of it.

D

I know... I know...

There just aren't any Reformed churches here... at all. I attend the Southern Baptist church because I am Baptist... just not Southern Baptist. I've considered Presbyterian; however, there aren't any close by.

It just kind of sucks.

It might be interesting, though, if we do "shop around" this year. My brother has been telling me to leave that church for 2 years now.

HOLY CRAP KC, what is wrong with you? Your brother and the entire atheist community is telling you to leave....and you tarry?

I immediately thought of this scene from a favorite ole Steve Martin Movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmivsA3iJw8

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
26-01-2012, 02:07 PM
(26-01-2012 02:05 PM)Denicio Wrote:  HOLY CRAP KC, what is wrong with you? Your brother and the entire atheist community is telling you to leave....and you tarry?

I immediately thought of this scene from a favorite ole Steve Martin Movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmivsA3iJw8

D

I don't know what it is. My wife and I both still feel like we belong there. It would be easy to leave if that wasn't the case.