Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2013, 04:52 PM
RE: Death
(26-05-2013 04:50 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You'd probably only need one. Drinking Beverage

Well, not gonna argue with that, but I guess I'd feel empowered by a choice of which one to use.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
26-05-2013, 05:08 PM
(26-05-2013 01:10 PM)amyb Wrote:  I dunno, it always seems to me that afterlife-believers don't seem to believe in an afterlife either, since they grieve deaths and avoid death (usually, except suicide bombers).

Death always seemed like a great relief to me. I mean, I'm in no hurry, but I like the thought that someday, shit is just going to stop forever. The idea of eternal life sounds awful to me.

Your post reminded me of this video about truly believing in an afterlife:

I wear a seatbelt. Big Grin

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
26-05-2013, 06:30 PM
(26-05-2013 01:10 PM)amyb Wrote:  I dunno, it always seems to me that afterlife-believers don't seem to believe in an afterlife either, since they grieve deaths and avoid death (usually, except suicide bombers).

Death always seemed like a great relief to me. I mean, I'm in no hurry, but I like the thought that someday, shit is just going to stop forever. The idea of eternal life sounds awful to me.
I agree that eternal life sounds awful. Either it would be eternity of kissing some god's boots or, at the very least, there would come a time when everything had been done and seen many times over and it would all just be boring. And there would still be eternity left to endure. Sadcryface

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
26-05-2013, 06:34 PM
(26-05-2013 01:13 PM)Dom Wrote:  My own death is not an issue, and if it looks like it will be slow and torturous, I have no problem speeding it up. You experience being dead every day, when you are deep asleep.

Other people's deaths are a whole other thing though. If it is someone you are currently living with and have lived with for a long time, it seriously upsets your life. Your body reacts hormonally and oddly, a lot of people in such situations report physical pain, and I, too, experienced that. That is really weird.

Yeah, I really wouldn't want a slow and torturous death either. If it was just me, I would have no problem ending it early in that case. But, it's not, so I'd have to consider my friends and family that I would be leaving behind because, as you mentioned, my death would seriously upset their lives. It would be a difficult decision to make. I hope I'm never in that position.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
26-05-2013, 07:55 PM
(26-05-2013 06:34 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(26-05-2013 01:13 PM)Dom Wrote:  My own death is not an issue, and if it looks like it will be slow and torturous, I have no problem speeding it up. You experience being dead every day, when you are deep asleep.

Other people's deaths are a whole other thing though. If it is someone you are currently living with and have lived with for a long time, it seriously upsets your life. Your body reacts hormonally and oddly, a lot of people in such situations report physical pain, and I, too, experienced that. That is really weird.

Yeah, I really wouldn't want a slow and torturous death either. If it was just me, I would have no problem ending it early in that case. But, it's not, so I'd have to consider my friends and family that I would be leaving behind because, as you mentioned, my death would seriously upset their lives. It would be a difficult decision to make. I hope I'm never in that position.

Well, if you have a long and torturous death, you end up dead anyway and all the anguish your friends and family have to live through, the eternal hopes being crushed again and again, feeling the pain you feel as they watch you wither away, and it all ends in disaster - I've been there, and it's hell. No, it's better for them too if you don't have a long and torturous death. A clean, rational exit is much better. Clean. Not brains splattered all over like with a gun. Girly has got that right!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
26-05-2013, 09:03 PM
(26-05-2013 03:06 PM)amyb Wrote:  Guns are still one of the more reliable and less painful methods (if you do it right), if I recall correctly. We spent a lot of time on this in a philosophy course I took called Death and Dying. I don't have any guns, but if I got old and sick enough, I think I'd buy a couple.

My uncle had a stroke in his late 60's and didn't want to go on with life so he took a gun and shot himself in the head. As he was living with my cousin at the time my cousins wife is the one that found him. It was a horrific scene. People don't understand how messy self inflicted gun shot deaths are. It covered the room. They had to sell the house and move because his wife couldn't live there anymore. It took her years to get over it.

Just something to think about with guns.

Shakespeare Insult 13 – Henry IV Part 1
“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
26-05-2013, 09:18 PM
[/quote]
I agree that eternal life sounds awful. Either it would be eternity of kissing some god's boots or, at the very least, there would come a time when everything had been done and seen many times over and it would all just be boring. And there would still be eternity left to endure. Sadcryface
[/quote]

I agree. Can you imagine living for eternity? Even if it's blissful. I mean.... it's forever. This is quite possibly the worst kind of hell there could be. Please, please, please when I die just let me die. I don't mind no longer existing, since I didn't exist for zillions of years before I was born and it wasn't all that bad.

“That trunk of humours, that bolting-hutch of beastliness, that swollen parcel of dropsies, that huge bombard of sack, that stuffed cloak-bag of guts, that reverend vice, that grey Iniquity, that father ruffian, that vanity in years?”
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
28-05-2013, 10:46 AM
(26-05-2013 01:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  The thought of my death saddens me because I want to see what's going to happen next.

When you die you will see what is going to happen next.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
28-05-2013, 11:16 AM
(28-05-2013 10:46 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(26-05-2013 01:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  The thought of my death saddens me because I want to see what's going to happen next.

You won't see anything. The brain ceases to function and is not viable when you die. You have no consciousness what so ever.

There is nothing wrong with death. There is nothing wrong with life ending and having no afterlife. Why is the finality of it so bad? It happens to everything and everybody. The brevity of life is the very thing that makes it so valuable and why we should be decent to others around us. This is our one and only chance. Make it count.

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
28-05-2013, 12:42 PM
(28-05-2013 10:46 AM)theophilus Wrote:  

Show me the evidence. You have a brochure?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post