Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2013, 04:51 PM
Death
So over the last few weeks something I've been hit by a slow realisation. I have a huge fear of death. Not in that I think I'm about to die or anything but just the fact that I (and certain people in my life) will one day die. The thought never used to bother me but recently it has begun to scare the shit outta me.

I think there are two main reasons. Firstly, I think about how much I've learned, changed, and developed through my life. All those experience have shaped me into something over the last 21 years and it terrifies me that that could (and one day will) all be erased in a single moment, it will all be lost. It could happen at any point. Secondly, I think about the people I'll leave behind (or who will leave me behind). There are a few people in this world who I think have immeasurable worth. The thought that I could get hit by a bus tomorrow and never communicate with them again, and see how their life progresses, equally scares me. The thought that they might be hit by a bus tomorrow and be lost to me and the world is just as bad.

I know most atheists seem to say that they are cool with the idea of simply dying and that they wouldn't want to exist forever. I am not in that bracket at all.

How do other people view these things?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
06-08-2013, 05:16 PM
RE: Death
Dude, I'm in that bracket... no fear of death.

If I die tomorrow... meh! Whatever. The last girl I'm with gets my ATM card and 6 digits as my dying words.

I know many theists (kinda mocktail Muslims) who are only clinging on to Islam for the comfort found in group/family traditions and because of their fear of death.

But as we know (or think we know) all that afterlife nonsense is just wishful thinking.

I was around 10 years old when I last worried about death (it's when my last remaining grandparent died) and at the time I was studying History (kings and dates and stuff) and thought about all the people who had died long ago and imagined them having the same thoughts.

We are naught but tomorrow's history.

Consider

There's a sobering thought.

Death is inevitable so there's no point stressing over it.

So the obvious next question is... what's the point?

That's when I decided that our worth... our value... is the legacy we leave behind.

Alternatively, you need to hunt down and decapitate all the other immortals for...

There Can Be Only One!

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
06-08-2013, 05:27 PM
Sorry man, like all humans I'm a bit wary of dying but I want grab life in a it's horrible beauty and experience it to the fullest. And when it's lights out no had better cry over me cuz I had fun bitches.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like BrokenQuill92's post
06-08-2013, 05:37 PM
(06-08-2013 04:51 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  So over the last few weeks something I've been hit by a slow realisation. I have a huge fear of death. Not in that I think I'm about to die or anything but just the fact that I (and certain people in my life) will one day die. The thought never used to bother me but recently it has begun to scare the shit outta me.

I think there are two main reasons. Firstly, I think about how much I've learned, changed, and developed through my life. All those experience have shaped me into something over the last 21 years and it terrifies me that that could (and one day will) all be erased in a single moment, it will all be lost. It could happen at any point. Secondly, I think about the people I'll leave behind (or who will leave me behind). There are a few people in this world who I think have immeasurable worth. The thought that I could get hit by a bus tomorrow and never communicate with them again, and see how their life progresses, equally scares me. The thought that they might be hit by a bus tomorrow and be lost to me and the world is just as bad.

I know most atheists seem to say that they are cool with the idea of simply dying and that they wouldn't want to exist forever. I am not in that bracket at all.

It's all about perspective. Some people see death as an anxiety, some a comfort, some an indifferent neutral.

It is lamentable to realize that a future can be snatched from us at any given moment, but this is why we're always told to live life to the fullest extent- every possible second we are allowed. Your experiences won't be wasted in death. We all leave imprints; some large, a majority small, but all abiding and lasting.
[+] 1 user Likes Ferdinand's post
06-08-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't like the idea of it. I've spent more than a few nights lying awake thinking about it, but I've come to accept it, death that is.

There have been a few people close to me who have died, one good friend who chose to take his own life while he was just entering the prime of it, and he had so much to offer this world. He was probably the first atheist I had ever met, too. But I can't change any of it and there isn't any point in dwelling on whether I might have been able to or not.

Life isn't made up of what could have beens, or what might be's. Life is now and it's best served with every moment enjoyed to the utmost for what it is. Death, whether your own or a loved one's, is inevitable and the sooner this is realized and incorporated into your expectations the better.

I wouldn't want to live forever, I think immortality would be a curse. But it would be nice to be able to choose when, and how I go. But alas, you can wish in one hand and shit in the other........

It's not bad to contemplate or fear death, anyone who claims they never do is selling something. But it's not healthy to dwell on it for too long, just be grateful for the amazing opportunity to experience the present.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
06-08-2013, 05:47 PM

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-08-2013, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 07:10 PM by Luminon.)
(06-08-2013 04:51 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I think there are two main reasons. Firstly, I think about how much I've learned, changed, and developed through my life. All those experience have shaped me into something over the last 21 years and it terrifies me that that could (and one day will) all be erased in a single moment, it will all be lost. It could happen at any point. Secondly, I think about the people I'll leave behind (or who will leave me behind). There are a few people in this world who I think have immeasurable worth. The thought that I could get hit by a bus tomorrow and never communicate with them again, and see how their life progresses, equally scares me. The thought that they might be hit by a bus tomorrow and be lost to me and the world is just as bad.

I can't help you with the second point. In your place I'd celebrate that I have so many relationships, with people to whom I actually have something to say. The way it is now, we don't understand each other and have no use for each other. I and other people are almost as ghosts to each other, an actual death would not change things too much. Living, that is difficult and mysterious.

But I am not scared of non-existence. I experienced what is it like to be non-existent, through a phenomenon of dis-identification. My identity was annihilated for a moment. It was not unpleasant, only very peculiar. This is a real psychological phenomenon that may ease many people's fear of death. I just do not think this is what actually happens in death.

But the first point... What you're making is a big naturalistic assumption. We die, brain rots and that's it.
I just don't think this is what happens. The meat is not all there is. I do not feel my body as a meat, skin and bone only. I feel much more than that. Look at this slightly cheesy picture, this portraits very literally how do I feel. These weird pointed lines, vortexes, emanations and radiations, this is how I feel my body. I feel these phenomena more than you feel your stomach and heart, veins and nerves. This is the bodily, empirical, daily reality for me. Yes, even these head halo-like radiations and even these white lines on the face and around the nose, I can feel this map of lines even to such details. That's how I feel during or after meditation. It's fuckin' weird, but it also all feels very natural, like it was there all along, only dormant.
[Image: Meridians-and-Chakras.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_mnu5zl2ROD1srgq6uo1_1280.jpg]
Now, it is rather unimaginable for me to believe, that death is the end. I didn't choose my avatar picture at random. Certainly, the flesh and bone rots, but this radiant, tingly, hissing, pressing, flowing, pulsating electro-plasmatic stuff, what if it goes on? It seems almost a certainty. This isn't something that would start and grow from scratch when someone gets born. It is an extension of our nerve system, or more like a template for it. This isn't genetic or even biologic, yet maybe this is more of what we actually are.

There are many people like me, who are aware of this reality of bodily existence. Of course this is not your experience, but should you go through similar disciplines that I went through, for a similar amount of time, chances are you'd make yourself sensitive to this aspect of reality as well. One of things I learned, is how crude are the measuring instruments of today's science. You need instruments like polycontrast interference photography to get at least a glimpse of these phenomena. Scientists would need to know exactly what to look for, and for that they'd need the experience. So you can't bet all your fear or non-fear of death on what the scientists say reality is. Their notion of reality is limited by using dead instruments of anorganic matter with many prejudices and pre-conceptions about reality, life and death and zero experience of this kind. So I can't say that in this particular area scientists know more than me.

Just please tell me, do I make any valid points? Does the account, the confession of my experience make you feel any better? Even if you could consider just one more possibility about what the death is, would it ease your burden a little?
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
06-08-2013, 07:59 PM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2013 08:06 PM by GirlyMan.)
(06-08-2013 07:03 PM)Luminon Wrote:  Now, it is rather unimaginable for me to believe, that death is the end. I didn't choose my avatar picture at random. Certainly, the flesh and bone rots, but this radiant, tingly, hissing, pressing, flowing, pulsating electro-plasmatic stuff, what if it goes on? It seems almost a certainty.

It seems almost certainly not to me unless you've backed up the software to the cloud. Software dies with the hardware unless it's been backed up. ... Can we get there? Probably. Does Girly want any part of it? Probably not. Realizing and fully appreciating how temporary I am is pretty much all that keeps me going.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-08-2013, 11:17 PM
Enjoy life now, hope you die quick. Mind you, is probably good to feel shitty about it for a while. Once you find your own way to deal with it you become a stronger person.
06-08-2013, 11:40 PM
I fantasize about some sort of Sci-Fi scenario that would zap me into youthful immortality so I'd live to see and enjoy a Star Trek kind of future. Just can't buy into the whole "sick of living forever" deal - there's way too much cool stuff to do, see, and experience in the universe!

But in reality, I don't look forward to dying old and messed up. I'd rather choose my own ending when the time comes, perhaps something like Edward G. Robinson's character in Soylent Green.