Dear you immoral heathens, sinners, hellbound god-haters

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2012, 02:10 PM

RE: Dear you amoral heathens, sinners, hellbound god-haters
(26-01-2012 02:07 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-01-2012 02:05 PM)Denicio Wrote:  HOLY CRAP KC, what is wrong with you? Your brother and the entire atheist community is telling you to leave....and you tarry?

I immediately thought of this scene from a favorite ole Steve Martin Movie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmivsA3iJw8

D

I don't know what it is. My wife and I both still feel like we belong there. It would be easy to leave if that wasn't the case.

Your "Feelings" have led you to a believe in an invisible god and to stay in a place that everyone is telling you to leave. Hmmmm.....might want to leave the big decisions to a therapist :-) If you hear voices in your head about your baby....just ignore them !!! (kidding of course!)

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
26-01-2012, 06:36 PM
You should definitely follow Kim's advice now. Whether you two feel you should stay there or not, do you two feel your child should believe what that congregation believes? If I were you I'd find a group I could respect before she's old enough to start questioning why you never seem to agree with the pastor. Unless of course you plan to just introduce her to us at 5 years old =p

I would never raise a child southern baptist, it's just nuts. You want your child to be stable.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2012, 07:57 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2012 08:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
(26-01-2012 08:39 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I go to a traditional Southern Baptist church (Arminian-YEC-dispensationalist).

Let me get this straight, you're an Arminian attending a traditional Southern Baptist Church? For godssake man, they probably consider you a bigger abomination than they do atheists. They think they at least have a prayer of converting an atheist.

(26-01-2012 08:39 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  You guys want to know the truth? I’ve had more spiritual growth in the past 2 months from you guys than I’ve had in the past 2 years from my Christian friends. It’s a strange state of affairs that atheists are more accepting of me than Christians.

Doesn't surprise me at all. The more I read about Arminianism and Calvinism in general, the more I think there is little practical difference between your metaphysics and Nihilism. You just put it in a box and wrap it up with pretty wrapping paper and tie it with a ribbon and bow and call the packaging God. But when you unwrap and open the package you're left with nihilism.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-01-2012, 08:25 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2012 08:26 PM by kingschosen.)
(26-01-2012 07:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-01-2012 08:39 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I go to a traditional Southern Baptist church (Arminian-YEC-dispensationalist).

Let me get this straight, you're an Arminian attending a traditional Southern Baptist Church? For godssake man, they probably consider you a bigger abomination than they do atheists. They think they at least have a prayer of converting an atheist.

(26-01-2012 08:39 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  You guys want to know the truth? I’ve had more spiritual growth in the past 2 months from you guys than I’ve had in the past 2 years from my Christian friends. It’s a strange state of affairs that atheists are more accepting of me than Christians.

Doesn't surprise me at all. The more I read about Arminianism and Calvinism in general, the more I think there is little practical difference between your metaphysics and Nihilism. You just wrap it up and tie it with a ribbon and bow and call the packaging God.

No, no.

I'm a Calvinist-Evolutionary Creationist-Amillenielist attending a church that is mostly filled with Arminian-Young Earth Creationist-Dispensationalists... basically, every major theological point is on the opposite end of what they believe.
(26-01-2012 06:36 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  You should definitely follow Kim's advice now. Whether you two feel you should stay there or not, do you two feel your child should believe what that congregation believes? If I were you I'd find a group I could respect before she's old enough to start questioning why you never seem to agree with the pastor. Unless of course you plan to just introduce her to us at 5 years old =p

I would never raise a child southern baptist, it's just nuts. You want your child to be stable.

It's already going to be hard to leave because of my son. All of his friends are from the church.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
26-01-2012, 08:28 PM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2012 08:31 PM by GirlyMan.)
(26-01-2012 08:25 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm a Calvinist-Evolutionary Creationist-Amillenielist attending a church that is mostly filled with Arminian-Young Earth Creationist-Dispensationalists...

How in God's name do you characterize that as traditional Southern Baptist? Huh About the only thing they have in common is the Creationist bit.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
26-01-2012, 08:29 PM
(26-01-2012 08:25 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's already going to be hard to leave because of my son. All of his friends are from the church.

Baptists? Baptists? You let your son associate with Baptists????!!??

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
26-01-2012, 08:39 PM
(26-01-2012 08:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-01-2012 08:25 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I'm a Calvinist-Evolutionary Creationist-Amillenielist attending a church that is mostly filled with Arminian-Young Earth Creationist-Dispensationalists...

How in God's name do you characterize that as traditional Southern Baptist? Huh About the only thing they have in common is the Creationist bit.

lol in word only.

EC is like the exact opposite of YEC.

26-01-2012, 08:40 PM
I'd say you've lost him already then. Those early years friends matter a lot more than mom and dad. Maybe find him some nice friends who believe radically different things that he would find silly. Like meet a nice Hindu family. If all his friends are baptist guess where that lands him =p/ You may not see how convincing the majority is, but then again you're quasi-in it. I cannot call your views an actual plea to the majority they seem more like a non-christian attempting with all the strength he can to be christian.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
26-01-2012, 08:51 PM
(26-01-2012 08:40 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  they seem more like a non-christian attempting with all the strength he can to be christian.

Maybe to you... but why is that? Because I let what scripture says form my beliefs and not what tradition says?

See... the thing about me is this:

I was fortunate enough to adopt my theology based on what I learned without anyone's influence. I started studying before I got heavily into church.

And, my theology is changing the more I learn about scripture... for instance... I've been reviewing something tonight with my brother... and... it just seems wrong... morally, that is. So, I'm having a hard time with it. In time, God will reveal what I'm supposed to believe about this certain issue. Until then, I will just continue to study and pray for wisdom.

Edit:
HOLY CRAP!!! 1200 posts.
(26-01-2012 08:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-01-2012 08:25 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's already going to be hard to leave because of my son. All of his friends are from the church.

Baptists? Baptists? You let your son associate with Baptists????!!??

Dude. I know.

...I know.

26-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Is it as big of a moral question as Abraham had when god was discussing Sodom? That was one of those cute little stories where a human kinda bidded the fates of others with god. Lets start at 50 righteous would you slay 50? Abraham bargained god all the way down to 10, and he did it in biblical fashion too, saying three sentences every time he bids. What kind of god would sit through all that extra verbage?

The reason I consider you rather unchristian is that you really just follow your mind. Christianity has never really been about the book from what I've seen. The book is simply the emblem it gathers everyone together and protects them from scrutiny. I've never known anyone to share the cornucopia of beliefs you've chosen so far, and it sounds like you've yet to either. And by believe the same I mean even roughly. Christians I know generally view god in what they believe to be a selfless view. In which they don't worry about how they feel they just let god contradict their own wishes. This to them means that they are truly able to be selfless by accepting a god they dislike. While you accept a cantankerous deity though, you really force it into your own box. In this way your cantankerous deity is excessively representative of you and your views.

Born agains I meet generally stick to the theology that wrung them into the faith since they don't have the decades of experience others have, but since you study it's understandable you migrate. It's just that while considering the church an important symbol of your faith you haven't chosen a church that symbolizes your faith (or your wife's it seems). also a very unchristian thing is that you seek a new understanding which changes your views on christianity.

How is god an answer for you if it never has a form? You can never ask questions about anything else because unlike the average christian you're still answering the "who is god?" question. You desire a change in your beliefs enough to warrant that you are seeking a better understanding than you have yet to muster. Everything about the way you explain your views suggests to me that you seek an alternative to what you're going for.

A key instrumentation for religion is that it poses an answer to life's many questions, but you don't see it as an answer to any of them. You just took the god block and found out it fits in the circle, triangle, and square hole, but you're not sure why. it's just really contrary to christianity, Perhaps my views of your declarations are warped, but this is how I see it.

[+] 2 users Like Lilith Pride's post