Death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2013, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 05:06 PM by I Am.)
RE: Death
So yeah... death...

I do this weird thing. At work, when I'm sick, I use vacation time instead of sick time. I save up my sick time for when I'm *really* sick, like a stroke or heart attack or something. Which seems inevitable... both granddads had heart attacks, one died at 55 or so. Dad had a 5-way cardiac bypass, which is basically playing Tetris with major blood vessels.

Does the fact that I'm actually planning on having some major, life-altering or -threatening (or -ending) illness mean that I should make some changes to my life? Or should I just keep saving my sick leave?

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post
10-08-2013, 04:30 PM
(10-08-2013 04:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-08-2013 03:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  Poor kids have to grow up without a father... Unsure

Bah, they had 2 more years with their father than Girly had with his and I'll bet rich old daddy made sure they were financially secure before he checked out, unlike my old man who just left us in the lurch when I was 5 yo. ... Father's are overrated. Tongue

Naw, they're not, you just don't know what you were missing. Or maybe you do deep down, cause you took care of your kids just perfectly.

I don't agree with people having kids when they can't be around to see it through. Not fair to the kids. Money beats no money any day, but there's really no substitute for a dad.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
10-08-2013, 05:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 05:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(10-08-2013 04:30 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-08-2013 04:10 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Bah, they had 2 more years with their father than Girly had with his and I'll bet rich old daddy made sure they were financially secure before he checked out, unlike my old man who just left us in the lurch when I was 5 yo. ... Father's are overrated. Tongue

Naw, they're not, you just don't know what you were missing. Or maybe you do deep down, cause you took care of your kids just perfectly.

I don't agree with people having kids when they can't be around to see it through. Not fair to the kids. Money beats no money any day, but there's really no substitute for a dad.

I think if you've lined up responsible caretakers, the kids will be fine. ,,, Girly ain't got no Dad he remembers much of.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
10-08-2013, 07:49 PM
I guess the only thing I can do is accept that one day I will be no more, as will the people I care about.

Now I just need to figure out how to accept it, as opposed to resenting it. Consider

Any advice?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
10-08-2013, 07:57 PM
(10-08-2013 07:49 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I guess the only thing I can do is accept that one day I will be no more, as will the people I care about.

Now I just need to figure out how to accept it, as opposed to resenting it. Consider

Any advice?

It's OK to be sad about it. But acceptance is the answer.

I choose to just love what I have, not what I don't. Or won't.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2013, 08:24 PM
(10-08-2013 07:49 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I guess the only thing I can do is accept that one day I will be no more, as will the people I care about.

Any advice?

You are young, it's unlikely to happen any time soon. By the time it does, you'll feel differently about it.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to worry today about something that will happen a lot later, at which time you won't mind much.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-08-2013, 07:00 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 07:07 AM by Luminon.)
(10-08-2013 02:58 PM)morondog Wrote:  Luminon, we're humans. We all have hands and feet and enormously complex machinery inside of us. Is it surprising that we'd get aches and pains in similar places ? I'm asking, what else are these meridian lines other than common places to get funny sensations ?
Very uncommon places to get very uncommon sensations. Usually far from any nerve, vein or bone that could be consciously noticed.
What I describe is not an enormously complex machinery. It is a relatively simple macroscopic "machinery", more akin to wiring of an electric appliance, rather than cellular complexity.

(10-08-2013 02:58 PM)morondog Wrote:  Because you wouldn't have a special name for them unless you were also asserting something else right, that these meridian lines have some deeper meaning ? So spill the beans Wink
They do, actually. I wrote about that before. Over the years I have observed this curious effect. A period of psychologic soul-searching brings about changes in health (not always towards the better) and there is a corresponding activity in this energy-like system. Or alternatively, there is a health intervention (dental fillings for example) which are surprisingly accompanied both by strong "energy" feelings and shifts in worldview. And what I do the most, is meditation that brings about both other corresponding changes.

I strongly suspect that people, who decide to have piercing done in the face or other areas of the body are trying to do the same. The eyebrows, nose, lips, ears, these are all areas full of meridians. Piercing might have the same effect on releasing the energy that my extensive dental work had. It seems to me this triplicity of medical interventions, subconscious attitude to life and energetic meridians is all connected. People might be unaware of the energies, but they are still subconsciously driven to do a modern equivalent of acupuncture to their faces or other sensitive areas, to bring about the psychological change and expression that they crave. One must wonder what drives the people to all but deface their faces with piercing, implants and tattoo and it often is a form of self-expression, of exorcism. And it is of course an ancient cultural phenomenon. It is not a form of masochism, of desiring pain, I can not call it any other way than instinctive permanent acupuncture, to bring about psychological change. This might be the fabled root cause of psychosomatism and placebo.

(10-08-2013 02:58 PM)morondog Wrote:   
Other than that... if it works, mainstream science will catch on, even if it takes a while. Scientists are not *defining* reality, trying to make the entire human race believe one thing when reality is different, they are *exploring* it. We keep the good theories and chuck out the bad. Sometimes theories are fashionable and lots of people work on them, but any theory with any meat to it will be cared about by someone, and will have its day in the sun *when there is decent evidence* for it.

The fact that this chakra stuff has been around for so long and has long since been relegated to fringe science basically means that it's unlikely that it's got anything more to offer. But hey, enthusiasts like yourself may come across something. You'll need some whizzbang stuff to interest people though, some prediction, something you can *do* with your theory which shows that chakra's the correct way to interpret the experimental results... otherwise... no one will be interested...
I do not share your confidence that it is possible for scientists to eat an elephant one spoon at a time, without knowing or daring to acknowledge that it is an elephant. I say, there will never be anything but enthusiasts here and there, because without experience nobody knows what to look for. Fringe experience, described by fringe language, followed only by fringe science. Something that manifests quite unpredictably in population, yet reliably all across human history.

I wish scientists had such freedom as you describe. But I doubt funding committees share our enthusiasm. I would expect such research to be conducted in India for cultural reasons, but perhaps even there it would be as absurd as neurological study of halos of the saints. Be it a neurological study of mystical fire in saints' halos or yogis' bottoms, it is preposterous. Even I think it is preposterous. Only my senses say otherwise. They are very calming and reassuring in that sense.

History is marked by people, who conducted a research without good evidence, even based on a fallacy. They went out of their way to create this evidence, despite of opposition of other scientists. But that was in the days of Newton. We are beyond the days when a man working alone could produce a decent evidence in any scientific area. Science is today a great cooperative, international industrial effort. And this effort is determined by money, which means that returns of investments play a role in it. In my experience, scientists are conservative, cartesian bunch, never acting one step ahead of the confirmed facts. Maybe it's the Christianity that forces them to take a stand against anything that even remotely resembles woo. Maybe it's the funding policy, maybe a lifetime habit, a culture of distrust towards the processes of living neural tissue, a confidence in predictable, dead instruments. Well, we can hardly use dead instruments to study forces that only seem to manifest in living tissue.

I believe magnetoencephalography would be the best tool to study this phenomenon, it's not about the blood flow or physical changes in the brain, but the electric and field activity of the tissue that makes it so puzzling. Kundalini phenomena are typical for causing strongest sensations with little physical consequences. But you know how expensive and rare technology the MEG is. However, people such as David Shannahoff-Khalsa already pioneered this idea. Besides Bentov, Sannella and others, that's another name to add to the list.
11-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Well, that's as may be old boy, I got my hobby horse, I'd be churlish to deny you yours Tongue But I'm content to live in ignorance of the wonders of chakra until such time as your pioneering maverick scientist types gain the recognition they deserve and it becomes mainstream... although my hunch is that they've already got it Tongue
11-08-2013, 02:02 PM
(10-08-2013 02:07 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-08-2013 03:48 PM)Ameron1963 Wrote:  I am 50 years old, so it's basically too late for me to have children (and raise them). So, the question is academic.

Bah, nonsense. Tony Randall popped out 2 with a 26 yo hottie at the ripe old age of 77 before checking out at 84. ... Fucking stud.

Any 26 yo hotties want to pop one out with a 50 year old dude, who lives with his crazy brother? Doesn't seem like a good idea??? Can't imagine why! Think of what you missed!

You could have raised the kid, mostly by yourself, because I will die, long before you do! You could have taken care of me and my brother as we got older! I am not wealthy, so, you could live in a difficult financial situation! That's always fun!

Ahh! But the time you could have spent with my, neurotic ass!

Thanks, Girly! And love to you! But the idea of children, at this point is not logical.

Love would be cool! But that doesn't seem logical either.

I think you are concerned, girly, and I thank you for that! So, don't take my sarcasm as a personal attack.
11-08-2013, 02:43 PM
I think that people who have children at an old age are thinking more of themselves, than their children. That's why I think that I am no longer an acceptable father. If I sired a child, at my age (50), I would not have the energy to play with that child! It would be difficult, if not impossible to really bond. And I would be a couple of generations behind the child's life experience. What about the mother? Was she just a tool for reproduction?

I do think that adoption might be appropriate for older people. Especially of teenagers. But I am male. And I don't think you trust kid's with males! Males are predatory!

We are human. We experience love. We are not, inherently evil! But males are natural predators!

Any male, who tells you that he didn't notice that girl with the short skirt is LIEING! We see every female ass. We watch when you bend over, for tit! It's in our D.N.A.