Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2013, 01:02 PM
RE: Death
(26-05-2013 09:03 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My uncle had a stroke in his late 60's and didn't want to go on with life so he took a gun and shot himself in the head. As he was living with my cousin at the time my cousins wife is the one that found him. It was a horrific scene. People don't understand how messy self inflicted gun shot deaths are. It covered the room. They had to sell the house and move because his wife couldn't live there anymore. It took her years to get over it.

Just something to think about with guns.

True, and for people with spouses, etc. it would be traumatic. I'm not very social, so no matter how I did it, I doubt I would be found for a while, so I imagine my corpse is gonna look nasty and smell foul no matter what. So I'd be more concerned with how long it took to die, and gunshot wounds (properly inflicted) kill you faster than hanging by the neck, and are more reliable than most drugs.

I definitely understand how messy self inflicted gunshot wounds are, though, I've seen it, I've known people who have done it, but some people may not.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2013, 02:19 PM
(26-05-2013 07:55 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-05-2013 06:34 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Yeah, I really wouldn't want a slow and torturous death either. If it was just me, I would have no problem ending it early in that case. But, it's not, so I'd have to consider my friends and family that I would be leaving behind because, as you mentioned, my death would seriously upset their lives. It would be a difficult decision to make. I hope I'm never in that position.

Well, if you have a long and torturous death, you end up dead anyway and all the anguish your friends and family have to live through, the eternal hopes being crushed again and again, feeling the pain you feel as they watch you wither away, and it all ends in disaster - I've been there, and it's hell. No, it's better for them too if you don't have a long and torturous death. A clean, rational exit is much better. Clean. Not brains splattered all over like with a gun. Girly has got that right!
On the other hand, it all depends on your definition of suffering. In a lot of situations, the family would rather have the burden than not have you around at all.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
Find all posts by this user
28-05-2013, 02:20 PM
(28-05-2013 10:46 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(26-05-2013 01:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  The thought of my death saddens me because I want to see what's going to happen next.

When you die you will see what is going to happen next.
If you see what happens next, then you didn't die...

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
28-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Another thought that I could have put in the first post:

Why do many believers find it so easy to believe that humans go on to an afterlife, but plants and animals do not...? Consider

[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
28-05-2013, 02:31 PM
(28-05-2013 12:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-05-2013 10:46 AM)theophilus Wrote:  When you die you will see what is going to happen next.

Show me the evidence. You have a brochure?

Oh Chas, you know they have a brochure. Now that you've asked, you won't be able to keep those idiots away from your door.

Come on people, remember your Vampire rules; they can't come in unless invited. Dodgy Like Jesus.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
28-05-2013, 02:32 PM
(28-05-2013 02:23 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Another thought that I could have put in the first post:

Why do many believers find it so easy to believe that humans go on to an afterlife, but plants and animals do not...? Consider

Because we're special - we have souls. Boy, are you dumb. AngryAngryAngry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
28-05-2013, 02:34 PM
(28-05-2013 02:31 PM)kim Wrote:  
(28-05-2013 12:42 PM)Chas Wrote:  Show me the evidence. You have a brochure?

Oh Chas, you know they have a brochure. Now that you've asked, you won't be able to keep those idiots away from your door.

Come on people, remember your Vampire rules; they can't come in unless invited. Dodgy Like Jesus.

Shit. I made that same mistake with that guy selling condos in Florida. Shit, shit, shit. Weeping

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-05-2013, 02:38 PM
(28-05-2013 02:19 PM)Impulse Wrote:  On the other hand, it all depends on your definition of suffering. In a lot of situations, the family would rather have the burden than not have you around at all.
You have a point, but then again, i think the suffering person may feel the loss of their dignity too much to bear. Personally, I think the suffering person is the one to make the decisions. I have friends who go around talking about how "selfish" suicide is, and how it basically makes you an asshole for doing it. I understand feeling anger if you are one of the people still living, but I still respect the suffering person's decision. In fact, i think it is selfish to expect someone who is suffering to continue suffering just to make the people around them feel better. If you are suffering in some way, very badly, and it is impossible or unlikely for your situation to improve, I think there are cases where suicide is a logical option that should be respected.
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
28-05-2013, 02:42 PM
(28-05-2013 02:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-05-2013 02:23 PM)Impulse Wrote:  Another thought that I could have put in the first post:

Because we're special - we have souls. Boy, are you dumb. AngryAngryAngry

Well you got me with the plants, but my dog quite enjoys soul food. Wink

[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
28-05-2013, 02:43 PM
(28-05-2013 02:38 PM)amyb Wrote:  
(28-05-2013 02:19 PM)Impulse Wrote:  On the other hand, it all depends on your definition of suffering. In a lot of situations, the family would rather have the burden than not have you around at all.
You have a point, but then again, i think the suffering person may feel the loss of their dignity too much to bear. Personally, I think the suffering person is the one to make the decisions. I have friends who go around talking about how "selfish" suicide is, and how it basically makes you an asshole for doing it. I understand feeling anger if you are one of the people still living, but I still respect the suffering person's decision. In fact, i think it is selfish to expect someone who is suffering to continue suffering just to make the people around them feel better. If you are suffering in some way, very badly, and it is impossible or unlikely for your situation to improve, I think there are cases where suicide is a logical option that should be respected.
You make a good point. Yes

[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post