Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2013, 10:37 AM
RE: Death
(09-08-2013 10:33 AM)Luminon Wrote:  There is no thought process involved, really.

Egor, is that you? Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2013, 10:44 AM
Ah... see now this is where it gets interesting.

What empirical observations have you made, what hypotheses have you come up with and *how have you tested them* ?

You say people should take their perceptions seriously but I *know* that my senses are not trustworthy. I can make a hypothesis that my senses are trying to tell me something when I get a scary feeling... maybe there's a ghost in the room ? But I need to confirm this hypothesis, I can't just believe it willy-nilly, is there really no other explanation for the sensation ? Since I already distrust my senses, can I somehow confirm that my senses are trustworthy ?
Find all posts by this user
09-08-2013, 11:24 AM
So which of your "senses" was this?

Are you not talking about a feeling/emotion?

Your feelings/emotions are the brain counterpart to the physical alarm systems - pain and pleasure.

An alarm went off - based on some sight/sound/touch/thought connection with the current situation. The trigger can be hard coded or soft coded. All it is trying to do is to get you to pay attention.

Then it is up to your conscious brain to draw conclusions...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-08-2013, 02:35 PM
(08-08-2013 05:16 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 04:58 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  Death is the end of consciousness and, because I exist only as a consciousness, that terrifies me. I suffer from anxiety, but everything I have issues with can not be accurately described as a fear. They are things that are hard to deal with, but I can deal with them. I can't deal with death; it is the one thing that I am truly afraid of.

I am as atheist as one can be, but I still wish there was an afterlife.

I think if I didn't have children death would scare me. Somehow having children carries on your genes and your teachings and philosophies. Even if you adopt a child your life becomes so entwined with theirs that after you die you've changed their life so profoundly those ideas never die and you live on. I think death is one of the things that people who decide to not have children will have a more difficult time dealing with. When a childless person dies they really die. That's just my thinking.

That's an interesting response! I have no children an am afraid of death. So: Children are the antidote to fear of death? Anyone else feel this way?

Thanks Dances.
09-08-2013, 02:46 PM
(08-08-2013 05:37 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I think death was the last thing that really is the nail in the coffin for my being an atheist. I can't go back either way so what I deal with now is accepting it as best I can and it's not easy. There is a part of me that would like for me to chose the time and the place of my death, but then that's not how life works.

My geese, I should become a poet.

The biggest thing I think that gets me to go "WTF??" at with death is that all material objects are just that: material objects. I myself am matter brought forth from the stars. Stars lives end and the Universe will end... or it won't. But luckily it so far has not claimed my sense of self-worth and the worth of others around me and life in general. I don't go about thinking "You live and you die, that's it". It's more of a "You live your life and do right by yourself and others and what happens happens in its time" that brings me peace and helps me accept death as just another part of life. It's just a mortal coil and I am unable to manipulate the spring. I'm okay with that... most days. Blush

Damn, I really really should become a poet.

I think we'll all have to face that "No atheist in the foxhole thing", at the end. My Mom fought it! When we brought Hospice in, they said she probably wouldn't make it through the weekend. She survived another three years!

Dad (who was also a Hospice patient) just kind of kept doing his thing. Drinking! But now he had morphine! Morphine and booze! Probably not a good combination! He seemed healthier than Mom, But he died long before her!
09-08-2013, 02:46 PM
(09-08-2013 02:35 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  That's an interesting response! I have no children an am afraid of death. So: Children are the antidote to fear of death? Anyone else feel this way?

I always felt that children were a way that many people leave behind something that lives on after them (though there are other reasons, too). Personally, i feel no need for that. I've always felt like there are other ways to exert influence on people and/or the world, and to leave behind something else that will outlive you. I think the idea of having kids erasing the fear of mortality stems from not wanting to be forgotten, and there are other ways to not be forgotten.
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
09-08-2013, 03:00 PM
(09-08-2013 02:46 PM)amyb Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 02:35 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  That's an interesting response! I have no children an am afraid of death. So: Children are the antidote to fear of death? Anyone else feel this way?

I always felt that children were a way that many people leave behind something that lives on after them (though there are other reasons, too). Personally, i feel no need for that. I've always felt like there are other ways to exert influence on people and/or the world, and to leave behind something else that will outlive you. I think the idea of having kids erasing the fear of mortality stems from not wanting to be forgotten, and there are other ways to not be forgotten.

I think that's a valid argument. We all have our hero's, who "live forever". Writers, artists, movie stars.

But (Again, no children here) Aren't children something different?

I felt no need for children for most of my life. And, truthfully, I think I would have been a terrible father! I'm too self absorbed! But there's the idea of ones value in life. I think kids (if you've raised them successfully) might make you feel your life had value.
09-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Income level? I wonder if a persons income level has an effect on their fear of death? Do poor people fear death more than rich people? Or the other way around?
09-08-2013, 03:14 PM
(09-08-2013 02:46 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 05:37 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I think death was the last thing that really is the nail in the coffin for my being an atheist. I can't go back either way so what I deal with now is accepting it as best I can and it's not easy. There is a part of me that would like for me to chose the time and the place of my death, but then that's not how life works.

My geese, I should become a poet.

The biggest thing I think that gets me to go "WTF??" at with death is that all material objects are just that: material objects. I myself am matter brought forth from the stars. Stars lives end and the Universe will end... or it won't. But luckily it so far has not claimed my sense of self-worth and the worth of others around me and life in general. I don't go about thinking "You live and you die, that's it". It's more of a "You live your life and do right by yourself and others and what happens happens in its time" that brings me peace and helps me accept death as just another part of life. It's just a mortal coil and I am unable to manipulate the spring. I'm okay with that... most days. Blush

Damn, I really really should become a poet.

I think we'll all have to face that "No atheist in the foxhole thing", at the end. My Mom fought it! When we brought Hospice in, they said she probably wouldn't make it through the weekend. She survived another three years!

Dad (who was also a Hospice patient) just kind of kept doing his thing. Drinking! But now he had morphine! Morphine and booze! Probably not a good combination! He seemed healthier than Mom, But he died long before her!

Sounds like he had a much better time of it!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-08-2013, 03:16 PM
(09-08-2013 03:00 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  I think that's a valid argument. We all have our hero's, who "live forever". Writers, artists, movie stars.

But (Again, no children here) Aren't children something different?

I felt no need for children for most of my life. And, truthfully, I think I would have been a terrible father! I'm too self absorbed! But there's the idea of ones value in life. I think kids (if you've raised them successfully) might make you feel your life had value.
I don't think you have to be a movie star to feel like you made an impact on people. Just being a fabulous person all the time is enough to influence the people around you.

As for raising kids giving your life value, well, i guess if your life has absolutely no value otherwise, that might make you feel better and like you did something. But I don't think that's a great reason to have kids, I think people should have kids because they want to raise children, not because they just want to clone themselves or cop out from having to do anything else with their time. It makes sense on a biological level, continuation of the species, but the idea does nothing for me on an individual level.