Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2013, 01:04 PM
Death
Death has no real meaning except to atheists and religious people that don't believe in an afterlife. If there is an afterlife, then a person doesn't die; they just transition to the next life. The only real significance to the afterlife-believing religious is the separation from loved ones temporarily and whether you go to heaven, hell, purgatory, limbo, or you reincarnate.

For that reason, Jesus could not have risen from the dead. If you believe in Jesus and an afterlife, then Jesus was never dead. So where's the big miracle?

For atheists, we simply cease to exist. There is nothing to fear (except perhaps the manner of death) because it will be the same as before we were born. We will simply be unaware of anything because we won't "be" at all.

Still, while I don't fear death, it sometimes makes me incredibly sad to think about because there will be an eternal separation from those that I love. So every day I try to make sure I don't get too caught up in unimportant distractions and make sure I spend quality time with my family and friends. (Online friends count too.)

These were just some thoughts I was having today that I thought I would share and see if it sparked any interesting discussion.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
26-05-2013, 01:10 PM
RE: Death
I dunno, it always seems to me that afterlife-believers don't seem to believe in an afterlife either, since they grieve deaths and avoid death (usually, except suicide bombers).

Death always seemed like a great relief to me. I mean, I'm in no hurry, but I like the thought that someday, shit is just going to stop forever. The idea of eternal life sounds awful to me.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like amyb's post
26-05-2013, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2013 01:18 PM by Dom.)
My own death is not an issue, and if it looks like it will be slow and torturous, I have no problem speeding it up. You experience being dead every day, when you are deep asleep.

Other people's deaths are a whole other thing though. If it is someone you are currently living with and have lived with for a long time, it seriously upsets your life. Your body reacts hormonally and oddly, a lot of people in such situations report physical pain, and I, too, experienced that. That is really weird.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
26-05-2013, 01:27 PM
The thought of my death saddens me because I enjoy life and want to see what's going to happen next.

I also agree that I will do whatever it takes to prevent a slow, lingering death. I haz gunz.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
26-05-2013, 02:55 PM
(26-05-2013 01:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  The thought of my death saddens me because I enjoy life and want to see what's going to happen next.

I also agree that I will do whatever it takes to prevent a slow, lingering death. I haz gunz.

nitrogenz bagz iz mo betta. Tongue

Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean there aren't people who should pray for their sorry ass to be saved.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-05-2013, 02:58 PM
(26-05-2013 02:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-05-2013 01:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  The thought of my death saddens me because I enjoy life and want to see what's going to happen next.

nitrogenz bagz iz mo betta. Tongue

You make a tidy argument. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
26-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Guns are still one of the more reliable and less painful methods (if you do it right), if I recall correctly. We spent a lot of time on this in a philosophy course I took called Death and Dying. I don't have any guns, but if I got old and sick enough, I think I'd buy a couple.
26-05-2013, 03:09 PM
My worry is also a slow, painful death. I also don't ever want to be totally dependent on anyone...so a fast track solution is fine with me.

I am really okay with it, recently I have come to terms with my own death. If something were to come after...that would just be another journey but I don't see that as a possibility and I certainly don't count on it.

I’m not anti-social. I’m pro-solitude. ~Author Unknown
26-05-2013, 03:27 PM
(26-05-2013 02:58 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-05-2013 02:55 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  nitrogenz bagz iz mo betta. Tongue

You make a tidy argument. Drinking Beverage

Yes; tidy.
Outside is tidy.
Tidy is also the reason this gardner knows her plants.

If it's my choice, a pale blue sky might be the last thing I see. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
26-05-2013, 04:50 PM
(26-05-2013 03:06 PM)amyb Wrote:  Guns are still one of the more reliable and less painful methods (if you do it right), if I recall correctly. We spent a lot of time on this in a philosophy course I took called Death and Dying. I don't have any guns, but if I got old and sick enough, I think I'd buy a couple.

You'd probably only need one. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post